Diet soda...friend or foe?

Options

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this: The Mad Hatter Theory

"Perhaps, Bonci says, our bodies are smarter than we think.
    People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."

For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
    37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
    54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
    For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

Personally, I allow myself one glass of my favorite (regular) soda...but I have noticed that I will have three times as much soda if it's diet....and that usu leads to 3 x the chips/snacks to go along w/it :(
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Enemy.
  • Natvee
    Natvee Posts: 65
    Options
    You all have some interesting info that has me thinking (especially you Hooah_mj). I do know that ultimately all sodas are bad for us. They are full of chemicals and sugar. But as they say old habits die hard, and I've been drinking soda off and on for nearly my entire life.

Thank you for your imput everyone! In just as eager to see what the scale does like some of you. I'll definitely keep you posted.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's the devil. Seriously, I used to drink it every day and the second I stopped I didn't get headaches anymore, or feel bloated, I slept better, and I dropped 5 lbs in 2 weeks without going to the gym once.

Aside from stimulating your appetite for "real" sugar which can lead to overindulging later, it is pumped full of things that can cause us harm. There's a youtube video called 'Sweet Misery". It's a documentary about the arduous time aspartame had passing FDA inspections (bribes were involved.) The day I watched the first 20 minutes was the day I quit. One woman had chronic seizures and her dr could not for the life of him pinpoint why....she cut out the aspartame and bam, seizures gone.

Try a splash of pomegranate juice with seltzer if you crave bubbles. That's what I did to start. Then I went to tea, and finally straight up water with lemon or lime.

I couldn't agree more! Aspertame is one of the worst things you could put in your body! A relative of mine was drinking large amounts of diet soda and ended up getting Leukemia. Aspertame has been linked to Leukemia :(
  • myonepack
    Options
    Try Perrier. A bit expensive but a great calorie free alternative that gives a zip of carbonation and lemon to water!
  • myonepack
    Options
    Dont expect the FDA to protect the consumers...I guess thats someone elses job!
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Ok so here is the deal...
    I enjoy drinking diet soda. It curbs my appetite and I don't feel so deprived. I also don't get crazy with it. I can take it or leave it if it really came down to it.

For the past 4 days I've been drinking about 3 cups a day. The scale hasn't moved. Granted it isn't going up, but it isn't going down either. So my question is...does it make you gain weight? Or keep you from losing it as quick as you normally would?

This has me wondering so much that I'm conducting an experiment. Like I said, I've been drinking it for the past 4-5 days, and no scale movement. For the next 4 days (starting today) I'm not going to have any. Let's see what the scale does. I'll be eating and exercising exactly the same.
    Research was done regarding the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas. In layman's terms.....

When you have the diet soda your tongue recognizes that it has had something sweet and sends a message to the brain saying "sugars on the way, tell the stomach to get ready for it" (well not those words but you get what I mean).

Your stomach does not get the sugars it was expecting, and goes "where is it", which messages the brain to say "you promised me sugar / calories, can I have some", and this encourages the seeking out / eating of calories to make up for the previous trickery.

There is a strong link to what what a tongue tastes and what your digestive system expects, and it is hard to fool it. It has a tendancy to make you crave other sugars / calories, and confuse the bodies digestive system.

Personally I do not "drink my calories", and avoid all sodas (diet or otherwise), because I figure I do not need the chemicals
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The soda itself is not affecting your weight loss. You have either reached a 'plateau', where the body rests for a few days before it starts losing again, or you are eating more sodium than usual and are retaining water (or it's that time of the month). Either way, watch your sodium intake and it should start moving again soon.

I agree with this more than the diet soda theories. I've had a few weeks of not having the scale move, and I hardly drink diet soda. The weight-loss plateau seems more plausible. If you've been doing the same thing with eating and exercise, your body naturally adjusts to that routine as its normal set of activities, and will therefore no longer burn the calories like it used to because it's expecting the food and exercise to come normally. Switch up your routine, and if your experiment of staving off diet soda is part of it, then that would be an example of change.

For optimal metabolic performance, you should change your diet and exercise routine periodically when you recognize a fluctuation increase or plateau coming.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    honestly your far better off having the occasional non-diet coke then regularly drinking the diet. either way 4 days is not nearly a long enough time for an experiment of this nature.

on another note almost all manufactured products switched to sucralose (splenda) aspartame is pretty much dead.
  • PoAer
    PoAer Posts: 17
    Options
    Ok so you probably heard this already but deit soda is a definite FOE, It's not only carbonated which make the body retain water , which would prevent you from losing weight. Also it contains aspartame, which is not easily digested by the body and stores itself in the fatty layers of the skin. Start by drinking crystal light with water making the easy transition to water, which gives you engery and makes your skin look great.
  • Cudders
    Options
    There was a recent study which looked as calorie consumption at meals when drinking diet soda versus drinking water, and those who drank the diet soda, simply ate more than those who didn't. The researchers could only hypothesize about the cause but it was said that the diet soda acted almost like a palate cleanser and made the participants feel like eating more. So based on that diet coke could halt a weight loss but only when the amount of food is not controlled and you are allowed to eat freely. I have a hard time believing that if you drink a can or two that it will stop your weight loss, given that your calorie consumption is kept at a deficit.

