Elliptical

Options
I am trying to complete at least 80 mins a day on my elliptical....I have to break them into sometime 20 mins at a time...try to do 20 in the morning...then 20 at lunch..then 40 around 4pm...I feel it while I am doing it..but I just dont feel like it is effective...any advise??

Replies

• 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym tell me that the best effect is to at least do 24 minutes at a time. Your close to that, try for the extra 4 minutes.
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me that it is about the best cardio workout I can get on a machine. I did 26 minutes tonight, and I increase my time by 1 minute everytime I use it (I just started working out a few weeks ago). I sweat like crazy and it increases my heartrate, so its gotta be working for me :)
  • roadbiscuit2000
    Options
    I do 33 minutes a day with a variation in incline. It is 4 minutes at a low incline then 4 mintues at a much higher incline and then back and fourth. This made a huge difference and really improved my cardio workout. The 33 minutes are all at once in the evening, I have tried getting up and doing 33 minutes in the morning but have only managed to drag myself out of bed a few times in the morning to do it. I have had great success with the elliptical so I would say that it must be doing something for you.
  • chrissy122g
    chrissy122g Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it straight now for 3 weeks today...started 30 mins...1st week...then 60...now trying 80 mins 7 days a week...I do feel my legs are toning up...
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    for me personally, i dont feel like i get as good of a workout on the elliptical as i do jogging and running on the treadmill. it probably is one of my lower impact workouts. to get my heartrate up higher and up the intensity i make the most of the resistance and incline levels, that will make it more intense
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think that endurance cardio needs to be part of your overall routine. However, at a certain point, doing 80 min every day is just beating yourself into the ground.

A balanced program should include some longer, lower-intensity endurance workouts, medium-length tempo workouts and some higher-intensity interval workouts.

Doing 3 workouts a day is not going to give your body any time to recover--esp if you are doing it every day. I don't like to use absolute terms, but I can't think of any way you can do quality workouts with that type of schedule. You will soon reach a point of diminishing returns where you end up just plodding through the workouts.

I would cut down on the number of workouts and total workout time. I would also introduce some variety into your routine --varying times and intensities--so that you can both challenge your body and allow it to recover. I would also add strength training to your routine.