Best Artificial Sweetener

MariahNS
MariahNS Posts: 23
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I know that some people would say to cut out all the fake sweetener....but it ain't gonna happen for me. I love Crystal Light take alongs and Splenda tea. I usually stick with Splenda because it is supposedly made from sugar and not SO artificial. Lately I've seen Truvia...is it better? Are there any better ( and affordable ) options? Whatcha think?

Replies

• I have used Truvia - I heard it was one of the ones that are "better" for you however, they ALL give me a headache. Anybody else have this problem?
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Bump.

(I use splenda with fiber, but I am curious what others think too.)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Truvia is gross. Seriously gross. I had it in one coffee and through out the entire box!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    not only does truvia taste awful but i do have headaches with it too! yuck
  • use stevia its a natural alt. to sugar and its good for u
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    I've switched from the Splenda to the Truvia. In our area, I had a little trouble finding a good supply of the Truvia because the stupid supermarket buyers don't realize the difference between STEVIA and Truvia.

I tried one small box of Stevia packets but ended up tossing it in the trash~~~BITTER after taste. Yukkk!

The Truvia product is made from the tender portion of the stevia leaf (rebiana). It simulates the sugar taste very well. I recently stocked up on an 80 packet box plus a jar of the "spoonable". The spoonable jar is handy when mixing up a recipe that calls for sugar. I don't use much of this because I'm not a sugar craver (potato salad, mayo, yes... but that's in the past).

Claire :)
  • I bought the Stevia to try it in my coffee and it tastes nasty too, I want to try to bake with it though and see how that works out!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Stevia here as well. As pure as you can get it without all the additives that some companies will add to make their version unique.
  • mpj485
    mpj485 Posts: 15
    Stevia (Truvia is one brand) is the only truly natural no calorie sweetener there is. I'm a splenda girl too, I just can't not have sweet in my coffee. I am told however that Splenda is really bad for you, like all the other artificial sweeteners. It is expensive to buy Truvia and I have yet to find a cheaper alternative. When I finish off my last bag of Splenda I plan to look for some healthier alternatives, I'll let you know what I find.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    We have tried many ariticial sweetener because we can't have sugar for health reasons. I have to say that my favorite is Ideal No Calorie Sweetener. It has a wonderful flavor with no after taste that is bitter. I use it in everything. I have done tons of reading on it to see if it has bad side effects and the only one I could find was that it can be fatal to dogs. It has many health benefits though. Here is one website I was reading on. http://ezinearticles.com/?Healthy-Benefits-of-Xylitol&id=358103 I have been reading tons of info on it. You can google it to read some about it.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    You are right, some would say eliminate it all but l am not a purist so use the same things you do. I have cut down the amount I use for example going from 5 splenda in my large tea to 2 , I have a wicked sweet tooth I am trying to tame. But from what I have read there is no definitive study to indicate that artificial sweeteners have negative effects like cancer or increasing desire for dugar.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    I tried Truvia because I saw it promoted on the Biggest Loser. I went back to my sweet n low, because it took a lot more of the Truvia to get the sweetness I wanted than it does the sweet n low
  • Thanks! Sweetener in my coffee is a must, too!
  • Stevia (Truvia is one brand) is the only truly natural no calorie sweetener there is. I'm a splenda girl too, I just can't not have sweet in my coffee. I am told however that Splenda is really bad for you, like all the other artificial sweeteners. It is expensive to buy Truvia and I have yet to find a cheaper alternative. When I finish off my last bag of Splenda I plan to look for some healthier alternatives, I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks! Gotta have sweetener in coffee and tea! Let me know what you find!
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    My wife is a big fan of Stevia as well, you can usually find it in most popular grocery stores. For coffee and tea I still use sugar, it's only 15 calories for a teaspoon, overall I don't mind those calories.
  • Is Splenda really that bad for you, if you limit your intake? Just like most things, moderation is best. I usually use just two packets a day, one in my morning coffee and one in my yogurt. I can't imagine that can be too dangerous. I just prefer the taste compared to the other sweeteners.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    i generally use Splenda, but have been cutting down. Sweet N Low gives me a wicked headache!
  • I tried one small box of Stevia packets but ended up tossing it in the trash~~~BITTER after taste. Yukkk!

I absolutely hated Stevia... I tried it because everyone said it was so good for you and amazing and I cannot possibly stomach it... it tasted horrible.
    I've heard that Splenda is really bad for you, but seriously - is it worse than everything else? Half of the sugar-free things have Splenda, which means either I quit eating all together or find something I can use.
    Truvia is scarce around here, I rarely see it.
  • I wonder how bad Splenda could be for you. Anybody have any specifics?
  • My registered dietician and nutritionist encouraged me to use Splenda over the others, I don't see how it could be as bad as sugar or worse, I just use Splenda, even as a diabetic, haven't had any problems :)
This discussion has been closed.