Constantly Tired

Options
i'm so tired lately. i have zero energy, i've been having fitfull sleeps, and on the weekends, all i can think about it having nice, long naps. i know i am severely overweight, so that definitely does not help, but can you guys recommend any foods or anything that will give me lots of energy, and help me to get some more exercise in and not make me me conk out by 4pm? thanks!

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    i'm so tired lately. i have zero energy, i've been having fitfull sleeps, and on the weekends, all i can think about it having nice, long naps. i know i am severely overweight, so that definitely does not help, but can you guys recommend any foods or anything that will give me lots of energy, and help me to get some more exercise in and not make me me conk out by 4pm? thanks!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think an EXCELLENT investment would be to visit a Naturopath if you haven't already. They have the same extensive education and knowledge as MDs but they look at the WHOLE picture and can be a huge help for things like this. :flowerforyou:
  • liltwynkl1
    liltwynkl1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not getting enough good carbs? Make sure you get carbs from whole grains breads and pastas and fruits and veggies. Also if you're taking a daily multi vitamin already starting to may help. I take vitamin b-complex pills which are really important for energy and stamina. But that's all i can think of....hope something helps!! :smile:
  • chubbymom
    Options
    I so had this issue. I still like my occasional nap with my boy, but not so much anymore.
    Working out 6 days a week cardio for about 30-45minutes has really helped. It helps me sleep better at night too. Once the weight comes off you will get more energy promise!!! :wink:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Second both comments -- you need to burn enough energy during the day to ensure a quality, restful sleep. Another thought for you -- swim or water aerobics... excellent at tuckering out the body and easy on the knee and ankle areas.
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm only 8 weeks into "the change" (so take this for what it's worth) but I had the same issues before i started making diet changes. In truth, I was getting worse each month to the point that I was almost falling asleep after lunch every day and was a hazard on the drive home at 5pm. This is no longer the case and, looking back, I believe it's not the change in foods but the way I changed my eating habits that made a difference.

Previously, I had a very small breakfast, a "regular" lunch (sandwich & chips, burger & fries...etc, with a "treat"), a snack when i got home and then a normal dinner (similar to lunch in quantity). The night would usually end with me foraging through the cupboards for small handfuls of munchies. Basically, I usually went ~8 hours between lunch and dinner and was hungry all night, tired all day. I was eating ~1200+ calories at lunch & dinner and almost nothing in between, then some light foraging at night.

I have since forced myself to eat at least 250 calories for breakfast, a mid morning snack (fruit, Fiber One bar, baggie of Cheerios, etc), a small lunch (1/2 sandwich & soup, small garden salad w/roll, etc), a late afternoon snack (carrots, single serve tuna, yogurt...) and a light dinner. I almost always have room at the end of the day for a fat free jello cup or a 100 calorie indulgence. My lunches and dinners are always around 600 calories or less - no more gorging. As a result, I am sleeping much better, am not sleepy in the afternoon or the drive home and I have a lot more energy. Feeding the fire in small, even bursts helped me even out the energy level and feel good all day. That, and making smarter choices that dont spike my sugar jones.

The other (non-medical) thing that might contribute to this would be a low calorie intake; are you eating all the calories your BMR states you should (not the "1200 calorie" minimum)? Take a look at your diet, maybe something can be changed to make things better for you.

I wish you the best and hope you find an answer that works for you - I know how weary that makes you feel! Cheers.......Mike :flowerforyou:
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    are u stressed out about anything and thinking alot. that will also cause u too have restless nights and be very tired. also if u are just starting to work out and using muscles your not used to using, your body will actually try to shut down to repair itself. just some thoughts. good luck
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    For tips on sleeping well, read also the topic http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23935-sleep-and-exercise-and-food-and-stuff
    Good luck
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked recently?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Second both comments -- you need to burn enough energy during the day to ensure a quality, restful sleep. Another thought for you -- swim or water aerobics... excellent at tuckering out the body and easy on the knee and ankle areas.

Excellent advice on the water :happy:

I do water aerobics each day (excellent workout and like shared...easy on the knees/other joints)..5-6 days a week and strength training 3 days a week. I've got some temporary sleep issues now only because I'm not keeping to my regular sleep scedule but when I do I sleep great!

I changed to eating 6 small meals a day...that has also helped tremendously in keeping my blood sugars/energy leveled out....instead of bouncing all over the place. SO that's eating every 3 hours...making sure you get in PLENTY of water really helps as well. :happy:

When I first started working out last year I had to come home and lay down for 1/2-1 hour to feel like I could move again, I was so very tired when I first started excercising....but I don't find I need them anymore...exercise, along with healthier eating gives me SO MUCH energy....

Perhaps your body is going through a process as you add in healthier foods...sort of like a cleansing of sorts....:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Water water and more water really seems to help energize me.

Hope something in here helps a bit....keep us posted ok?:happy:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Magnesium helps with the sleepiness / energy levels during the day. I take a powder that has magnesium & potassium and that really helps.

Foods with magnesium in case you don't like supplements are:

Spinach
    Sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds
    Salmon & halibut
    Navy and black beans

I'm sure there are more if you google it.
  • squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    marmite!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal. Without knowing your complete profile, including your meals, exercise, when you eat, your numbers (height, weight, activity level...etc), and your sleep schedule; we can't really do much more then throw darts at a board blindfolded. If you post all of these, we might be able to offer suggestions, but without these numbers and facts, we're just taking shots in the dark.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal. Without knowing your complete profile, including your meals, exercise, when you eat, your numbers (height, weight, activity level...etc), and your sleep schedule; we can't really do much more then throw darts at a board blindfolded. If you post all of these, we might be able to offer suggestions, but without these numbers and facts, we're just taking shots in the dark.

Amen, again, Banks. Plus, there are many medical conditions that could be causing this, so just throwing stuff out there might not be the answer. Look at everything and consider seeking doc's advice, too.
  • ellelit
    Options
    well i know my lack of energy has alot to do with the fact that i'm 160 pounds overweight. i've been to the doctor several times, for blood sugar tests, thyroid tests, blodd tests, bloodpressure tests, ct scans, ecg's etc. and i am healthy, other than being fat (however contradictory that may sound). so here are the stats

5'7
    308 (as of this morning)

i walk at a mild pace at least 20 inutes daily to work, and at least 20 minutes on one of the weekend days.

i generally eat at: (if eating plan is followed)
    7am - cereal and milk
    8:30- banana
    10:30 - fruit, yogurt and fibre snack (like fibre cookies)
    12pm - lunch, usually fibre crackers, 100g of protien, 1-2 cups of low sodium soup, a piece of fruit and sometimes something choclatey
    2pm - granola bar
    3:15 - veggies (carrot sticks, cucumber slices) handful of almonds
    5pm - piece of fruit
    6:30 - 1 cup grains, 2 cups veggies, 4oz lean protein
    8pm - 100 cal snack.

when i eat this, i fell satisfied for the whole day, but i still dont have a ton of energy. when i binge and eat my face off i feel so lethargic the next day, i dnot even want to get out of bed. i guess i do know what the problem is. everything comes back to being fat, and the answer is to eat right all the time, exercise more and lose weight. it's the answer to all of my issues.
  • ellelit
    Options
    bump
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Heya elleit, hope things are going better for you girl! :flowerforyou: I soooooo know what ya mean about feeling lethargic all day! Boy howdy, the print of my sofa was tattooed to my butt, I swear! :sick:
    So, exercise decidedly DOES help! After making myself do it on a CONSISTENT basis, I actually miss it when I can't go! Really! Just try to build in small steps hun, that way you can rebuild the confidence that leads to even more success. :wink:
    I log every calorie burning activity (yes, we even wore our HRM's for that one too, once *giggle*) and log everything that I eat and drink. I keep my food diary up on my screen all day long, so every time I jiggle the mouse, I see *exactly* where I am at, and can plan on what to do next. :tongue: What we are doing now, (and looks like maybe you already do) is learning to spread the calories, as needed, thru the day. I used to be a "3 Squares a Day" guy, but now (thanx to Banks, and some other great links in here) I am trying to learn that it's actually GOOD to have those healthy (including carbs) snax thru the day! :noway: Hope any of this helps, just take it one day at a time, and build from there! Hugz! :drinker: :flowerforyou: