How do i tell my brain that my portion size is too big?!

Options
i listend to Paul Makennas dvd and i learnt to listen to my brain and not my belly. If im hungry i eat. when i feel satisfied, i stop. If i feel a little peckish i eat etc. My main problem was portion size. last night i came home starving because for some reason i only had a pathetic looking salad for lunch and i ended up eating so fast and so much that i didnt realise i was getting full.

10 mins later i felt so full up i couldnt move off the sofa. i cant seem to motivate myself to get up and do any workouts and i sit at my desk all day long so im not really moving at all. im wondering if its the foods im eating throughout the day that are making me feel really sluggish when i get home from work. i

Replies

• rockabyesarojane
    Options
    eat something more filling for lunch.
    but then another trick i that used initially was using a smaller plate and then i was eating HALF of the "serving size" i used to give myself and my plate still looked full. i would fix my plate. drink a glass of water and eat slowly so that your brain and stomache have time to catch up.
    you'll be amazed!
  • Pullwench
    Options
    I have issues with portions sizes as well. One thing I have done is use the smaller set of plates we have instead of the large dinner plates. This way I can still see that I have a full plate, but am eating less.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I would say, a hard part was just getting used to feeling hungry. Maybe that's not such a horrible feeling to have, and doesn't need to be instantly gratified. If it starts to get bad, I'll drink water or some tea. If that doesn't work. I have a 1/2 cup of dry fiber one cereal its 60 calories. That will usually get me though.
  • Try drinking with your meal, use a smaller plate but best of all eat very slowly. it takes a while for the message to get from your stomach to brain that it is getting fed! I find that if I eat slowly I flll up quickly. Good luck
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I personally use a smaller plate. It LOOKS like more food that way.

If you are eating low carb - that will make you tired for the first while until your body gets the carbs out of your system. Maybe carry some nuts or string cheese for a mid-a.m. or mid-afternoon snack.

It's all about HEALTHY CHOICES!

Good Luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Try moving more food to earlier in the day. I have breakfast (200-300), snack (100), lunch with fruit ( 450ish), snack (150), then dinner (400-500) and if i have left overs, a little snack(100) before bed. That usually comes out to about 1300-1500 cals a day. I prefer to change slowly, but the key to not overeating is always keeping yourself full/satified with healthy options on hand. It's comforting knowing that if I still feel a little hungry right after lunch that I have a snack to look forward to- that usually helps my brain and my stomach settle down and not feel hungry.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Firstly, drink more water. A lot of people eat when they're in fact dehydrated.

Front-load your meals, i.e. big breakfast, generous lunch, smaller dinner. I know just too many people who claim they can't eat in the morning, have a tiny sandwich for lunch and the gorge themselves with 2000+ calories after 6pm...

And lots of lean protein!!! A chicken breast is a lot more filling and will keep you satiated than a bit of salad.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Smaller plates are a great way to think you've eaten more than you have.

I personally don't sit down with anything that I haven't made sure is the right portion size.

And as for the PM system, it seems you broke a major rule. Eat when you're hungry.
    If it happens again and you can't eat for a while, have something in the fridge or fruit bowl that you can eat straight away that's good for you. An apple or some seeds. Anything just to fill you up a little before you start eating.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    When its time to eat, prepare your food (stay as close to portion size as possible) and then put everything up before you eat! That way its inconvenient to have seconds. If you're still feeling hungry, do the dishes you used to cook, have a glass of water just something to pass time (10-20 minutes). If you're still feeling hungry, have a handful of dark chocolate almonds, some fruit, yogurt, etc. If you are consistently feeling hungry and deprived you may not be eating enough fiber and or protein.