Zero results! Mega frustration!

Options
After an initial weight loss of 12 pounds I have now been stuck at 220 for three weeks. I can't eat any less because I am at 1200 calories already, and I am exercising more with zero results. Anybody have any suggestions? Oh, and no, my thyroid does not need to be checked - its been checked and is fine. I am so frustrated!

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? You need to NET 1200 calories, so if you burn 200 exercising, you need to eat 1400. Otherwise, your body thinks you're starving and holds onto the weight.

How's your sodium intake? Could it be water retention?

Have you taken your measurements? Maybe you're toning but not losing right now, and that would still be progress.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Someone told me earlier today to "shock" my body with a new exercise or food I'm not used to. I'm gonna try lets hope it works!
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    maybe eat more or check ur sodium levels
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    have you tried using body tape to measure? You may be putting on more muscle now, which will stop the scale from going down, but is better long term. i live by my body tape right now
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    sometimes if you mix it up it helps, Try doing another form of exercise if you have been walking, try bike riding, or try another exercise dvd, also mixing up your calories helps like eat 1000 cals one day and 1400 the next then 1100 the next then 1300 I know if sounds silly but it does help to mix things up. I did this and lost 4 lbs this week. Good luck I hope it works for you......
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    After an initial weight loss of 12 pounds I have now been stuck at 220 for three weeks. I can't eat any less because I am at 1200 calories already, and I am exercising more with zero results. Anybody have any suggestions? Oh, and no, my thyroid does not need to be checked - its been checked and is fine. I am so frustrated!

You can't just drop your calories to 1200 and expect to lose weight. It's doesn't work that way. You need to eat to lose weight.
    Find out your maintenance calories and eat 500 below that and eat your exercise calories.
  • moondove73
    Options
    I have been told by many people that if you eat too few calories your body goes into starvation mode and it is hard to loose weight. Maybe try adding more calories, like go up to 1350 or 1400 or try adding a little more excercise. Most importantly, dont be too hard on yourself. Hitting platues (sp?) is normal. But it does sound like you might actually be eating too little.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Definitely start by reading this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

And everything linked to here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again.

I’m betting you will have some lightbulb moments.

Your profile indicates that you are currently only feeding yourself with manufactured food (Yoplait yogurt & Lean Cuisine, restaurant meals). Your body is probably screaming for nutrients and is begging for you to feed it, not just put food in it. That is, with food that comes from living plants and animals.
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. Just keep doing what you are doing, Like the previous posts have said, measure yourself. You may be losing inches even if you aren't losing lbs. Try adding more strength training or increasing the amount of time you do your cardio. Don't get discouraged.
  • museonlife
    Options
    I am eating back my exercise calories and net 1200 or a little more each day. My sodium is not an issue. My measurements are the same. This is what happens every time I try to diet and why I have never been successful. I once dieted and worked out for three months with no result. My personal trainer threw up her hands in frustration. It is very hard to keep motivated with no result.
  • museonlife
    Options
    I am eating prepared food because I gained this weight eating VERY healthy, non-processed foods which I prepared from scratch. I am an excellent chef and I love my own food; lots and lots of very good food.
  • museonlife
    Options
    I have never seen a fat starvation victim.
  • museonlife
    Options
    I am maintaining this weight 220lbs eating only 1200 calories - I do not know what maintenance weight is.
  • lindalester
    lindalester Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    are you on any medications?

I feel the only time I lose is I have a high fibre diet....because of my FIT class ( physio) I believe I need 30 grams of fiber a day. I am just at the beginning of this though so Im sure I will hit a wall soon. Keep it up though, I believe that our bodies try to trick us into giving up...for me its like three lbs. then pause.................three lbs, pause.............
  • luv2balive
    luv2balive Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! 12 pounds is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Boy have I ever been there! The only thing that works for me when I get stuck is to first, take measurements. A lot of times, the scale may go up if muscles are firming up, but measurements go down. Second, slow down if you're exercising. More fat burns at 130 heart rate than 150. At 150, you're just burning sugar calories & you'll crave carbs. Third, try not to eat at least two hours before bed. Finally, drink water water water. On days when I get less than 12 glasses of water, I don't lose weight. Don't know if these tips will work for you, but they do for me. Been dieting my whole life since I'm a compulsive over eater :( I think I'm finally learning what works (at least for me).

Feel free to send me a line anytime :)
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds against better judgement, but try raising your calories to 1400 a day plus exercise calories. Sometimes your body just needs more to start allowing itself to burn. This will help keep your metabolism going too. 1400 calories is well below maintenance, so you should have no problem continuing to lose. I would raise your calories for 2 weeks and keep doing everything else the same way.
    It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job and are very aware of what you put in your body, that's great!
    Congrats on the first 12 lbs, the next 12 will be gone befoer you know it.

The other thing that might help is wearing a heart rate monitor. That leaves no guessing in terms of how many exercise calories you earn. I have the Polar FT 7 and love it!
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    Congrats on the 12 pounds! That's amazing! I was super frustrated too... I was working hard exercising everyday, watching everything that I put in my mouth, and no results. I spoke to a personal trainer and they gave me really great advise. I'm on 1200 calories a day too. So since I was exercising everyday I would eat back my exercise calories (about 250 or so). Putting me at 1450 for the day. The trainer said to me, try not eating back your calories. Try staying at 1200 for about 3 days (do not eat the calories back) then on the 4th day eat about 1400 calories to shock your metabolism and to keep from going into starvation mode. This helped me lose my initial 25 pounds!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Try to remember that its a marathon, not a sprint :) If you have dieted on and off for years, then your metabolism isnt going to react or respond in just 3 months. Thats only 90 days. Give it more time. Dont give up or throw in the towel! If youre confident in your calculations re: calories-in (reading food labels, trying to eat mostly fresh, non-processed foods, and accurately logging without fail) vs calories-out (making sure you are accurately calculating the number of calories burned through exercise...over-estimating can be as damaging as under-estimating) then you WILL see results again soon. Also remember that there isnt a perfect number of calories that will "fix" every single person. You will have to play around with your calorie intake and see what works best for you.
    (ie, I lost weight eating 1200 cals, but as soon as I started adding more cals in, i gained all my weight back PLUS more. Now that Im eating my BMR plus half my exrercise cals, I am losing at a steady rate (7 lbs in January) and never feel that word "diet" is appropriate in my life anymore. Its a lifestyle, not a diet.)
    Dont give up! Youre worth figuring out your own forumla for success!