Eating out /vacationing

Options
Hello everyone!
So, I have a problem. My boyfriend enjoys taking me out to dinner quite a lot (aren't I lucky :P) but he never picks where to eat because he knows I'm going to be conscious about my caloric intake. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can lighten up a bit, and still generally know what to eat and not completely sabotage myself? I'd like not to be super uptight all the time, like I have been... but at the same time I'd like to keep losing weight!

Also, we're (boyfriend and I) are planning two road trips coming up in March. We're going to Universal Islands of Adventure for his birthday, and then over spring break we're hitting up all four disney parks...
A) what is there to eat at theme parks thats not completely terrible for you?
B) I need general vacation eating tips! Again, i'd like the food anxieties to be kept under control so i can actually enjoy myself!

Thanks everyone!
Katie

Replies

• Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    Great Topic!! I am actually going on vacation to orlando at the end of this month, and am getting anxious about the food part too! I'll be interested to see what people say!!!

:)
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I generally lean toward grilled chicken and steamed veggies when we go out to eat if at all possible.
    Salads can be a good choice too but you REALLY need to watch the cheese, salad dressing, bacon bits, etc.

Good luck!
  • juleslianne
    Options
    Great Topic!! I am actually going on vacation to orlando at the end of this month, and am getting anxious about the food part too! I'll be interested to see what people say!!!

:)

Me too! Minus the Orlando portion haha.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Don't think of yourself as being uptight, but think of yourself as being good at weight loss and health. For eating out, the best bet is actually to eat mostly at chain restaurants, because they publish their nutritional information online and you can make smart informed choices before you go. If you go to a local restaurant, you have no idea if that salad you think is healthy has 500 calories in it or 2000 (yes, there are 2000 calorie salads at restaurants). AppleBees and Ruby Tuesday's have pretty good choices if you are being health conscious. Chili's and other chain restaurants have some good choices as well. The most important thing you can do is make the decision of what you are having before you go to the restaurant, so you are making smart choices and you know how many calories you are getting.

If you are eating at a local restaurant, your best bet is to get a simple fish, chicken or beef dish, or a salad without dressing or fried items. Simple dishes without lots of cheese or sauces are often lower calorie than salads.

As for vacationing, just try to follow those same principals whenever possible, and make sure to leave time in your schedule to visit the hotel fitness center. And you're on vacation with your sweetheart. I'm sure you two can find ways to make sure you're getting enough "exercise" :P.
  • Allegra289
    Options
    Eat something before you go out to eat....drink lots and lots of water at dinner and see if you can get something small. If not just box up half of it and take it home to eat the next day. And at Universal, I really have not seen good healthy choices. You are going to be walking around ALL day and drinking lots of water, so I would suggest just eating as healthy as you see possible and worry about the extra calories when you leave the park. You'll be surprised how many calories you will burn walking around the 4 parks though.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants will make you a plain grilled chicken breast or piece of fish and some steamed veggies if you just ask. I was just recently a restaurant on Sunday and everything on the menu is pretty heavy. But I just checked it out in advance and saw that they had lots of different ways that they made their salmon, so figured they had it plain cooked/seasoned it to order per plate. So I order plain grilled salmon with a side of veggies. I got an amazing piece of perfectly cooked salmon, a perfect sized serving of fresh veggies, half a roma tomato sliced with an approx 2 tbsp portioned size of hand made salsa fresca, and everyone else at the table was jealous of how awesome my food looked in comparison to all the off the menu items they'd ordered. :)

But I can't help you about the Disneyland trip. Disneyland is the one place I go that I don't care about what I eat from the moment I wake up to the moment I can barely walk back to my hotel cuz I'm so full I can't stand anymore. lol (no, seriously, the last time I went my hubby was enjoying the fact that I was full on cheating for the first time since March that he basically just bought me food darn near every hour on the hour. I loved every overly delicious minute of it and, when averaged out, I ate the equivalent of 15.3 of my normal days of eating in those four days. And I can't wait until we go back again so I can do it again. heheh)
  • Pumpkinpie10
    Pumpkinpie10 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We went to Orlando several years ago and I used a helpful book that had healthy ideas for restaurants. That info would probably be mostly outdated by now.

Here's a link to a blog article that seems to have current healthy eating suggestions for inside DisneyWorld.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/02/04/eating-healthy-in-walt-disney-world/
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat out very frequently. As NightOwl said, the chain restaurants are usually great. It is easy to watch calories but hard to watch sodium. Both are possible.

My father is on a restricted calorie and restricted sodium diet and we went to Outback the other day. We were able to get 12 oz steaks and two sides with a complete meal of 540 calories and 330 mg Sodium. We could have gone lower in calories but decided to get the big steaks. Places like Outback have options on their website for ordering the steak/salad/veggies, etc... without the butter or the seasoning, or the dressing, or the cheese. To contrast my Dad's previously normal meal at Outback.: 1/2 Blooming Onion, 9 oz Outback Special with that Pecan salad and a loaded Sweet Potato (because sweet potatoes are healthy), one serving of bread with butter....Grand Total: 2550 calories and 4500 mg of Sodium.

I eat at Panera Bread for lunch very frequently. You can get almost any salad and get them to leave out one bad ingredient like the wonton strips or the gorgonzola cheese or the tortilla strips and get a filling meal for about 400 calories (before the apple).

MY wife and I went to Capital Grille which is a higher end chain Steak House. With beers, appetizer, sides, and a healthy steak, and berries for dessert, I was at about 1100 calories for dinner. Seems like a lot but I made the healthiest choices on the menu and got the lowest calorie beer. The menu choices are VERY deceptive and we had to go to the website to find out what was low calorie and what wasn't. For instance, a steak with a wine sauce was 1400 calories but a 9 oz Filet Mignon no sauce was about 350 calories or so.

I personally boycott restaurants that don't post their calories on the web. Houston's for instance, refused to post their calories and is actually going to court to avoid it. This used to be my all-time favorite lunch restaurant but I won't go back.

Good luck with the dinners and do your research ahead of time. Oh, and don't get too hungry before you go that you sabotage your good decisions.
  • 4Matt
    4Matt Posts: 26
    Options
    One option for a road trip is prepacking...veggies, low calorie snacks, fruit. That way when you get hungry you have something to snack on & not be tempted to stop at a fast food joint or restaurant as quickly. If it's part of your meal plan to have sandwiches & you have a cooler you could make PB & J or a meat sandwich if you'll eat it in the first few hours.
    I always make sure to carry a huge container of water so I can keep refilling my water bottle in the front seat.
    Hope this helps!
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We I go out I just drink a lot of water before my meal. I stay away from the bread. I split my meal in half and eat the rest for lunch. No dessert. That way my husband and kids can enjoy the restaurant they like sometimes.

Vacation, I am sorry I throw down. I do continue to exercise. Family, Food and Fun are not a comprise. I am not going to work about an extra 2 or 3 lbs.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Best place to eat in Magic Kingdom is that asian restaurant in Tomorrow land - Terrace Noodle Station. It was shut down when I was there last year due to renovations or something but they have stirfry, steamed vegetables and sushi, lots of low-cal food. Vegetarian burgers or chicken burgers are also available and are a good option. You put the veggies on yourself so you can take 5 lbs of tomatoes to fill you up if you really want, lol!

TGI Friday's has $12.99 complete meals BUT they come with dessert like peanut butter chocolate chip cake so that may not be the best bet. I found US restaurants never advertised alternative side dishes. Every restaurant in Canada has several listed and the healthy ones like salad is + .99 or $1.49 more but at least they give you the option. In the US you have to ask so I got steamed broccoli on the side at every restaurant I went to and it was completely normal, just not advertised. It never cost extra either which was nice.

I also went to the Hard Rock and had a chicken breast sandwhich, hold the mayo with a side of broccoli - love the stuff! You get 10% off if you are a CAA or AAA member.

O'Charlies was EXCELLENT! It's right beside Golf Galaxy and down the street from Walmart so we both got to hit some fun shopping spots (yes US Walmart is fun for me due to items not being here like Cherry Coke Zero and a bunch of other grocery items.)

Just avoid pasta's in restaurants and the deep fried treats like churos (sp?) and funnel cakes in the parks and you'll be fine.

** Feel free to log your calories, you'll burn about 1000 a day "walking slow pace 2.0" for 6+ hours in the parks.

Stay away from AYCE restaurants as well. Cici’s despite being $4.99 and the cheapest meal in the world will make you instantly fat, lol! That and the reviews say its overrun by families since families are often on a budget down there so they do what they can to keep their kids full.

Have fun!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I find I can eat healthy ANYwhere. Just use your best judgement or look for nutritional info online. Or hit the grocery stores and get some protein shakes and/or bars, fruits, veggies, etc..

That being said I don't really worry when on vacation, I'm there to enjoy so I'll usually allow myself to indulge in whatever, especially walking around theme parks, I know for me I burn a ton of calories!

Have fun!
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! At least for Disney, I looked up healthy eating there and they definitely have options! And don't worry, I'll be splurging a little bit. :)
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    My boyfriend does the same thing! Packing snacks for trips is a REALLY good idea... especially at the parks - it's hard to find good food in there. I've started carrying snacks at all times so that by the time we're done running around for the day and want to go out to eat we don't end up picking the closest place, which may not have healthy options avail. He calls them my purse almonds, lol - nuts are a good choice because they don't need to be refrigerated, don't crush, and last awhile!