Confession about exercising...

Options
okay, I guess we are suppose to be honest with each other right? I have been telling myself that after I lose all this weight, I would tone up by exercising then! I HATE exercising- and to be honest, I usually give up after a few weeks of exercising because I get burned out on it. I have a treadmill, an elliptical and many videos and just have them sitting in "park" all the time! I have lost 9 lbs, but I read about the p90x and results people get with that and I'm starting to think of trying it (I have that one, too) I really have no excuses, but how long will it take to see results? I don't measure myself b/c I never can come up with an accurate measurement. I am more of a "scale watcher" than an "inch worrier". It seems that EVERYONE but myself here exercises, so I feel a little embarrassed to admit that, but I am willing to change if I know what to watch for. I think I have matured enough to hang in there and give it time, but I would like to know with p90x approx how long I should give it before seeing a change- days, weeks, months...years LOL?

Replies

• HippyGalore
    HippyGalore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is there nothing you like doing, exercise wise? Exercise when your only goal is losing weight is a little bit depressing, but if the weight comes off while you are doing something you like it is win-win. Even if you like something you can only do once a week or so, the gym machines seem to have more purpose as they are helping you improve at that. I don't think another weight loss fad is the right thing for you, can you not try out some more interesting sports (climbing, canoeing, badminton, surfing...) and find one that you like?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed. Exercise isnt' always fun. The trick is to make it fun. I always hated it too, but I've realized in the past few weeks that when I eat right and get a little cardio every day, I feel SO much better. I have more energy, I'm in a better mood, it's just good all around. So I like to do it now. But I've also found something to make it fun for me. I do Wii Fit Plus and EA Sports Active 2, and they're fun because I get instant feedback on how well I'm doing, so it's kind of like trying to beat my own high scores.

I don't know about P90X, except that I've heard it's REALLY intense. I know I wouldn't be ready to take it on, personally. I think you have to have some base level of fitness before trying it. Other people can weigh in more on it though.

Whatever you decide to go with, try to make it fun. Whether it's good music, or maybe watching a movie while you run on the treadmill, or whatever, if you make it fun and change it up from time to time, you'll be more likely to stick with it. Good luck!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    okay, a couple of things. First of all P90X is a fabulous program from the fabulous makers of Beachbody. However, it is for the serious person who is in some good athletic condition already. I would urge you to please consider Power90 AKA P90 instead. or even ChaLEAN Extreme, again made by beachbody as well. I am doing CHlean Extreme and lost 10-3/4 inches in 3 weeks and I am not a skinny person.

Next, just do something to start with, Jumping into a major ex3ercise program is very discouraging when you are around 200 pounds (trust me that is where I am, I know). I first dropped about 40 pounds before I started to exercise, and the only reason I started was because I was feeling fabulous, that my body was screaming at me telling me to exercise. So I did, and have never missed a day since.

For now, listen to your body and just eat right and get some light exercise. The rest will fall into place.
  • traceytoo
    Options
    Not everyone !! :laugh:

I do not exercise except cycling to and from work 20 minutes each way ... when I lost 84 pounds a year ago, I got into exercise really heavily and was really toning up and I looked much smaller than I actually weighed .. but exercising at a gym is not for me, I prefer being with my son and boyfriend, otherwise it gets selfish, spending all day at work, then nights at the gym and I'm not prepared to give everything up for it.

My friends and I go for 2 hour walks, a couple of times a week (when the weather gets better) quite brisk walking (take the kids), so with that and the cycling it's enough for me .. I'm happy to accept who I am at 43 - I know how heavily you can get into all this exercise, obsessed even only for it to falter a few months later having purchased all the equipment, all the new work out gear etc, etc.....Am still paying for a gym now I don't use ...

Im not ashamed I don't go to the gym, or run, or use any hi-tech equipment .. It'll only gather dust in the long run anyway.

So - u r not on ur own, but at least you want to do exercise ...... go with what feels right for you, don't worry what others are doing, even if you just walk the dog / run up the stairs etc .. it's all good stuff
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I hate excersising to. I hate being fat more than excersise. So off to the gym I go :flowerforyou:
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tried P90. I love exercising, but I HATED that video. I did not stick with it. I recommend trying to stick with something you enjoy that burns calories.
  • AScheif
    AScheif Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It takes 21 days to form a habit....and 1 day to break it :wink: I use to be the same way, I HATED exercising!! But one day I decided to join a bootcamp class and I promised myself I would stick with it for a month and if I didnt like it then I would quit. I am happy to say that after a month I had met some really nice people in class and actually enjoyed going to class. That doesn't mean that I looked forward to it EVERY day, but I always managed to push myself to go and slowly it became easier and easier. Now I can actually say I enjoy exercising!

What I would suggest is find a buddy, a RELIABLE buddy that you can workout with, whether its in your home or at the gym, if you know someone is counting on you we usually hold ourselves more accountable....you can do it !
  • ShemusH
    Options
    I totally agree with "ajweekley". Exercise isn't fun, unless you make it fun, or find something you'd like to do. And like ajweekley, I too Wii Fit Plus, and also an awesome game for the Wii called "Just Dance 2" Dance to your favorite songs, shed the pounds, and have fun doing it.

gawds I sound like an advertisement for Nintendo lol But yea, it's key to keep it fun and interesting. But it's not just exercise it's watching what you eat. I found all the exercise in the world wouldn't do me any good, I'd go till I couldn't but as soon as I got watching what I ate, I was slowly at first cause I've just kinda started about two weeks ago, but it does put you in a way better mood about yourself, and about the day.

