Graduate Students!! PhD student needs help!!

Options
About me: I am a married, first year Doctoral student in a psychology program, I TA (Teaching Assistantship), and am trying to loose over 100lbs by Jan. 3 2012 (My 30th birthday) My goal is 2lbs a week. I recently bought the Body Media Fit to monitor my calorie burn and sleep quality. I try to have 1000 calorie deficit a day. I tend to not exercise on campus days (3 days) since I am usually gone for 12 hours and focus exercising on non campus days (4).

So I have recently joined (last December2010) and tried to establish some kind of routine before the end of the semester but with the holidays and my birthday, getting back into the groove this semester is more difficult than I anticipated! Does anyone else find the beginning of the semester difficult? How about eating? I find that the days I am in class, I am more famished than usual and tend to go over my calories for the day. I don't know if its the brain power I'm using, but I feel hungry All Day!!! I struggle to have the 1000 calorie deficit and tend to be so pooped the following days that I am too tired to workout! Not to mention all the homework I have and oh yea I am married so kinda need to be a wife at least 1 day out of the week :-)

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories is a pretty big deficit. If you're truly very hungry, and have low energy, you may want to consider a smaller one.

That being said, the first few weeks back are always hell for me, too. I find it difficult to get into the new routine, there are always more organizational responsibilities and uncertainties to deal with. These situations due tend to trigger emotional eating for me. Just throwing that in there as a reason that you might be hungrier on class (higher stress) days. Another factor to watch (since you have a bodymedia) is your sleep patterns. Less, or lower quality sleep will make you hungrier because your body will try to compensate for the lack of sleep with food energy. (there is science to this, but I'm fuzzy on it...same reason we crave carbs in the winter).

Here are a few things I've gathered in my Masters/PhD travels:

There will be periods where getting into the routine is trickier (and sometimes, easier). What I tend to do during these adjustment times is:
    1. to make my workouts non-negotiable (and a smaller deficit will give you more energy to workout, so it might be a trade-off) Also, I move my workouts to first thing in the day.
    2.I try to make the best possible food choices, but I focus more on portion control more than the best food choices as I don't have my normal time to devote to shopping and cooking.
    3.Journaling. I don't think I could make it through without this tool. I spend a few minutes every morning and "empty my brain" by writing three pages of whatever comes to mind. It is amazing what comes out. It lowers my stress level significantly, and makes me more focused the rest of the day.
    HTH.:flowerforyou:

edited to add: make sure you schedule in some sort of date day/night activity with your husband. Grad school puts a terrific strain on everything, including your relationships. I find I have to actually put "spend time with husband" or something similar into my calendar now.
  • QueenCici
    Options
    Hi! I'm a recent law school graduate studying for the CA Bar exam. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. I can't seem to make time for exercising because I need to get my homework done (+some) and attend to my part of the household duties and by then I'm mentally drained too do anything more physically.

All I can say though is I find if I prep my meals on Sunday (or whatever day is shopping day/relaxation day) then I can plan out what I'm going to eat, get my snacks (usually yogurt, almonds, string cheese, fruit) and meals done and not have to worry about it after that. I also try to stay within my calorie range (hasn't happened this week at all!) so if I don't get a chance to exercise, then I won't feel so bad.

As far as the calorie setting goes, I had mine set at 2lbs per week and it gave me 1200 calories but I was starving by the end of the day, so I changed it to 1.5lbs per week and the extra 130 calories makes a big difference. Oh, and drink LOTS of water. I bought a jug that holds 64oz and aim to drink at least the entire thing, if not more, by bed time.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm also a PhD student, in my (hopefully) last year :) I don't know how much I can help out, because I have a very different schedule. I go to the gym when it opens around 7 am, and then come home, eat and get ready and go into the lab around 10 or 11. I have no classes, just experiments and writing, so my schedule is very flexible.

Can you walk to school? Also, even though you want to maintain 2 lb weight loss/week, maybe 1000 calorie deficit is bit too much... aim for something that doesn't leave you feeling wiped, or you won't be able to maintain it. Try to bring your lunches with you, cook healthy meals in advance for those busy days where you have no time, and try to avoid cafeteria style "coffee breaks" with cookies and what not (so easy when you're on campus sometimes!)

Good luck!!
  • mdoran86
    mdoran86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

First, Congrats on getting into a PhD program!! I am finishing up my first year in grad school for my master's degree in International Relations, myself, so I completely understand. I too am married and have a 14 month old daughter, so I understand what you are going through, minus a book or two I'm sure. :) I am working on my M.Sci. online, which brings its own new challenges to loosing weight. I find it hard to study, take care of my daughter, and exercise/eat right all at the same time.

