Edamame Lo Mein

Options
jlohern
jlohern Posts: 52 Member
I am a big fan of chinese, and lo mein is one of my favorite dishes. I wanted to share a fantastic, easy, and fast recipe.

Edamame Lo Mein (makes 4 generous servings)

8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
2 cups frozen edamame (shelled soybeans)
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4-1/2 cup water (for steaming veggies)
12 ounces broccoli slaw

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and edamame and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, whisk scallions, oyster sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add broccoli slaw and water. Cover and let the broccoli slaw steam until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the pasta and edamame. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is crispy in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sauce and stir to combine.

Calories: 345
Total Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
Trans Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 592mg
Potassium: 353mg
Total Carbs: 53g
Dietary Fiber: 14g
Sugars: 9g
Protein: 12g
Vitamin A: 63%
Vitamin C: 122%
Calcium: 11%
Iron: 27%

Replies

• jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of chinese, and lo mein is one of my favorite dishes. I wanted to share a fantastic, easy, and fast recipe.

Edamame Lo Mein (makes 4 generous servings)

8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
    2 cups frozen edamame (shelled soybeans)
    4 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup oyster sauce
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4-1/2 cup water (for steaming veggies)
    12 ounces broccoli slaw

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and edamame and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
    2. Meanwhile, whisk scallions, oyster sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
    3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add broccoli slaw and water. Cover and let the broccoli slaw steam until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the pasta and edamame. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is crispy in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sauce and stir to combine.

Calories: 345
    Total Fat: 7g
    Saturated Fat: 1g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
    Trans Fat: 1g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 592mg
    Potassium: 353mg
    Total Carbs: 53g
    Dietary Fiber: 14g
    Sugars: 9g
    Protein: 12g
    Vitamin A: 63%
    Vitamin C: 122%
    Calcium: 11%
    Iron: 27%
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    This sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it! Where do you find oyster sauce at in the grocery store? I've never cooked with it before.
  • mrsjo79
    mrsjo79 Posts: 123
    Options
    Yummy!:smile:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sounds very yummy. I'm going to try it tomorrow night.

Hey bla115: You can usually find oyster sauce in the asian isle of the supermarket, but if you can't find it there, you will be able to find it in any asian markets.

For those who don't know what oyster sauce is. It's not as gross as it sounds. The better quality ones are made with oysters, some are artificially flavored. It does not taste like oysters. It is commonly used in chinese cookiing. And if the recipe calls for it and you don't use it, you will lose some important flavor to the dish. I suggest you use it. I don't like oysters but like oyster sauce, kind of like some people can't stand tomatoes but love ketchup. :laugh:
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    i made this last night. i didnt like the soy beans but thought it would be great with shrimp. i really did love it. definately satisfied my chinese craving.