How is this possible

Options
I have been working out for that last two weeks. After my first week I weighed in and lost 1 pound. The second week I changed my workout routine from Jillian Michaels 30 day shred to Chalean Extreme which concentrates more on weights and low cardio. I weighed myself today after eating breakfast and working out ( usually I weigh first thing in the morning) so I know I changed my weigh in a little, but the scale said I gained six pounds. How is that possible? I was thinking It would at least stay the same. I always seems to gain weight when I start working out this is not the first time. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Replies

• nmccabe33
    Options
    Could it be that you've gained muscle? Do your clothes fit better? Sometimes the number on the scale doesn't mean much.
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    Water and a full digestive system! You should ALWAYS weigh yourself first thing in the morning after going to the loo as this will give you near enough the most accurate number.

You won't gain muscle anywhere near that quickly so its definitely not that. Next week weigh yourself before training/eating/doing anything else and you should find the number is much lower again.

Also - make sure you're actually eating enough to support the exercise, your weight won't change if you're under eating!
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    when you change routines and are using different muscle groups often a gain comes first from fluid retention due to the damaged muscle (normal response and is what builds new muscle). The swelling that comes normally can make weight go up for a week or so until the body corrects. Don't get too excited just keep on keeping on.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't expect to see too much in just two weeks. For at least the first month, just focus on getting the routine on and feeling better!

Took me 3 months to lose my first 10 lbs. Nothing in the first month. Then lost another 40 lbs in the next few months ... takes consistancy and time ... keep at it!
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I remember watching Jillian Michaels on a show--can't remember which one (not the Biggest Loser) anyway....................she said that it takes working out to the extreme that they workout on the show AND a period of 6 months or greater to gain any sort of muscle weight. I found that to be interesting!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1- if you weighed after breakfast that can have a BIG impact on your weigh in- be consistent.

2- When you push your body really hard, your muscles retain water to repair themselves.

This is absolutely possible. Keep with it.
  • mindspinmegs311
    mindspinmegs311 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What did you eat for breakfast? Do you normally weigh yourself after eating?

The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning, right after your morning bathroom routine. That's when you will be your "driest" most "true" weight. It's important to weight yourself at about the same time every time you weigh yourself. Food, liquids... they all weigh something. So that could have attributed to your "weight gain".

I would not get discouraged! I would bet that it was the food that you ate that added the extra pounds, try again tomorrow morning!
  • sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I think that I have heard that when you start a new lifting schedule your muscles will hold on to water for a couple of weeks causing a TEMPORARY weight. Hang in there do not let this throw you off! I usually gain some weight when starting a new schedule then after a couple of weeks it falls back off. Don't give up!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't expect to see too much in just two weeks. For at least the first month, just focus on getting the routine on and feeling better!

Took me 3 months to lose my first 10 lbs. Nothing in the first month. Then lost another 40 lbs in the next few months ... takes consistancy and time ... keep at it!

SERIOUSLY??? I AM SO TRYING THIS....THE SHIN SPLINT THING
  • vikeschick42
    Options
    Be sure to weigh in with an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Also, it is very normal for Week 2 to see a slight gain or a halt as your body is adjusting and wondering what the heck you are doing to it. But be sure you are eating enough or you will actually gain weight as your body will hang on to every single calorie. There is a thread on here, search for it. The title is something like "700 calories a day and still obese". It's very informational and explains how someone can GAIN weight even though they are hardly eating anything.
    Good luck!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Scales... they are evil.
    It is common for your weight to fluctuate throughout the day. Weight gained through eating, hydration, added to what foods are in your digestive system. Weight loss through dehydration, umm... going number two (I can't think of a pleasant way to say that) and calories burnt.

For example; I have dropped as much as 12 pounds in one day and gained as much as 7, endurance racing.
    The best way, in my opinion, is to average several daily weigh in, but that still wouldn't be entirely accurate.
    I think a better barometer would be: how do you feel? Do your clothes fit any different? What about those pants that were too small, do they fit yet?

Don't be discouraged.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    1- if you weighed after breakfast that can have a BIG impact on your weigh in- be consistent.

2- When you push your body really hard, your muscles retain water to repair themselves.

This is absolutely possible. Keep with it.

I concur.

That's my fancy word for the day! Tomorrow I'll be using 'diabolical' stay tuned!
  • shaelove
    shaelove Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone