Weight Loss Pills Help

Options
So I have heard a few people mention trying weight loss pills. Has anyone tried them? What type do you use? Do you believe in using them or do you avoid them?

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I personally avoid them - I think it's better to lose the weight on your own through healthy eating and exercise.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Avoid them. All have posible side effects. You can lose it naturally, it just takes more time, but why risk your health for something quick that may not last as good.
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    i got some from my doctor. phentremine. they worked really good. i lost about 12 pounds a month but i was eating healthy and exercising an hour each day sometimes more. if you do decide to use some, make sure youre eating right and exercising or else it will be a waste. good luck!
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    also that was over a year ago and i have kept the weight off. but you still have to make life style changes. its not a magic pill. you still have to work hard at it. good luck!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well no I don't mean instead of eating and exercising. People were just talking about pills to boost your metabolism.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    The weight loss supplement/diet industry is a multi billion dollar industry. If any of that stuff actually worked, it would be an industry in decline, since we would all be at a perfect weight by now. But as a nation we are fatter than ever and that industry is growing. Clearly they don't work, and some can be dangerous.

Additionally, almost all of them come with a recommended diet and exercise program....THAT is what really facilitates the weight loss.

Even a doctor prescribed regimen is not without risk...remember the whole Fen-Phen thing? And yes, I have tried a few in the past, but the only thing that works is a lifestyle change that includes healthy eating and exercise.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the pills. Most are either full of clinically unproven ingredients, laxatives, or have high amounts of caffeine or other stimulants. Since most weight loss pills are categorized as herbal supplements, they aren't tested or subject to government regulation as far as quality or effectiveness are concerned.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    So I have heard a few people mention trying weight loss pills. Has anyone tried them? What type do you use? Do you believe in using them or do you avoid them?

Avoid them - sure they may work for some temporarily., however once you stop taking them you are back to square one. It's the same with people that do Very Low Calorie Diets, you eventually have to go back to eating and you gain it all back, plus some.

and...... look at all the nasty side effects, most of them are associated with, long and short term. It's not worth it.
  • aseldomridge
    Options
    Avoid them! Most of those pills have dangerous side effects and from what my nursing instructor told us most of them are types of water pills. So the weight you lose will be through water not actual weight lose.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I tried to get phentermine but they are banned here so my doc gave me Meridia. They worked for about a week - 10 days. I just needed a jumpstart to help with the cravings, I never had that "full" feeling so this helped me to get a grip. I have lost more weight off them then on them but they did help get me started. I think though I read they are also trying to ban meridia as well.

I don't think "diet pills" are evil. I think they can help if used properly and as with EVERYTHING moderation is the key. If the plan is to use them to aid in a healthier lifestyle then great but if you are using them for a quick fix then put them down and walk away.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    dont bother wasting your money. it's not worth it at all.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I had gotten some diet pills once from
    the doctor. I took them early in the day
    and by eleven oclock that night I was
    still jittery. Not for me. Eating healthy
    is the way to go. Besides remember
    this is a lifestyle change not a short term
    diet. :bigsmile:
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So its all pretty much what I figured, thanks for your responces
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    lol I have tried asking for help w/ that on this site w/ no help. It was if I said I wanted to smoke crack. I guess MFP members typically prefer the all natural approach. Personally I have used Phentermine w/ great results. From the research I have done online, most of the herbal remedies are garbage allthough green tea actually does help w/ limited results. If you're looking for something allong the lines of Xenadrine, or Lipozene, or any of the "infomercial style" weight loss products out there that get hyped up all over the web, please be careful. While they do list ingredients many are not required to indicate actual strength or amounts so you never really know what you are getting or if the dosage is effective. Stay away from the HGC or whatever the name is. Newer tests have shown that the rapid weight loss from those on the hormone is primarily the result of the extreme low-cal diet that is required w/ the program. Save your money. Ally does work, blocking the absorption of fat but the downside is that unless you are primarily a SAHM and have easy access to a toilet (loose, greasy stools being primary side effect), I would not waste my money there either. To avoid the diahrea, you need to eliminate fat and unhealthy processed foods from your diet. If you can do that on your own, you really don't need the pill. Hope some of this helps. If you are looking for a plan I would say contact your doctor and ask for his advice or a referral. Internet steals and deals on unregulated garbage is not a good way to go. Good luck!
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the comments on here. In order to lose weight and keep it off you have to make a lifestule change. I did go to a weightloss doctor, Dr. Gupta in 2006, and he gave me Phentermine ( how ever you spell it) and that worked to curb my appetite and I did lose weight from it. But like with anything, it works for a little while but to keep that weight off you have to change your diet and you need to excercise. I think depending on what you want to take and what you do with your diet and work out will determine how well that stuff works for you.

I think if you just take those pills but still eat pizza and sit on your butt all day you might not see results. Also, diet pills work different for different body sizes. Say you weight 300 pounds and you should way about 150, it will be a lot easier for a 300 pound person to see results from taking these sort of pills than a person that is about 170 and wants to lose 10 to 20 pounds.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    lol I have tried asking for help w/ that on this site w/ no help. It was if I said I wanted to smoke crack. I guess MFP members typically prefer the all natural approach. Personally I have used Phentermine w/ great results. From the research I have done online, most of the herbal remedies are garbage allthough green tea actually does help w/ limited results. If you're looking for something allong the lines of Xenadrine, or Lipozene, or any of the "infomercial style" weight loss products out there that get hyped up all over the web, please be careful. While they do list ingredients many are not required to indicate actual strength or amounts so you never really know what you are getting or if the dosage is effective. Stay away from the HGC or whatever the name is. Newer tests have shown that the rapid weight loss from those on the hormone is primarily the result of the extreme low-cal diet that is required w/ the program. Save your money. Ally does work, blocking the absorption of fat but the downside is that unless you are primarily a SAHM and have easy access to a toilet (loose, greasy stools being primary side effect), I would not waste my money there either. To avoid the diahrea, you need to eliminate fat and unhealthy processed foods from your diet. If you can do that on your own, you really don't need the pill. Hope some of this helps. If you are looking for a plan I would say contact your doctor and ask for his advice or a referral. Internet steals and deals on unregulated garbage is not a good way to go. Good luck!

i just answered honestly as someone who has tried it all and found nothing to help me...so i dont think it's MFP not wanting to help in this topic. it's the honest truth - lifestyle change...havent we all heard that forever now?
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    They don't work. Weight loss pills are glorified caffeine pills. I took Xenadrine (ephedra-free) for a brief period in college and it did nothing but make my hands shakey and make me jittery. I lost weight but it was nothing but water weight. It's all a scam.