My Holy SH*# Moment came this morning....

Options
So I decided, since I've been doing well in my weight loss to date - 27 lbs since Nov 1 - that I would finally try on some of my golfing clothes that I bought in the summer of 2009 (notice, that was only 1.5 years ago) and I thought for sure they would fall off of me.. when, in actuality, they are still somewhat snug compared to being loose when I bought them!

I couldn't believe it!!! I have a bunch of clothes that are now too big but to have clothes from 1.5 years ago STILL be snug????? That means.... I gained 30 lbs in exactly 1.5 years!!! HOLY SH&$!!! That's A LOT of weight to gain in 1.5 years!!! That means that if I didn't start this program in November, in 3 years from now, I would be 300 lbs!!!!! WTH??!!!

I think back to my eating habits from 3 months ago and don't see how I must have been eating 3000 calories/day every day!! I'm sooo glad that I started this program and that I'm doing very well - that's not a concern, but I was in trouble and never really knew it until now... I am still baffled by how that was even possible!

My boyfriend even told me he doesn't believe I gained that much - we met 2 years ago and he said I am smaller now than I was when he met me BUT if that's the case, then why are those same clothes still snug?? I washed them when I wore them so they didn't shrink... I don't get it.. but i thought I'd share my moment with you. Thanks for reading! :)

Replies

• Tchiku
    Options
    Eylbrown,

I wouldn't give it too much thought, I think you're doing extremely well. 27 pounds in about three months is really good. I hope I can get there in that period of time!
  • eylbrown
    Options
    Thanks, it was just more of a wake up call really.... good luck to you in your journey!!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It can sneak up on you fast and if you have lots going on in your life you don't even realize you are gaining. Awareness is important .
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You are doing pretty great btw!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I know the feeling. I've gained 30 lbs. in about a year and a half myself. That's why I'm here -- I was gaining 5 lbs here and 5 lbs there without really adding it all up, but when I weighed myself at the doctor's office while waiting for my son's appointment and realized that I was 35 lbs heavier than I had been at my last checkup, that was my lightbulb moment. It's scary how the weight can just creep up on you.

Congrats on your success! You're doing an amazing job. :)
  • eylbrown
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words! It's true, you never really notice it until you weigh yourself or you are forced to by new clothes... but no more! lol I must have been eating terribly considering I haven't really exercised in the last 3 months and have lost what I lost by just eating better and less! lol
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yup - I had the same moment when I did the same thing (even with golf clothes!)... I am now making it my own personal agenda to educate people on portions. We think what we eat is reasonable, but in fact A LOT of people overeat - not all bad cals, just TOO MANY! I think this is what's missing in the Nation - good education on portion control. If everyone measured what they eat 90% of the time, we wouldn't have the obesity problems that we do. Great going on seeing the difference.