excersise calories?! eat them or not

Options
So I'm 10 days in and loving this website! I am curious if it is safe to eat your excersise calories? I usually try not to but am hearing that I should? Any input or opinions would be great.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should eat at least most of them. MFP already gives you a caloric deficit to meet your goal, if you exercise that deficit grows, so to keep your deficit at your goal level you must eat your exercise calories.
  • SamWTFx3
    Options
    It's really your choice.. But you at least need to eat the 1200 calories, for sure.
  • Laurine
    Laurine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I asked our fitness coach at work and he suggest not to eat the exercise calories. He said I would just be erasing the exercise I did. Made sense to me.
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    You need to eat some of them to reach what MFP says should be your calorie intake. Say you have a 1700 calorie intake. You burn off 700 working out. That only leaves you 1,000 calories for intake. That will put your body into starvation mode. You need to eat some but not all of them back. I usually make it a habit to eat about 1/2 of what I work off. So I burn up 700 at the gym and will put 350 pack into my body. Starvation mode for your body is bad and will make you start gaining or quit losing at all.

Hope that helps.
  • debbielynn66
    Options
    I'm still new too, and just found on another post that we need to be eating the exercise calories to lose weight..! Who knew??!! Anyway, now that I read that, gonna start eating the extra cals today!
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I NEVER eat them. I know allot of people will tell you to eat them but I don't and have had huge success.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    Yeah, I agree! You shouldnt be eating them because you would be putting to waste all the hard work in the gym. Theres no point in being on a 1200 calorie diet / excercise plan when you eat as much as you excercise.
  • chelsiburnett
    Options
    I was like you at first and didn't know what I should be doing, but I tried to just eat my 1200 calories at first and lost about 8 pounds which was great, but then I hit a weight where the scale wasn't budging!!! i tried everything and nothing was working, so this last saturday I decided I was going to try and eat some of my exercise calories back and I have lost another 1/2 pound within those three days! I think it works, but that is just my experience!!
  • erickirb
    Options
    It's really your choice.. But you at least need to eat the 1200 calories, for sure.

1200 Net, so if you goal is 1400 and you burn 400 you should eat between 1600 (1200+400) and 1800 (1400+400) If you goal is 1200 you should eat them
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    You should definitely eat at least 1200 a day. Then if you're truly hungry (not bored or upset) you eat some of your exercise calories, but don't force yourself to eat just b/c someone says you should eat half or all of those calories.
  • kvns83
    kvns83 Posts: 29
    Options
    I would say it depends on how you set up your goals. If you said you would work out for x # of days, for x # min., then your calories to reach your goal has been adjusted. If you didn't make fitness a goal and it is extra then you should eat them so you aren't at too much of a deficit. Worst thing for your body is to go into starvation mode. No matter what tho you will lose, the only thing that will change is how fast you lose.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Yeah, I agree! You shouldnt be eating them because you would be putting to waste all the hard work in the gym. Theres no point in being on a 1200 calorie diet / excercise plan when you eat as much as you excercise.

Wrong, exercising will help develop muscle and when you lose weight you won't be "skinny fat". the only way you should not eat your exercise calories is if you have 100 or more pounds to lose, or if you are eating at maintenance calories. If you ate at maintenance you will get more calories each day and you can let your exercise create the deficit for losing weight. Eating too little Net calories is not healthy over a period of time.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat them and if I do, I only maybe tap in a few 100 calories. When you take an excercise from MFP database who knows if it is truly what you burned unless you use a HRM. It is up to you. There are a bunch of article on this topic as someone posted earlier.
    It appears to be really important to eat them especially if you are 10 pounds away from your goal as your body needs more fuel to for the amount of excercise you are doing. When you have a lot left to lose it isn't as critical.
  • erickirb
    Options
    You should definitely eat at least 1200 a day. Then if you're truly hungry (not bored or upset) you eat some of your exercise calories, but don't force yourself to eat just b/c someone says you should eat half or all of those calories.

Hunger is not the best indication of nutritional requirements, if you exercise your body needs more fuel.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat them. I see no point! I am trying to lose weight, eating those exercise calories just makes it a longer process. I eat around 1500 - 2000 a day. I think that is more then enough.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I very rarely eat them. I see no point! I am trying to lose weight, eating those exercise calories just makes it a longer process. I eat around 1500 - 2000 a day. I think that is more then enough.

MFP does not recommend more than 2 lbs per week which is a 1000 caloric deficit/day so if you are set to lose 2 lbs you should eat your exercise cals or your weight loss may not be "healthy" and there will be a greater chance of burning off muscle, when you are really trying to lose fat.
  • maxolivia
    Options
    I always eat my exercise calories and I have lost 26 lbs since Sept.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

MFP does not recommend more than 2 lbs per week which is a 1000 caloric deficit/day so if you are set to lose 2 lbs you should eat your exercise cals or your weight loss may not be "healthy" and there will be a greater change of burning off muscle, when you are really trying to lose fat.

I don't believe that 2lbs a week thing is correct. I think each person is different. I know last time I had to drop some weight, I ate about 500 - 1500 calories a day. I dropped extremely fast. Never got sick or had any problems. I even worked out a lot more then because my job kept me really active.
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Spitfire, Did you keep it off when you stopped eating that way?