Does Wine/Alcohol delay weight loss

Options
I started eating healthier last week and have noticed significant results, but I've pretty much given up alcohol to obtain those results. My question is how much does wine and alcohol impact the weight loss process? I enjoy wine, but I also Love "froo froo "drinks. I think it's safe to say that the froo froo drinks contain a ton of sugar so I've given them up completely. But what about wine or drinks that only contain rum or vodka and a lime. Are they as dangerous if you're really serious about obtaining your weight loss goals? I'd like to know if I should cut them out altogether or would it be okay if I drink them in moderation. I've had a few glasses of wine since I've started and still lost 5.5lbs in a little over a week. So I wonder if as long as I continue to work out and log my calories from the wine into my food diary if I'll be ok. Or if I should just cut the alcohol out until I reach my weight loss goal. Any feedback would be helpful.

Signed,
LOVE MY WINE!!

Replies

• KatherineVictoria
    Options
    I have heard it does impact the ability to lose weight, but I haven't had that experience. I think it depends on what you are drinking and a persons body type. Great to stick away from the sugary drinks though! Moderation is key with everything it seems!
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    There's lots of calories and sugar in wine and alcohol. I would limit it to once a week on a cheat day. I love wine too and used to drink a glass about 3-4 x a week. Not anymore because Boons Farm is so full of sugar and calories! Now I try to stick to low calorie beer or 1-2 glasses on my cheat days.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It will slow your process down. Alcohol acts as a carb and well, for me carbs are not my friend, a major foe. I think an occasional glass of wine is fine and has its place but the froo-froo drinks are not helping ya any. I know not what you wanted to hear, but I gave up my drinks, and really don't miss them one bit. I am enjoying better health instead much more.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    My trainer always told me that alcohol is a brick wall for your metabolism!!
  • claire0928
    claire0928 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has a lot of empty calories but if you really love it and aren't having a problem losing weight than I don't think it's an issue in moderation. I LOVE wine and I can't give it up totally. I've cut back significantly but I still have a glass a couple times a week for dinner or if we go out. Occasionally I go a month or so without alcohol if I'm having a stall in weight loss but I know that I won't ever give it up totally so i might as well work it into my plan instead of trying to add it back later. That's just my opinion though!
  • KenzieKidwell
    KenzieKidwell Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I was doing weight watchers I would use 25 points a day. I noticed that the weeks that I did not drink at all I would lose 1.8- 2.3 lbs. Compared to the weeks that I would have a drink (still consuming a total of 25 points with the drink) I would only lose .6-.8. I am not saying that if you drink you will not lose but I have given it up for now so my weight will come off faster!!!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I heard that one glass of wine is actually good for you!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Most of it is empty carbs (sugars), if you're more than interested in weight loss you should drastically limit consumption.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My trainer always told me that alcohol is a brick wall for your metabolism!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Read this article:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=563

Also, when you drink, make sure you entry calories from the alcohol as well.
  • jwb201
    jwb201 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The reason alcohol is bad is because of the process your body takes to break it down. Before your body breaks down fat it breaks down carbs. Before carbs it breaks down alcohol.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love wine too!! It's been such a struggle in maintaining my weight. It's not just the empty cals in the wine but it's also the relaxing effect. I think it makes me lazier and I also think I eat more when having wine with dinner. Also, I noticed I am more likely to have a late night snack.

It's a terrible, terrible thing. Because I love my wine. The idea of giving it up completely is unthinkable!!!!
  • nilisabel
    Options
    alcohol is metabolized as a fat, although it isn't a fat. It is 7 calories per gram and that is more than a carb or a protein (4 cal/gram) and less than a fat (9 cal/gram). It is a toxin that crosses the blood brain barrier and it causes dehydration, which could make your body try to hang onto salt and water, which might cause you to retain or even gain a small amount of weight. It does decrease inhibitions causing you to eat more, plus you have to eat and drink to make sure you don't get sick drinking on an empty stomach. Personally, I feel funny for a couple days after a night of drinking with friends and i tend to eat more the following day or even two days. Alcohol impairs your sleep staging, despite its hypnotic/sedative effect that put you out. You don't sleep well and that causes blood sugar levels to fluctuate, which also leads to eating foods that promote weight gain.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above responses.

