Retaining 10+ lbs of excess water weight.

Options
I have a body comp done weekly at my nutrition clinic and since the end of June, I have been retaining an abnormal amount of water. It's now up over 10 pounds more water than I normally retain. I mentioned it to my Urologist and she said it's probably just the heat...but it hasn't even been hot here in NY state lately...it's driving me crazy! It seems to all be in my lower stomach...it's up 6 inches from normal. Is there any way to make it go away? I feel so huge and disguesting :sad: I can't fit into most of my jeans...it's horrible.

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    I have a body comp done weekly at my nutrition clinic and since the end of June, I have been retaining an abnormal amount of water. It's now up over 10 pounds more water than I normally retain. I mentioned it to my Urologist and she said it's probably just the heat...but it hasn't even been hot here in NY state lately...it's driving me crazy! It seems to all be in my lower stomach...it's up 6 inches from normal. Is there any way to make it go away? I feel so huge and disguesting :sad: I can't fit into most of my jeans...it's horrible.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water or tea.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    One of the recent Cosmopolitans out there went over 10 ways to drop water weight. #1 is to RUN from anythign sodium laden. If you're anything like me, that's rough!! But you can track it in your food log.

Also, it says to drink 8 ounces of water every hour. This will help your body release the excess water. It may take a few days (or weeks, in your case) but if you stick to it and limit anything that dehydrates it should bring you back to normal!!
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    I already drink 2-3 liters of water a day.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    One of the recent Cosmopolitans out there went over 10 ways to drop water weight. #1 is to RUN from anythign sodium laden. If you're anything like me, that's rough!! But you can track it in your food log.

Also, it says to drink 8 ounces of water every hour. This will help your body release the excess water. It may take a few days (or weeks, in your case) but if you stick to it and limit anything that dehydrates it should bring you back to normal!!

I keep my soidum under 1500 mg a day.

Isn't that unhealthy to drink that much? My nutritionist would yell at me...she says no more than 2 liters a day b/c it can deplete the salts from your body.
  • Dropka
    Options
    what about a water pill? i don't know much about them but... it's a thought
  • Fab140
    Options
    http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C576850.html

You've probably done a ton of research on it, but here's a site....

Also, it sounds kind of dangerous. I would personally seek out a second opinion.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    what about a water pill? i don't know much about them but... it's a thought

I don't know....I worry about taking them b/c I get UTIs a lot...and suffer from bladder spasms. If it continues, I may have to ask my doctor for a prescription or something.
  • Fab140
    Options

Isn't that unhealthy to drink that much? My nutritionist would yell at me...she says no more than 2 liters a day b/c it can deplete the salts from your body.

You wouldn't want to do it excessively. Just when you have a large amount of bloating, it's an aide to replenish the fluids in your body. Not recomended for daily use!

But, seeing as you follow a sensible water and sodium regimne, and your doc seems to be brushing it off, I would get a second and even a third opinion.
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Also, it sounds kind of dangerous. I would personally seek out a second opinion.

Thanks for the link.

In it...it says:

"When you repeatedly take laxatives, diuretics or vomit, your body will adapt to being constantly dehydrated by learning to retain more fluid than usual. When you stop these behaviors and start to take a normal diet, your body may continue to retain fluids until it learns that adequate fluid will be available, then it will release the extra fluid. People who abuse laxatives or vomit regularly are at the greatest risk for alternating between dehydration and edema."

Any idea how long it takes your body to go back to normal from it? I'm recovering from a 12 year battle with bulimia...but it's been a good 10 months since I was purging on a regular basis.
  • pinkpixies
    Options

You wouldn't want to do it excessively. Just when you have a large amount of bloating, it's an aide to replenish the fluids in your body. Not recomended for daily use!

But, seeing as you follow a sensible water and sodium regimne, and your doc seems to be brushing it off, I would get a second and even a third opinion.

I'll mention it to my ob/gyn at my upcoming appointment. She seems to be the best doctor I see and takes me seriously. I have already mentioned it to so many doctors but they don't listen...The Nephroglost checked my legs for edema but he said they weren't swollen...my renal function is normal...ANA was normal...CT scan was normal...it's driving me crazy b/c I know something is wrong (I have more issues besides the bloating) but all the damn tests come back normal! :explode:
  • Fab140
    Options

I'll mention it to my ob/gyn at my upcoming appointment. She seems to be the best doctor I see and takes me seriously. I have already mentioned it to so many doctors but they don't listen...The Nephroglost checked my legs for edema but he said they weren't swollen...my renal function is normal...ANA was normal...CT scan was normal...it's driving me crazy b/c I know something is wrong (I have more issues besides the bloating) but all the damn tests come back normal! :explode:

I'll pray for you sweetie. My DH has the same problem with doctors. Different issues, but all the tests are random and come back "normal". I take it that the appointment is soon? Hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer! :flowerforyou:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking Apple Cider Vinegar? Sometimes that helps with water weight.:flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Options

Thanks for the link.

In it...it says:

"When you repeatedly take laxatives, diuretics or vomit, your body will adapt to being constantly dehydrated by learning to retain more fluid than usual. When you stop these behaviors and start to take a normal diet, your body may continue to retain fluids until it learns that adequate fluid will be available, then it will release the extra fluid. People who abuse laxatives or vomit regularly are at the greatest risk for alternating between dehydration and edema."

Any idea how long it takes your body to go back to normal from it? I'm recovering from a 12 year battle with bulimia...but it's been a good 10 months since I was purging on a regular basis.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2052130_recover-from-bulimia.html

Congrats on the 10 months, that's great!! The above is a link to a check list for recovery. Have you had a chance to talk with a nuturionalist?
  • Fab140
    Options
    http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/bulimia.html

Another link for ya.....I didn't read all the way through, but it seems to use a natural way to treat the long term effects you're probably experiencing.
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Thanks for the link.

In it...it says:

Congrats on the 10 months, that's great!! The above is a link to a check list for recovery. Have you had a chance to talk with a nuturionalist?

yes...I'm still in out patient treatment and see a nutritionist once a week at my eating disorders clinic. She says I'm eating great and all.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Have you tried drinking Apple Cider Vinegar? Sometimes that helps with water weight.:flowerforyou:

I will try it! Thanks!:heart:
  • Fab140
    Options

Thanks for the link.

In it...it says:

yes...I'm still in out patient treatment and see a nutritionist once a week at my eating disorders clinic. She says I'm eating great and all.

That's great! :flowerforyou:

Has she added in any vitamins or supplements?
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/bulimia.html

Another link for ya.....I didn't read all the way through, but it seems to use a natural way to treat the long term effects you're probably experiencing.
    thanks! that looks very helpful! :bigsmile:
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Thanks for the link.

In it...it says:

That's great! :flowerforyou:

Has she added in any vitamins or supplements?
    I take a multi...and she wants me to take these digestive enzyme suppliments (to help with the indigestion) but they're too expensive for me to afford right now. :blushing: Plus the indigestion is slowly getting better...I'm able to eat more acidic foods than I used to be able to. :smile: