Working out during "that time of month" safe?

Options
Okay, so I've heard all sorts of things about exercising during "that time of month"......some of which alluded to the fact that you're not supposed to do certain exercises while menstruating, among other things. Can somebody give me the facts? Is it safe for me to be doing cardio and strength training during "that time"? Can I do sit-up and other abdominal work? What's fact and what's myth?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• ukheather
    ukheather Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can work out no problems. You can do anything you like, it's all safe
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bump...i would like to know this too. I know that if i go for runs around that time or start exercising vigorously i feel very sick but this is only sometimes. Sometimes i am completely fine. I would like to hear some other feedback on this too
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As long as you drink plenty of water and stay hydrated you can do anything you want.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do anything you like. Some women get extremely depleted, so the general rule is if you start to get lightheaded or too shaky, you might want to slow down, but there's no risk of injury by doing certain moves. In fact, exercise can help relieve cramps and moodiness, so it's good for you during that time.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Having a rough time of the month myself, I always feel better after a workout during that time. Even if i have to drag myself kicking and screaming, an hour later I will be almost bouncing out of the gym.

it relieves cramps, headaches, sluggishness, and cravings - so go for it!
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Exercise in general helps with cramps, because it does something to the circulation of the uterus. I've read that this advice is often misinterpreted to mean exercise during your period (think of your gym teacher if you ever had to sit out games) when in fact it means exercise in general. I've never heard that exercise should be avoided. Like any exercise I suppose, if it's uncomfortable for you then don't do it.
  • KellyLawrence
    Options
    I am someone who unfortunetley suffers from quite heavy and painfull periods and have found that exercising deffinetley helps and my cycle has got alot lighter. Drink plenty of water and do something fun and you will deffinetley feel the benefits.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's never stopped me do anything.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've found that exercising during that time makes me feel better since I always feel rather bloated and sluggish and sore.
    Just make sure you drink lots of water and maybe not go too hard to start with because you can get light-headed if you do too much.
    As far as I know there isn't any particular exercise that you have to avoid either.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    That's insane, 18th century or 3rd world fokelore.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    That's insane, 18th century or 3rd world fokelore.

Agreed, we are no longer required to lay in bed, yay! :wink: You should be able to do anything you normally do and activity will help as the previous ladies have said. The only exercise type that has recommendations is yoga and a good yoga teacher will be able to let you know , if asked, which poses you will need to modify.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I know if your doing Yoga you should avoid certain poses while menstruating. Anything inverted (like Down Dog), or that arches your back.

http://www.yoga.com/ydc/enlighten/enlighten_document.asp?ID=74&section=9&cat=93

Ven
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It's an old wife's tale that it's dangerous to do physical stuff during your period.

I tend to be a lot more sweaty and bloated, and tire more easily. Of course, if you feel really awful, light-headed or have massive cramps, you want to take it easy -- go for a walk instead of a 50 mile bike ride or whatever. But moving around helps with cramps.
  • kelliekent
    Options
    It's absolutely safe, in fact I feel like a good workout actually helps me with cramps. I'd have to say it all depends on how you feel, personally. There's no medical reason not to.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Having your period doesn't stop you from doing anything. Well it doesn't stop me- I like to workout extra hard during so that afterwards when I weigh in I'm pleased with either the steady weight (no weight gain) or an actual loss in some pounds. Working out also counter acts the extra snacking that some woman do (myself included) I sure want chocolate during the beginning
  • genianc
    genianc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. The only problem I have during that time is that I want to eat everything in my sight! So, off to the gym :o) I have too many excuses as is... I can't afford to add "Aunt Flo" to it too - LOL!
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow, awesome feedback guys! (Or shall I say, girls!). Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I loved it! Off to workout I go! (Even though I just want to crawl in bed.....).

:) Lisa
  • blogger79
    Options
    It should be safe...

If I have bad cramps moving in any way KILLS me.. I have to lay completely still.. motionless.. so I don't tend to exercise then..

Or depends on the flow.. sometimes exercising make my flow a LOT heavier.. I am also one of those people who gets light headed and ill so I, personally, tend to take it a little easier.
  • kcushing
    Options
    Am I allowed to post? I am a guy. Anyway I read on a runners forum where women reported that their best race times were during "that time of the month"
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    t is completely safe to work out during that TOM.