Does Dr Oz know what he's talking about?

Options

Replies

• NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oz knows what he is talking about within his belief system. I've caught some of his stuff a few times and think he gives both good and bad advice. But that opinion also comes from my belief system. Not everything works for everyone or all of this health and nutrition stuff would be simple. Keep in mind all the back tracking the medical community has to do on drugs, treatments, general health, cholesterol, saturated fats, fat in general, high carb etc.

Totally agree.

I've never actually seen his show, but the thing about TV doctors, therapist, etc. is that in an attempt to reach the largest audience they are forced to speak broadly. There are so many caveats to any medical recommendation, and medical research has new findings every day that we need to take all the advice with caution and a grain of salt. Dr. Oz might know his stuff but is unable to address all of the necessary details in the time allotted to him. It's probably best to take anything said as a jumping off point to do your own research as is relevant to your own medical circumstance.

VERY wisely put! :)
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I do trust him they would not let him on there if he doesn't know what hes talking about. I have found diff. controversies about topics within the fitness world!! Noone is completely accurate I think its about what you belive. I was reading a thing about biggest loser of not to have to much splenda etc but there recipe book I have tons of recipes have that in there.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oz knows what he is talking about within his belief system. I've caught some of his stuff a few times and think he gives both good and bad advice. But that opinion also comes from my belief system. Not everything works for everyone or all of this health and nutrition stuff would be simple. Keep in mind all the back tracking the medical community has to do on drugs, treatments, general health, cholesterol, saturated fats, fat in general, high carb etc.

Totally agree.

I've never actually seen his show, but the thing about TV doctors, therapist, etc. is that in an attempt to reach the largest audience they are forced to speak broadly. There are so many caveats to any medical recommendation, and medical research has new findings every day that we need to take all the advice with caution and a grain of salt. Dr. Oz might know his stuff but is unable to address all of the necessary details in the time allotted to him. It's probably best to take anything said as a jumping off point to do your own research as is relevant to your own medical circumstance.

Nicely put.. Here is an example of the kind of damage this kind of advice can do. We had a patient in the ICU, she is of the age group that generally does not ever question Dr's. (60yo and older) She stopped taking her medication for her pulmonary disease. When her pulmonologist came to see her in the unit, he asked why his normally highly compliant patient would do that. She replied, because Dr Oz said it was a dangerous medication. Hmmmm.. There are no medications that I can think of that are without risks. But the question that you deal with when working closely with a patient, is the benefit of the drug worth the risk?. In her case, yes it was, as this was a drug that literally kept her alive. And the risk was that long term use could harm the liver. While I agree that he can have a positive influnce on peoples health habits. He does dangerously cross the line at times. My understanding is he is a cardiologist, now primarly in the research field (and of course entertainment business). Would you think of taking advice for your lung disease from a heart doctor, who has never seen you, knows nothing about you, and lives all the way across the country. Of course you wouldn't. But with the show, it happens..
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    i think for the most part he is right. there is no way one could do everything he suggest. if something he suggest interests you i would say research it for yourself, although the www is full of opinions and no one can fully say which one are correct. i joke with my hubby when we research something and the answer we find isnt what we would like, i say keep looking and you will find something you agree with. best feedback would be post a post here and ask for feedback.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would trust Dr. Oz to give accurate information on the recent studies, but like others have said, a mass prescription can't be given because there are too many issues that can come up for individuals that would cause them to not fit the parameters of his recommendations. Ideally, the people who are watching his show are going to their doctor to learn more about specific recommendations. As for his fitness and nutrition advice, I wouldn't trust it without knowing that he actually has some education in the fitness and nutrition fields other then being a medical doctor. Medical doctors in general have only one nutrition course in their education background and no fitness classes whatsoever.

As for Jillian, most educated trainers don't like her because she has a weekend certification that wouldn't even get her hired in most gyms and gives inaccurate information and advice. The only reason she was on the show was because she was a casting agent when the show was created. I don't know Tony Horton's education level, but my professors laugh at him for some of the misinformation he puts out. Trainers should be held to the same same standards as other professional fields. A college degree should be required. A certification isn't enough education to teach us all we need to know about the body to give accurate advice. And a personal training certification barely covers macronutrients and should NEVER be the basis for a nutritional recommendation. The fact that Jillian recommends a specific diet for her clients or for the contestants on BL is illegal in most states because she isn't qualified to do that. I don't watch BL so I hope and pray that they have a Registered Dietitian actually working with the contestants on their diets and aren't following the recommendations in the book by Jillian that I had to review for my nutrition program because it was completely unsound.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

^^^ I agree with this statement. On a side note, I can't stand Dr. Oz. He's creepy and for some reason thinks people like touching dead people's body parts.
  • lizzieq
    lizzieq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a dietetics student, and a health foods store employee I think that the fact that he is advertising himself as a doctor is ridiculous. He may know what he is talking about but the way he conveys it to an uneducated audience causes consumers to self medicate and probably cause more harm than good. Then we get clients telling us that what we are asking them to do is not what Oprah or Dr. Oz or the Dr.'s said.. I feel like he makes everyone's life a little more difficult and frustrating than need be.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    He's full of *kitten* when it comes to nutrition.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    He knows how make money from fools who don't know any better.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    He knows what he's talking about if you ask him "how do you convince women to buy products you're getting paid to endorse?" But other than that, no, he doesn't know jack.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I feel that Dr. Roizen is the brains behind the operation and Oz is the looks/flirt! I do not think he knows much but gets fed information. Still like his books though :)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    re: Dr. Oz.

tumblr_lumlg3iIMK1qzozj1.gif
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz. USED to be good, he as since sold out and promotes more things by name. Which latte is better to lose weight? McDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts?

Really? NONE OF THEM are going to help. One might be less bad for your diet, but none will help.

He was promoting a cake that would help lose belly fat. How about no cake. That and you can't target fat on your body.

NEW Dr. Oz is crap as far as I'm concerned...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I love Dr Oz too. And, I think your your boyfriend doesn't know what he is talking about. Dr Oz is great and he knows what he is talking about.

Dr Oz is a quack that jumps on the bandwagon of the latest craze............no matter what it is.

Also, if he is such a great Dr, then why is Oprah still fat?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I trust Dr. Oz because he is has a stellar reputation in the medical field and with health professionals in general

reverse-3507yu7037.gif

Because Dr. Oz has given his official seal of approval to absolute and total nonsense, and he is evidently doing it for free. I would have more understanding if he were selling out; enough money makes almost anything legitimate.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/a-seal-of-approval/#more-18092
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    duck.jpg
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    No. He doesn't.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My opinion on Dr. Oz: He's a sell out. He has an MD... but it's all about the ratings, money, and job security.

When he advocates exercise and a sensible diet, that's awesome and common sense.

When he advocates quick-fixes like raspberry ketones and so forth? That's baloney.

He preaches the quick fixes because that's what people want to hear. They want a doctor telling them that they can eat papaya and their bellies will magically shrink without an ounce of work.

But it's nonsense.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Does your boyfriend have his M.D? No? Then he's 100% wrong.

This is ridiculous. While I usually support MDs against the 'lay person' because the MDs have years more education than the average person, MDs are not flawless individuals immune to the corruption of greed and power.

Besides, how do you account for all the MDs and PhDs that say Dr. Oz is full of ****? Someone's gotta be wrong. My money says the TV persona is wrong. He's got the motive to preach sensationalistic 'health news'.