But yea, I digress...
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    That is a pretty intensive program for a non exerciser! I have known a few people who worked through it and would suggest starting out with something not as intensive and build up to this program.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My wife reached her goal weight and the most strenious "work out" she did was walking and Wii Fit. She just started Zumba a few weeks ago.

I agree with the others. Don't do P90X right away. You will likely not complete it. In Fact, I only know one person who has.

Find something active that you like to do. Tennis, golf, cycling, swimming, hiking, geocaching (www.geocaching.com), frisbee golf, anything that gets you moving. You don't have to exercise for exercise sake. I wrote a blog last week that touches on this subject: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iplayoutside19/view/i-worked-out-today-i-can-eat-that-63625
  • etherah
    etherah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Try and find something that you enjoy doing and you'll be more likely to stick with it. I have done P90X and it's HARD. I loved it but I was already in shape before I started and I wouldn't recommend starting it without being in decent shape. If you hate exercising, I can almost guarantee that you will hate it.
  • etherah
    etherah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    (I love geocaching!)
  • jamikulas
    jamikulas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    P90X is awesome! My wife and I did it together for the entire 90 days. The videos are great because Tony does a proper warmup and cooldown, and is brutal in the middle. BUT it requires a HUGE commitment. 6 days per week for 60-90 minutes each day (actually, most workouts are 1 hour...except Yoga which is 90minutes). When we were done with the first 30 days, we went on vacation with a group of friends. We received a lot of compliments. My muscle tone was improved, and my flexibility was 100% better, not to mention my cardiovascular health.

The only downside is that you need to purchase equipment: dumbells, pullup bar, bands, and yoga mat. It is a pretty big investment if you don't follow through. But if you "just keeping pushing play", as they say in the video, then you will see results in a few weeks.

With all of that being said, I have to be honest with you..P90X is HARD. If you don't like working out, then you probably won't be able to stick to the schedule. Before we did P90X, we did Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. It is suprisingly difficult and will get you sore. But the great thing about it, is that each workout is only like 24 minutes. You are supposed to do each video 10 times before moving on to the next video. It requires less time, less money, and less equipment. It might be a better place to start.
  • jimrogers
    jimrogers Posts: 23 Member
    Options

For now, listen to your body and just eat right and get some light exercise. The rest will fall into place.

Good advice.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    That kind of depends upon what your body looks like now. If you're carrying a LOT of excess body fat, there's a good chance that no amount of exercise is going to give you visible results super quickly. Your body might be changing--your muscles might be growing larger and firmer, and you might be dropping body fat, but it will be difficult to notice these changes visually at first. If you're a bit thinner to begin with, you could notice small changes within a few weeks.

I've used some of the P90X workouts (especially the Kenpo one), but I've never done the whole program. I have, however, done the Power 90 program, and I noticed increased definition and striation in my arms, chest, and shoulders, within a month or less...maybe even a few weeks.

Good luck reaching your goals! And hang in there! I know it's easy to become discouraged, but if you stick with it, the results WILL come.
  • susioryan
    Options
    Hmmmm. I guess you call it exercising but I call it taking my dog for a walk, snowshoing through the forest to hear the wind , or hiking with my dog through the hills, skating with my little girl who actually skates better then me. I guess its exercise but to me it's spending quality time with myself, my daughter and my dog. If it helps me lose a few more pounds all the better.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Only exercise I do is the Wii Fit and walking the dog. The only exercise I enjoy is swimming but I have seizures so don't like to go alone. I lost weight doing weight watchers and just walking for about 2 hours a day a few years back so hopefully will be able to lose this time round too.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    If you are a scale watcher, then P90x is NOT for you. You will build muscle, you will get stronger, and you will see big changes really quick in your physical appearance. Having said that, the more muscle you have, the faster you burn. I didn't lose much (maybe 5 lbs) on P90x like other have claimed to but now that I am done with my 1st round and moved on to more cardio based exercises, the weight is falling off quicker than it was before I did P90x because I have more muscle.

The nice thing is that the video are different daily, and you aren't just doing the same BORING repetitious things that you would do on a treadmill.

If you like a challenge like I do, then go for P90x. I say give it at least 4 weeks and you don't just feel good about how your body is looking and feeling, then switch, but at least give it that 4 weeks.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice! I have decided that p90x is NOT where I'm going right now :) I guess I sounded a little lazy and I'm really not- I live on a farm and I'm forever out with the animals feeding, walking, sometimes running after some or whatever the case, even going up in the hills to check on the cattle daily, so I'm at least moving around alot, but I just consider that all in a days work! I do get out with the hubby and kids and play basketball and from that point of view, I do quite a bit. I just feel guilty I guess b/c I don't log any of that and feel like I should be on an exercise routine. But like some of you said, maybe I should listen more to my body and keep doing whats working! Thanks mfpers:wink:
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked out in probably for 6 months before starting P90X. I was in the worst shape of my life! But I'm still a pretty athletic guy and I've always enjoyed working out. So I don't know if I'd listen to others about you need to be some what in shape before starting or not. But I do know that P90X is tough. If you hate exercise and normally quit after a few weeks, I honest don't see you sticking with it. It's 60 mins of high impact work out. From lifting weights, yoga to cardio.6 days a week! But you will see results. At the end of my first week I noticed my stamina was way up. I drop about 10-15 afters 2 weeks. I'm sleeping a little better and just more energy. I love this program!