TAKE YOUR VITAMINS!!!

Options
That's all I seem to hear these days: You'd better be taking a daily vitamin if you're planning on eating healthier and losing weight! The thing is, I've tried a variety of daily vitamins throughout the years, but every single one made me feel very nauseous. No matter if I took it in the morning, before I ate, later in the day, after I ate, whether I have it with a beverage or no beverage - I cannot keep from getting nauseous! I want to take my vitamins, but I don't want to always run to the bathroom shortly afterward with my hand over my mouth! Number one, does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what have you found that keeps you from feeling nauseous? And number two, what is your opinion of a good daily vitamin?

Replies

• Aitenev
    Options
    I had the exact same problem. I tried a variety of brands, with meals, with milk, morning, evening...you name it, I tried it. I just could not take a multivitamin without getting nauseous. What finally worked for me is taking chewables. I now take Centrum chewables every day and never have a problem. And I'm a firm believer in a daily multivitamin. Good luck!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have 2 suggestions:

1. If you really want a daily vitamin, I'd try something easy on the stomach. There's actually a prenatal vitamin that Target sells (I'm sorry I don't know the name off the top of my head - I'll try to repost when I get home) which has all the benefits of a regular vitamin but does not make me nauseus (I've actually vomited from taking vitamins on an empty stomach before).

2. Try buying some VitaMuffins. They're muffin tops (in the freezer section) that are 100 calories, taste delicious and have at least half of the DRA of all your major vitamins. I don't take a vitamin now, I just eat those and I can usually get the rest of my RDA from the rest of my food.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Sorry, third suggestion: I got adult chewable vitamins from costco and they dont make me nauseus
  • Simonscat
    Options
    I think extra vitamins is silly...
    You should be getting enough vitamins in your daily food intake anyways.
    It's just one of those cons, because they are so expensive too!

I need to research it, but I think there has been some scientific papers published about how bad vitamin supplements can be! especially Iron tablets!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleListURL&_method=list&_ArticleListID=1627315280&_sort=r&_st=13&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=2451f9ccaf9091073384c97dcba80eaa&searchtype=a
  • lynx__13
    lynx__13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I get nautious every time I take 'One a Day Weight Smart' vitamins. I have no idea what causes it and would be intrested, as well, if anyone else has any input on this topic? But, that's the only vitamin I have noticed that I have a problem with.... sorry I am not much help.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I think that happens to just about everyone, vitamin pills are really hard on the stomach. My advice is to take it right before you go to bed, that way you sleep through any discomfort. Works for me, good luck.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    Vitamins have always made me sick.
    I started taking Melaleuca vitamins and I take them right before I go to bed. No problems!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I do the multi vitamin at night as well as a supplemental calicum & supplemental D.
    It's working for me. Thus may not work for all.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Vitamins have always made me sick.
    I started taking Melaleuca vitamins and I take them right before I go to bed. No problems!

That is AWESOME to know! I signed up with them and just got my first pkg a day. Gonna try my vitamins in the morning. Yeah!! I have heard great things about them!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Try taking men's vitamins. Little to no iron in them which is frequently what causes nauseau. Good luck!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think extra vitamins is silly...
    You should be getting enough vitamins in your daily food intake anyways.
    It's just one of those cons, because they are so expensive too!

I need to research it, but I think there has been some scientific papers published about how bad vitamin supplements can be! especially Iron tablets!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleListURL&_method=list&_ArticleListID=1627315280&_sort=r&_st=13&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=2451f9ccaf9091073384c97dcba80eaa&searchtype=a

I'm severely anemic I have to take extra iron. One article doesn't make vitamins invalid.
  • hansenh1
    hansenh1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin B6, B2, and Vitamin D... all boost up your metabolism! :)
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try taking Adult Gummy vitamins. Target carries some, and Trader Joe's has some that are only 15 cals for two! It's a treat because they taste like candy, and they can double for a dessert after dinner/lunch.
  • debgonzales001
    Options
    I take the One A Day VitaCrave Chewable Adult Vitamins and they don't make me sick.!!! Hope that helps!!!
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Train, Take your vitamins, and say your prayers, watcha gonna do brothers!
    Sorry, i thought this was going to be about Hulk Hogan, ha.

Anyway, If a daily vitamin upsets your stomach, I would try a chewable or even gummy vitamin, I'm guessing those would be less likely to upset your stomach. good luck!
  • adrienc
    Options
    you can also try to take one half in the morning (after your breakfast) and the other half in the evening (after your dinner)
    That will give you the same daily intake, with half of the nauseous feeling. Chances are you might even not feel nauseous at all!

It's also better for you because it regulates the amount of vitamins you're taking over the day, and your body will assimilate them more efficiently. Otherwise, if you take one entire pill at once, most of it will be eliminated anyway next time you go to the bathroom =)

As for cutting your pills, you can find a pill cutter for very cheap in any pharmacy. They are super easy to use.
  • Lcm726
    Lcm726 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take Rainbow Light vitamins. When I took prenatal Naturemade vitamins they made me sick to my stomach. But the Rainbow Light vitamins don't seem to bother my stomach. It's probably because there's nutritional support herbs in them.
  • jillerin457
    Options
    I second the idea of Gummy Vites -- they are delicious and never make me queasy! Unfortunately, none of them seem to come with iron, which is the main reason I take vitamins (I don't eat much red meat or dark vegetables), and iron is probably what makes you sick.

The suggestion to cut pills in half sounds like a good one. The One a Day Women's pills are HUGE and I usually gag when I take them!
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    I would maybe try kids gummy vitamins.:smile:
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I take the Womens Active Pack from GNC, it has no added Iron (that's what makes your tummy hurt). I eat a banana, take half the pack, then workout. During lunch I take the rest of the pack. You have to split it up and take them twice a day because the vita packs are preservative free.