Low on Energy..Why??

Options
Okay so i started going to the gym a week back. ( before that i worked out at home and did a lot of walking) . I have healthy meals three times a day which includes a lot of vegetables and lean meat and whole milk. today at the gym i just couldn't work out , not that i ached at places but because i felt really low on energy . what could be the reason and how can i tackle it.? Also i have my breakfast 2 hours before working out. can anyone suggest a healthy breakfast , something that doesn't make me feel stuffed ( currently i have 2 whole wheat bread toasts and an omlette of egg whites and onion every morning).

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? If you're not eating back any of your exercise calories, you're going to get tired.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough carbs and fat in your diet to have the energy to work out and eating enough in general.
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    IMO, are you taking any form of multi-vitamins or supplements? You're body may be working harder than it's use too, so it may need a little bit of extra support. I stopped taking mine for a couple of weeks and needed to drink a ridiculous amount of coffee to get me going again. Also, breaking up your food to about 5-6 meals a day might help too, as it will spread the energy you consume throughout the day more. Hopefully this helps!
  • moses5885
    Options
    try only eating the eggs for breakfast and an hour or hour and half before wokring out. or just one piece of toast wit breakfast.
  • naidanueva
    naidanueva Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How's your water intake? I get really tired if I don't drink lots of water.

And I think your eating is fine. Although it's always good to vary your meals a bit.
    Most of the energy you get for a workout (especially if it's cardio) is from carbs. What your eating sounds good.
    I'm not too advanced on the working out, so I eat nonfat yogurt and a banana an hour before I work out.
  • frakyeah
    Options
    I find that porridge gives me the energy I need, try that with some chopped banana on top of it. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough. You should be within 100 calories of your MFP total after exercise. so if you goal is 1300 and you exercise for 500, you should eat between 1700 (1200+500) and 1800 (1300+500)

Some days you are almost 1000 cals under the MFP suggestion, and MFP already gives you a deficit of 500-1000, so your deficit may be as large as 2000 some days and MFP suggest no higher than a 1000 cal deficit. If you were a car you woulod be driving with an empty gas tank, if you want to move add gas to the tank (eat)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Wheat can give you that bloated stuffed feeling. If there is a fruit juice you like, try 1/2 - 1cup ten minutes before starting your workout. If your not eating enough then you may be constantly low or fully depleted of glycogen.
  • amison3
    Options
    Are you exercising everyday? Could be that you are not letting your body recover between workouts, i find if i train everday that by the end of the week my workouts are not performed as intense as at the beginning of the week.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that I always get very low on energy about a week before that time of the month, but as soon as it's here, my energy goes back up. At least with me, I know it's hormonal and that it will soon pass.

Another reason for low energy can be dehydration.
  • valerian101
    valerian101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Please note carefully what erickirb has written.
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough. You should be within 100 calories of your MFP total after exercise. so if you goal is 1300 and you exercise for 500, you should eat between 1700 (1200+500) and 1800 (1300+500)

Some days you are almost 1000 cals under the MFP suggestion, and MFP already gives you a deficit of 500-1000, so your deficit may be as large as 2000 some days and MFP suggest no higher than a 1000 cal deficit. If you were a car you woulod be driving with an empty gas tank, if you want to move add gas to the tank (eat)

Today, I ate even when i wasn't really hungry . Actually i have decided to spread my meals over 6 portions . That way i can eat my MFP recommended calories and also not feel stuffed .
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    Are you exercising everyday? Could be that you are not letting your body recover between workouts, i find if i train everday that by the end of the week my workouts are not performed as intense as at the beginning of the week.
    Yes i exercise almost everyday. On days i don't go to the gym i walk for almost an hour and half or more. Plus my trainer has planned my workouts in such a way that the work out is less extensive every third day.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    are you adding all your exercises into the diary? because you will gain more calories to eat for the exercise you do so if you feel cold and low on energy its because your blood sugar is low and you need to eat. good luck .x
  • jeffsmamakat
    Options
    I agree that if you are excercising a lot, you need more calories. Your body needs fuel and if you dont get it, it will ration them...thus metalbolism will slow down no matter what you do. Increase your calorie intake if you are going to continue to excersice alot, and be sure you are getting enough of the "good" fats...add some nuts or olive oil to your diet. That will also increase your energy and keep you feeling less deprived and more full.
    Good job!