Goal Food Exercise = Net
1300 720 - 540 180

this is what it gave me above ^
but I don't know what net calories are?

Replies

• Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It's how many calories you eat vs how many you burn during your workout. So say 2000 in and 600 burn will give you 1400. Most people here say you want around 1200 net.
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Net calories are the difference between what you've eaten and the exercise you've done. You want your net to be as close to your goal number as possible.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aeryn69/view/the-great-calorie-misconception-64913 this might give a little more insight.
  • KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    but I don't want to eat all of my exercise calories. I want to lose weight....
  • dylynn
    Options
    I know I can't eat the extra calories after the exercise......i have a hard time eating what i am suppose to to begin with! I don't eat alot but way overweight this is very hard for me to adjust to.:noway:
  • dylynn
    Options
    My son found this site and am so thankful....gives me motivation to eat right and exercise just to see my numbers at the end of the day!
  • KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I decided it was too confusing so I'm going to add my exercise calculations at the end of the day instead of when I finished the exercise.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    MFP sets up a healthy deficit for you in order to lose weight. The plan here is to maintain that deficit exactly, not to increase it to potentially unhealthy levels.
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Exactly stormieweather. When you don't eat your exercise calories you run the risk of your body losing weight too quickly and setting yourself up for illness and health problems. MFP already has a calorie deficit built in to the calculations it sets up for people - eat the recommended number of calories (including the exercise calories) and you should lose weight.

People really need to STOP equating eating calories with gaining weight. Calories are ENERGY, it's what your body needs to function every day. You want to give you body enough energy so that you can continue on this journey for the long haul!