When I was in undergrad though, I seemed to have a better weight, although I have always had a problem with that. I think that it had a lot to do with running back and forth across campus about 1/2-3/4 mile within 10 minutes with a heavy back pack in tow. Although, I don't really plan to run around my neighborhood like that, I think I am personally going to start doing 10 minute workout spurts in between reading and chores on days that I feel that I need to focus more on my studies. On lighter days, I have been working out 60-90 minutes about 3 days a week.

I'm still battling the cravings too. I am going to the grocery store today though, and I really think that I'm going to make a better effort to surround myself with good things instead of junk. I tend to want to do well, and then realize that I have only bought junk that I can't eat, but that I oh, so, love!

Think about your favorite foods and fix them... I for instance LOVE super greasy, salty chips, and I'm planning to compromise by buying only baked ones (which I still love) and using greek yogurt to make dip instead of sour cream. That way you cut out about 15+ grams of fat, and about 200+ calories too.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any tips for me too! I still have about 78 lbs to go!

-m
  • cviertha
    Options
    My work week is similar to your school week as I am a teacher and spend a lot of time at school and in meetings. I've lost 98 pounds in the last year and here is what I've found works for me.

1. Be prepared. Do your shopping on the weekend. Buy plenty of fruit (I buy apples, oranges, and bananas for the week), vegetables (carrots, celery, cucumbers, green peppers), and Tyson already grilled chicken breasts or fajita meat. I also buy Green Giant's Just For One broccoli and cheese individual portions. A little pricey, but I'm worth it at this point! I also buy reduced fat peanut butter and Pepperidge Farms Mini Bagels at 100 calories each and non fat Yoplait Yogurt. This, in addition to what you buy for your family to eat healthy at night, will help you be prepared once your week starts.

2. Prepare all your vegetables on the weekend (I usually end up doing it Sunday) by washing them, cutting them and putting them in baggies for use the entire week. Then all I have to do is grab one the night before when I'm putting my lunch bag together.

3. I reheat several of the frozen grilled chicken breasts, chop each one, and put them each in their own reheatable container. I only do this for 2-3 days at a time.

4. For breakfast each day right now I'm starting with a mini bagel with 2 T of reduced fat peanut butter. This satisfies my hunger and keeps me from becoming ravenous in the morning.

5. I always carry my lunch so In my lunch bag I have a lot: a container of the cut up chicken breast, a broccoli & cheese container, an orange, a knife, a fork, a spoon, a bag of raw veggies, a sliced apple, a banana, and a container of non fat yogurt. I also carry a cloth napkin to lay out for my "placemat."

6. For a morning snack I eat the sliced apple, a few raw vegetables, or a banana.

7. For lunch I heat the cut up chicken breast and broccoli & cheese in the microwave. I found I like to mix them together. Then I eat an orange and maybe some of that bag of raw veggies.

8. Later in the afternoon, usually between 3:00-4:00 I have the yogurt and whatever fruit is left in my bag.

9. For dinner, if I'm not home I'll eat a Lean Cuisine, or a package of chunk white tuna with whole wheat reduced fat Triscuits or Wheat Thins. If I'm at home we have either a vegetable with chicken, tilapia, or extra lean ground beef.

10. The first few days are the hardest, then you get used to the more frequent small meals. I try to stay right around 1,200 calories if I cannot exercise. If I can exercise then I'll eat maybe 1, 400-1,500 calories depending on how hard I exercised.

I'd be willing to be your friend on MFP if you'd like. A gal named Mollie from Chicago befriended me on MFP and has given me a lot of positive feedback. You can do this, you just need to be prepared by planning ahead on your weekends.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I just finished up my MA in December, and managed to lose 56 lbs. over the course of the last year. I'm married, took 2 courses per semester, worked 25 hours a week, and in the fall, actually taught my own class as well. And while it might be hard, it IS doable.

This past fall, when I was teaching, was by far the hardest, because I was doing so much. I was teaching, grading, preparing, working my regular job, going to my classes, writing papers, and preparing to defend my thesis. I literally didn't have any time to exercise- and I didn't. I had so much to stress about, I couldn't even think about the fact that I wasn't getting to the gym. I had gotten into a pretty good routine in the spring/summer but it totally got blown away the first week of the semester. And you know what? I still lost weight. I made sure that I was still eating right and didn't go over on my calories very often, and even though I wasn't exercising, I still managed to lose 20 lbs. over the course of the semester. Since I wasn't exercising, I would force myself to take the stairs at work (I worked on the fourth floor), and park further away so I had to walk a little bit extra to get to class. When I had a few hours off and needed to run to do errands I'd walk there instead of driving. It wasn't a lot, but the little things can help out too.

Best of luck to you- you can do it! :flowerforyou: