In a rut and need help....

Options
My 9th grader came home with information from her school to take a 1st ever trip out of the country.. We will be going to italy and greece and rome....We will see all the major places and I am so excited but I am also upset..due to my back condition other than watching my calories and the light housework I don't know what else to do to accelorate my weight loss... I do not want any quick fix pills or shakes....Does anyone have any excercises that may not be so stressful on my back that I may be able to try?

Replies

• MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    years ago i had a back issue and there was a prescribed set of exercises called Williamson exercise or William's exercises that were to strengthen lower back. it worked well and It never recurred. dunno what your issue is but if you can find the they worked well.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Sunshiner, try some of Leslie Sansone's DVDs. Most are low impact and there's no jumping or strenuous activity. I was able to do them with a shoulder spur, foot spur, and arthritis in my knees. Good luck, that sounds like an amazing trip!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Using exercise bands may help out quite a bit. There are a few DVDs out that have exercise bands workouts. You can also go on youtube.com and get some ideas as well. The bands are great because they pack easily and you can get quite a good workout. Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

God Bless!

Shawn
  • janaoakman
    Options
    If you have a place you can do water aerobics I highly recommend that over any exercise for your back or joints....Have fun on your trip I did that tour a few years ago, it was awesome!
  • katrinadizzle
    Options
    Water aerobics. I worked in a gym & they're specifically designed fore people with problems like that. :)
  • acahill18
    Options
    try a light yoga class. i have serious back and hip issues and a light yoga class mainly stretching and working on building muscles helps a lot !!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you. I have lower back problems with a curve in the spine. Some health issues that kept me down for 3-4 months and meds caused muscles to weaken. That added some pounds that didn't help. I have been going to physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in the abs and back. One excercise is to lie on the floor with knees bent. Breathe in and press your lower back to the floor(put your hand on your belly button to feel the lower back flatten to the floor) hold for a count of 5 and breathe out. Start with a set of 10 and build up to as many as you can do ...weekly.
    Another one: get a cheap ball at Walmart, Dollar Gen or where ever you shop that is about 8inces in diameter. Lie on the floor with knees shoulder width apart. Put the ball between knees and gently push your knees against the pressure of the ball. Again breathe in and flatten the small of your back to the floor. Hold for a count of 5. Set of 10 and add more as you can.
    anotther one: get a resistant band. Lie on the floor with knees bent, Tie the band around the knees -somewhat tight-then gently spread your knees and feel the resistance...spread to shoulder width. push out with your knees. Again breathe in while doing the excercise with the knees and flatten your back to the floor. To make sure you are put your hand on your belly button.

After doing the count of five and flattening your back, on each excercise you do relax for a count of five. I hope you can understand these. These are very good excercises. I believe some of these are beginning Pilates. I have orderd myself a dvd of beginners, low-level pilates. The stretches for your muscles and strength building for the muscles will strengthen your back.

Good Luck!
  • Sunshiner29
    Options
    Thank you all very much it was so helpful...I do have a gym locally that does water aerobics so I will try it. Thank you all again.