In need of suggestions for strength training education!

Options
Hello there!

So I love going to the gym now, but I am spending a huge majority of my time on the elliptical or treadmill because I have absolutely NO idea what to do about strength training. I go to 24 fitness, and they have tons of contraptions and weights, but I really have no idea what I should be doing! I use a couple things that are obvious to use, for arms and legs, but I avoid everything else. I'm still heavy since I've really just gotten into this, so i'm concerned that there are some things that I can't do, or shouldn't do, but on top of that I don't know where to start.

If anybody knows of any resources for me to study up on to plan a good strength training routine, I would very much appreciate it!

Replies

• SharronF
    Options
    Most Gyms do a walk through when you join them to make sure you know what contraption is for what, they will also have fitness trainers that will work out a plan for you to follow.
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    Yeah they didn't do that with me, and the trainers are more than I can afford right now. I know some of the basic ones, I'm just not really sure what I should be doing. I feel like just working my arms and legs isn't enough, and with what I know I'm usually done in less than 20 minutes.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    ok, so i consider myself to be quite savvy about weight training and I owe a lot of my knowledge to OXYGEN magazine. This mag is so great. It is for women, it has workout routines every month, it explains how to do all the moves / use all the machines, and it works different body parts every month. There are also good recipes and great stories. I always go to the gym w my oxygen mag. :)

i find that having a set routine stops you from wondering around aimlessly not knowing what to do. And while cardio is fantastic, you will really start seeing some great results once you add strength training into it.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing, there are some great magazines out there!
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    Next time you go to the gym find a Gym Instructor (NOT a personal trainer) and explain that when you started you weren't shown how to use the resistance equipment and ask for them to show you what you need to do. By law they have to show you how to use the equipment to a 'competent level' - this should include a basic routine for a healthy adult - All of it is FREE! :smile:

Failing that (you'll need to identify the machines you have at the gym) but something simple like:

Leg Press - 2 sets of 10 reps
    Leg Curl - 2 sets of 10 reps
    Chest Press - 2 sets of 10 reps
    Lat pull down - 2 sets of 10 reps
    Shoulder press - 2 sets of 10 reps
    DB Bicep curls - 2 sets of 10 reps
    Tricep Cable Machine Push Downs - 2 sets of 10 reps
    Crunches - 2 sets of 12 reps

- Do 10 reps, have a 30 second rest, do another 10 - move on.
    - Use a weight heavy enough that you struggle to complete your second set (with good technique) - if you can do this, increase the weight a little.
    - When you have no problems with 2 sets, add a third
    - Repeat this 3x a week with at least 1 rest day in between each

This will only work for around 4 weeks, afterwards you'll need to mix it up (use different exercises to target the same body parts, or change the order you do it in).

Good luck! :smile:
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Hello there!

So I love going to the gym now, but I am spending a huge majority of my time on the elliptical or treadmill because I have absolutely NO idea what to do about strength training. I go to 24 fitness, and they have tons of contraptions and weights, but I really have no idea what I should be doing! I use a couple things that are obvious to use, for arms and legs, but I avoid everything else. I'm still heavy since I've really just gotten into this, so i'm concerned that there are some things that I can't do, or shouldn't do, but on top of that I don't know where to start.

If anybody knows of any resources for me to study up on to plan a good strength training routine, I would very much appreciate it!
    A good website (though its focus is more for body builders, but do not let that put you off) is http://www.scoobysworkshop.com

This has information in simple to understand language about muscle and the impact of exercise, and exercises to do, including little videos to watch. It may give you ideas of what to do, that you can adjust to suit you.
  • amygam42
    Options
    Does your gym offer any strength training classes? I am not a fan of classes generally as I am very uncoordinated, but I do love the strength classes at my gym.
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the info!

I think they do offer classes, although I haven't looked into them yet. I have to go in the evening though, so I've never seen anything going on there yet.
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you want more suggestions but http://www.stumptuous.com is a great website, particularly for ladies.
  • fitbot
    Options
    oooo classes are also amazing. I would totally switch up the cardio by taking some!
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    Thanks for the website! I'm never done learning things, so I'll definitely check it out!

