Strep Throat - What to eat when it hurts to swallow liquid?

Options
I have barely been able to swallow for 4 days now. :(
My intake has primarly been sprite, ramen, tea w/ honey, ice cream (not really a good idea as any dairy creates mucus), and KFC Mashed Potatoes w/ Gravy.

Any other ideas?? Thanks!

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Baby food! Sounds crazy but it works
  • ajt1217
    ajt1217 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i add cough drops to my hot tea. i know it's not exactly an additional item to your list, but it makes the tea even more effective. i use about 6-8 menthol cough drops, usually honey lemon so i can skip the honey or sugar.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Broth or cream of wheat . Try to sick to warn liquids. They feel the best when your throat is swollen. Stay away from all dairy products until your better. The dairy coats your throat and adds to the discomfort. Are you on antibiotic or ibuprofen?
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    OMG I feel your pain :( I seem to get strep 2 or 3 times a YEAR :/ BUT I find what works for me is REST, and I absolutely love the "soup at hand" - the cream of chicken ones are the BEST! Also, I seem to eat fruit popsicles, mac & cheese & mashed potatos...hope you feel better :)
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    Oh hun! I'm there! Mashed potatoes are good ... I usually can't handle the noodles in the Ramen .. but the broth is awesome. I also use chicken or beef stock. Jello - pudding is good. They make sugar free 60 calorie yummies, If you can handle yogurt, try freezing some gogurt tubes. Your main goal is to get better ... I know how you feel right now, because I have strep too! It's not so bad yet, but I know tomorrow I won't be able to swallow. Hydrate ... for me heat works ... I like to heat up water and an ice cube in my mouth ... suck on the cube while sipping the water. The mix of hot and cold feels wonderful.
    I hope you feel better FAST!!!
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Baby food! Sounds crazy but it works
    Thanks, but I can't stand the taste of baby food.
    i add cough drops to my hot tea. i know it's not exactly an additional item to your list, but it makes the tea even more effective. i use about 6-8 menthol cough drops, usually honey lemon so i can skip the honey or sugar.
    I've been sucking on cough drops like crazy.
    Broth or cream of wheat . Try to sick to warn liquids. They feel the best when your throat is swollen. Stay away from all dairy products until your better. The dairy coats your throat and adds to the discomfort. Are you on antibiotic or ibuprofen?
    The tea has felt really good - until it cools off. :(
    I knew the dairy was a BAD idea, but it felt so good at the time.

On Friday they prescribed me Tramadol for the pain - stopped taking it cause it was making me puke since there was just about nothing on my stomach. Tried taking Ibruprofen - started making me sick.

Today I got a phone call that the culture they sent to the hospital lab came back positive (initial rapid strep test came back negative, but they sent the culture to the lab due to the 5% error chance) and they started me on Penicillin.
    OMG I feel your pain :( I seem to get strep 2 or 3 times a YEAR :/ BUT I find what works for me is REST, and I absolutely love the "soup at hand" - the cream of chicken ones are the BEST! Also, I seem to eat fruit popsicles, mac & cheese & mashed potatos...hope you feel better :)
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Oh hun! I'm there! Mashed potatoes are good ... I usually can't handle the noodles in the Ramen .. but the broth is awesome. I also use chicken or beef stock. Jello - pudding is good. They make sugar free 60 calorie yummies, If you can handle yogurt, try freezing some gogurt tubes. Your main goal is to get better ... I know how you feel right now, because I have strep too! It's not so bad yet, but I know tomorrow I won't be able to swallow. Hydrate ... for me heat works ... I like to heat up water and an ice cube in my mouth ... suck on the cube while sipping the water. The mix of hot and cold feels wonderful.
    I hope you feel better FAST!!!
    I've only had the ramen twice - the first time I couldn't eat barely any of the noodles - they felt like they got stuck in my throat. I should make some jello or pudding. :) I have some yogurt - hubby just picked it up w/ the antibiotic as I will need it to avoid other issues. I have a teeth issues, so can't suck on the ice cube. :(

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS!!