Sure, it's not the healthiest drink choice, drink too much and you'll get gassy, and your teeth will suffer from the acid so best to limit your intake.
  • soysos
    Options
    Ok so you probably heard this already but deit soda is a definite FOE, It's not only carbonated which make the body retain water , which would prevent you from losing weight. Also it contains aspartame, which is not easily digested by the body and stores itself in the fatty layers of the skin. Start by drinking crystal light with water making the easy transition to water, which gives you engery and makes your skin look great.

you do realize crystal light has aspartame in it right. diet coke however does not the switched to splenda almost immediately after its release.
  • PoAer
    PoAer Posts: 17
    Options

you do realize crystal light has aspartame in it right. diet coke however does not the switched to splenda almost immediately after its release.
    That I didn't thanks for the correction :). lol Welps I stick with water any way.
  • Manon87
    Options
    Def. foe! I love diet soda, and it's great when I'm craving something sweet, BUT after I decided to drop the soda, I had the worst headaches I've ever had and I had them for 2 weeks, and I mainly drank diet soda.
  • MrsDickie
    Options
    *sips a diet coke*

It's my friend! I usually half a can around 11:00am, and the other half with my lunch around 2:00pm.
    You could try carbonated flavored water, its super cheap and yummy. Sometimes I think I crave the carbonation more than anything. See if that helps!! :)
    x
  • Jamtia
    Jamtia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definately FOE! any diet/substute sugar is bad for your google all replacements and have a read. In large doses they are toxic to the body. So if toxic in large doses then toxic in small doses regardless to what the paid scientist say in there reports (all depends on who is paying the bills for the outcome), including succralose in all protien shakes aswell. The body can not break down any chemical as they are unnatural and our bodies are natural. The chemicals attach themselves to cells in our body which becomes stored fat deposits. We should remove all chemical additives from our diet and go back to natural unadulterated foods and drinks
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it and I won't.
    Here's why:

http://steve-edwards.blogspot.com/2006/04/worst-food-on-planet.html

Here are some of the highlights:
    We use the term "empty calories" for foods, like soda, that have no place in a nutritious diet. I feel this term is misleading. The calories in soda are far from empty. Most of them come from sugar. In the USA, it's nearly always high-fructose corn syrup, the cheapest, most processed sugar on the market. Other ingredients include caffeine, various phosphates and acids, and artificial colorings.

Beyond the simple sugar rush, these acids and phosphates alter your body's pH levels and inhibit absorption of other nutrients. Then there are the effects of certain artificial coloring agents. For example, yellow #5, commonly used in soft drinks, has been linked to attention deficit disorder, hives, asthma, and other allergic reactions in some children.

Then there is the nutrient trade-off to consider. A person who drinks a Big Gulp per day must go to great lengths to maintain a balanced diet. Otherwise they will almost certainly be deficient in numerous vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, and essential fatty or amino acids—none of which are found in soda. For this reason, soda is often linked to type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, dental erosion, and a higher risk of kidney stones and heart disease. And that's just a start.

Diet sodas and juicesIn an attempt to become thought of as healthier, soda companies have diversified into non-carbonated beverages and diet sodas. While these are an improvement in some ways, they are hardly a solution to the problem. Despite their no-calorie status, diet sodas have been linked to assorted illnesses. There is no good science on this yet but my own anecdotal evidence is, so far, 100% accurate.

I've yet to have a client not lose weight by kicking diet soda. Granted, all of my clients drank an excessive amount, but regardless, there is little doubt that the pH balance of diet sodas hinders the body's ability to absorb nutrients. One client, a female athlete, lost 15 pounds by making no other dietary change but eliminating diet soda. Fifteen pounds and zero calories—more weird science.

The bottom line to all this is that, for best results, your body would be happier if you cut most of the calories out of your liquids and cut out soft drinks—caloric or not—altogether.
  • becky4bears
    Options
    My name is Becky and I am a diet Pepsi-aholic ;)

I can't wait to see how this works out for you. I have a suspicion from everything that I have ever read that it isn't good for us...the sodium and the chemicals (like aspartame) especially. I completely cut it out while I was pregnant because I wasn't about to take any chances that my babies could be hurt by it. I get SO sick of plain water...and crystal lite isn't much better, it's also filled with the artificial sweeteners. I recently bought the Lipton cold brew iced tea. I think I'm going to stick to that...I'll still get my caffeine, but no chemicals!! I'll also let everyone know how it goes for me!!
  • soysos
    Options
    here is another option for ya. since it is made from whole cola nuts rather than an artificial substitute it has appetite suppression qualities similar to mint.
    http://www.tristanstephenson.com/wordpress/2008/01/19/homemade-cola-recipe/
  • angie718
    Options
    I have always been told it is harder on our bodies than regular pop (the sugar substitute). With that said, I was an avid drinker of pop...only one in particular...I'm talking 6 cans a day. I switched to diet and saw no scale movement at all...so I gave it up entirely. What I noticed is that my fluid retention and bloating is gone. My jeans fit nicer and Im not as gasy (sorry the TMI). I do miss it though...especially at 2pm at work...

I hope this helps :)