I'm not sure I'm ready to do a class yet. I'm still pretty uncomfortable when I go to the gym. Self consciousness definitely goes into overdrive, and I rely heavily on my headphones to make me feel more like I'm alone when I go. I would love to do a class, I'm just worried about being panic stricken the entire time!
  • fitbot
    Options
    i totally get it, about feeling self conscious in a class, but honestly, classes are really supportive.
    Talk to the trainers and ask what you should take which might be more low impact (i wouldnt jump directly into an advanced cardio kick boxing class), tell them you are a beginner and they will definitely walk you thru it. Most gyms have classes for all levels. stay in back. and follow the best you can. honestly i am so uncoordinated that half the time i am doing the opposite of what the trainer is trying to get the class to do, but no one cares.
    try a yoga class maybe just to get the feel for it.
    good luck!
  • fitbot
    Options
    and re being panik stricken... ask yourself : what is the worst that can happen?

there is no end of the world terribleness if you screw up the routine.
    everyone was a beginner at some point.
    working out is an always learning and improving process
    it is important to be able to laugh at yourself.
    you might actually end up having a lot of fun. :)
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    Thank you again :) I do need to work on the mentality of everyone started somewhere. I really appreciate your help!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Failing that (you'll need to identify the machines you have at the gym) but something simple like:

This is an excellent basic routine with big compound exercises at the beginning throwing in a few isolation exercises at the end. Really nice. Many people neglect to work their legs and back which not the way to go in my opinion.

Personally I would swap the order slightly and do the lat pulldown (working up to an unassisted pull up) before the chest and work the triceps before the biceps but that's just me being overly picky.
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    Thank you! I'm definitely trying that routine in the next couple days. I think I know what most of those machines are, but I can make a list on my phone (which is my mp3 player so comes with me) and find the machines I don't know. Everything there has a label on it with basic instructions.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm definitely trying that routine in the next couple days. I think I know what most of those machines are, but I can make a list on my phone (which is my mp3 player so comes with me) and find the machines I don't know. Everything there has a label on it with basic instructions.

Nice one. Having a strong, functional body has so many benefits over and above the vanity side of it (although that is nice!) I wish more women would get into resistance training.

I'm not sure if it is the same where you are but in the UK as Whitestar said you must have a basic induction on the use of weight equipment. This restricts the gym's liability for user injury due to misuse so they should be falling over themselves to provide this to you. It should be free as well. I would definitely ask at your gym's customer services section and tell them you haven't been provided with this yet. It really helps if someone shows you the ropes so you start off in the right way...
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    This is an excellent basic routine with big compound exercises at the beginning throwing in a few isolation exercises at the end. Really nice. Many people neglect to work their legs and back which not the way to go in my opinion.

Personally I would swap the order slightly and do the lat pulldown (working up to an unassisted pull up) before the chest and work the triceps before the biceps but that's just me being overly picky.

I agree - my own routine is hugely different (but then again my goals are totally different). The set up of this one is just a simple 'push/pull', 'push/pull', etc routine as it forces the body to work that little bit harder by transferring blood back and forth across the body as opposed to a few pushes in a row + few pulls in a row which requires a little less work. The next logical step for a whole body workout is the upper/lower/upper/lower sequence which work as well! Either way though, what you've suggested works just as well and the order difference is so minor that it probably wouldn't make a noticeable impact anyway! :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Agree as well. Nothing complicated. Straightforward exercises.

At this point (beginner) you don't need anything more complex--almost anything will stimulate improvement and you want to get to a point where you feel comfortable and confident.

Build on success. Leave every workout feeling like a winner.

There were plenty of days when I was starting a couple of years ago where I just did the first 5 exercise (more sets and on some free weights) and maybe a row and that was it. Worked fine--and my abs, biceps and triceps improved as well.

Come to think of it, I STILL have days where that's all I do........:wink:

Sometimes short and simple is all you need.
  • adrienc
    Options
    bump that one for later read