Alcohol drinks are loaded with empty carbs, which turn to sugar. If you are drinking every night, yeah it's probably going to impact the rate at which you see results. If you are only have a glass or 2 once a week, probably not as much. Make sure you log the calories from it though!

As for me, I don't drink at all. There's really no health benefits from drinking alcohol. True studies say a glass of wine is good for your heart, but you can get those same antioxidants from foods. Not to mention what alcohol can do to your liver, brain chemestry and other organs and body functions. Just my thoughts!
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    For me, not really. I do notice that when I'm eating my normal calories (1200-1500) and then have a drinking night of 500+ empty calories of alcohol, I do not lose (and possibly gain 1 or 2 pounds.) But usually, I plan to drink on certain days anyway. On those days, I either workout a little more or cut out a few snacks to make room for the empty calories. Doing that, I stay on track. But some people simply can’t do that (or rather not) so don’t bother to drink at all.

If you want to drink, you can always stick to lower caloric based alcohols…unfortunately, that leaves out most malt or mixed based beverages. While dieting I would stick to white wine, vodka, or light beers.
  • KeenaAdams
    KeenaAdams Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is Gooooodd info! Thanks to you all! I will try to continue the drinking in moderation and hopefully get to to a point where I can wean myself off completely. I have to remember that Alcohol is the enemy and the reason why I packed on the extra 25-30lbs in the first place. I think I was really just trying to convince myself that it wasn't :-) At least I have all of this great info that I can always refer back to whenever I'm feeling weak for a drink.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I am an evidence based practicing therapist, so I always look for legit research to back things up and this is what I found:
    Do I drink? YES, lol.

The nutrients protein, carbohydrates, and fat can be stored in our bodies, but alcohol cannot. For this reason, it takes priority over everything else in order to be metabolized; doing so means that all of the other processes that should be taking place are being interrupted. Other nutrients need to be broken up prior to being absorbed, whereas alcohol is absorbed as is.
    Drinking alcohol will give a negative effect on the metabolism of the body particularly to the aspect of fats metabolism.
    The amount of energy that fats can give to your body through the process of metabolism is limited by the effects of alcohol that you take in your body.

The ability of your body to bring on lipid oxidation or the burning of fats will be greatly hindered by even just a small amount of alcohol. This was the findings of researchers and as published in the American Journal of Clinical Research.
    Further research on this matter revealed that when alcohol passes through the liver, acetate is formed. And the body, instead of burning fats for energy will burn the acetate instead of fats.
    The other bad effect of alcohol in the body is that it prevents the proper processing of vitamins and minerals which are needed in the natural function of metabolism. This is because of the process by which the liver converts alcohol to acetate. During this stage, minerals and vitamins that are supposed to be processed by the liver will be over shadowed by the system of detoxification and would be wasted through this process.

*Alcohol provides many calories in a small volume and can end up being a source of unwanted extra calories and weight gain. One study showed a 20% increase in calories consumed at a meal when alcohol was consumed before the meal. There was a total caloric increase of 33% when the calories from the alcohol were added.

*Alcohol is considered a poison by your body, and all efforts are made to excrete it, including the cessation of maintaining healthy blood glucose levels. Studies have shown that alcohol interferes with all three sources of glucose and the hormones needed to maintain healthy blood glucose levels
  • KeenaAdams
    KeenaAdams Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is sooo depressing, but necessary information. I appreciate it even if I don't like it LOL.
  • bri293
    bri293 Posts: 92
    Options
    Thanks kerriBB37 for that information! It doesn't mean I'm going to give up my few drinks that I enjoy, but that information is great to keep in mind.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can say from personal experience that since I stopped drinking alcohol 3 weeks ago, my weight loss rate has improved significantly, more than doubling from 1 lb per week to approximately 2.5 lbs per week, with no other changes made. For me, the calories from alcohol hurt, but the food choices during drinking and within 24 hours of drinking hurt just as much if not more.