Diet soda...friend or foe?

Options

Replies

• Natvee
    Natvee Posts: 65
    Options
    Ok, so here I am one day since I've had soda. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down .2 lbs. This is not enough to convince me of anything. Someone pointed out that 4 days are not nearly enough time for an experiment. Call it a mini-experiment. I'll probably give soda up entirely after all of these informative posts anyway.

I'll be posting my weight on here everyday for the next 4 days for you curious folks. Is it easier just coming back to this topic or should I post a day 1, day 2...etc.?
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I quit my diet coke habit last summer, my longstanding migraines and asthma went away.
    I fell off the wagon in the fall ... a migraine and an asthma attack later that week.
    Quit diet coke again ... back to no migraines, no asthma.
    Christmas week ... back to my soda habit (I'm a slow learner) ... four-day migraine and 2 bad asthma incidents.

At least for me, soda is NOT a friend.
  • Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was able to replace my diet soda with Vitamin Water Zero, which doesn't contain aspartame or sucralose. I have a hard time drinking plain water all the time, but I knew I had to kick the artificial sweetner habit. I still put a Splenda or two in my tea - I hated the taste of Truvia. Here's hoping something else will come along ...
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The acid in any soda is also really bad for your teeth!

I have the same problem, I drink it so often and I get bloated. I'm trying to stop though because I heard that it causes bloating, brittle bones, prevents losing weight to some degree and just isn't good overall. I'm trying to drink more water instead. Good luck!
  • mindspinmegs311
    mindspinmegs311 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From a future dietitian (I am a dietetic intern on my way to becoming registered with a degree in dietetics)... if you can stay away from diet soda, it is better. Drinking anything will help curb your appetite because it helps to make you feel more full. The best thing to drink is obviously water, we need water to survive! Some people claim to feel more full with diet soda or sodas in general because of the carbonation, which is true, but water will make you feel full too and help curb your appetite.

What someone else said about sodas (even diet) dehydrating you is also true - all soda contains sodium which dehydrates you and excess sodium makes your body retain water, which is why many people feel bloated when they drink a lot of soda (not to mention all of that carbonation!)

Your best bet for fluids is good ole H2O. :)
  • Natvee
    Options
    When I quit my diet coke habit last summer, my longstanding migraines and asthma went away.
    I fell off the wagon in the fall ... a migraine and an asthma attack later that week.
    Christmas week ... back to my soda habit (I'm a slow learner) ... four-day migraine and 2 bad asthma incidents.

I'm curious...Did you quit caffeine entirely or just soda? The reason I ask is because I've had migraines for most of my life (I have one now). I've quit soda, tea, coffee, and even chocolate for about 2 weeks and I still got migraines. I figured I wouldn't keep myself from the things I like entirely if I still got them anyway. Just wondering...
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    FOE FOR SURE!!!!!!! I would rather stick a pin in my eye than drink any diet anything! IT WILL CAUSE YOU TO BECOME FAT...go to Dr.Mercola's website to learn more....danger danger....it is about the worst thing you can drink after DRANO ...seriously...read up on it to save your diet and your health.
  • marianmaj
    Options
    FOE FOR SURE!!!!!!! I would rather stick a pin in my eye than drink any diet anything! IT WILL CAUSE YOU TO BECOME FAT...go to Dr.Mercola's website to learn more....danger danger....it is about the worst thing you can drink after DRANO ...seriously...read up on it to save your diet and your health.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Foe

Top 10 Reasons to Give Up Soda
    By Steve Edwards

10. Soda may cause cancer. According to a report in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, consuming two or more soft drinks per week increased the risk of developing pancreatic cancer by nearly twofold compared to individuals who did not consume soft drinks. As reported, the study "followed 60,524 men and women in the Singapore Chinese Health Study for 14 years. During that time, there were 140 pancreatic cancer cases. Those who consumed two or more soft drinks per week (averaging five per week) had an 87 percent increased risk compared with individuals who did not."
    Then why, you're probably asking yourself, is this number ten on our list and why is soda even still on the shelf? Not that I'd challenge the ability of such large corporate power to hide such a thing but, in this case, the study slit its own throat. As one of the researchers noted, "soft drink consumption in Singapore was associated with several other adverse health behaviors such as smoking and red meat intake, which we can't accurately control for," meaning that we have no way of knowing, for sure, if soda was the culprit. Still, it doesn't hurt to know that when you drink soda it lumps you into a fairly unhealthy user group.1

9.It's not just about calories. Calories grab headlines, but recent science is showing that diet soda users are still in the crosshairs. A 2005 study by the University of Texas Health Science Center showed that there's a 41 percent increased risk of being obese—and a 65 percent increased risk of becoming overweight during the next 7 or 8 years—for every can of diet soda a person consumes in a day. Admittedly, this one should be higher on the list, but I wanted to make sure the article-skimming crowd knew the score up front: that diet sodas are very much a part of the problem.

8. It's the water . . . and a lot more. Okay, so that was a beer slogan, but soda is also made up mainly of water, and when you're slinging as much of it as they are, and you need to sling it cheap, sometimes you can't help but run into problems with your supply chain. In India, Coca-Cola® has found itself in hot water, and not the kind they thought they were purchasing rights to. Two of their factories have been closed, but one continues to run amok. According to a report in The Ecologist, "They accuse the company of over-extracting groundwater, lowering the water tables and leaving farmers and the local community unable to dig deep enough to get to vital water supplies."
    "Since the bottling plant was opened in 2000, water levels in the area have dropped six metres, and when a severe drought hit the region earlier this year the crops failed and livelihoods were destroyed."2

7. BPA: not just for water bottles anymore. Nalgene® and other water bottle companies took the heat when the dangers of bisphenol A (BPA) were made public a couple years back. While these companies went to great lengths to save their businesses, the soda companies somehow flew under the radar and continue to use it in their products. A recent Canadian study has found that BPA exists "in the vast majority" of the soft drinks tested. Most of these were under the national limits set for toxicity, but some were not. And remember how much soda the average person consumes, meaning odds are most soda consumers are at some risk.
    "Out of 72 drinks tested, 69 were found to contain BPA at levels below what Health Canada says is the safe upper limit. However, studies in peer-reviewed science journals have indicated that even at very low doses, BPA can increase breast and ovarian cancer cell growth and the growth of some prostate cancer cells in animals."3

6. Can convenience. As in the 1950s colloquial: can it. Speaking of the 1950s, those were the happy days when most of our soda was consumed at soda fountains, obesity was a term hardly anyone had heard of, and the most feared epidemic was one of atomically mutated insects taking over the world. Now instead of hoofing it down to the corner confectionery for one soda, we fill out trucks with pallets of shrink-wrapped cans or bottles and quaff the stuff by the six-pack. Not to mention how out of balance this ensures our diets will become, it wreaks havoc on the world around us. The bottled-water industry (which is mostly owned by the soda industry) famously uses 17 million barrels of oil a year, and the aluminum industry uses as much electricity as the entire continent of Africa. Not only that, aluminum mining accounts for a ton of toxic chemicals that is left behind for every ton of the metal produced.4

5. The Frankenfood factor. Whether you consume diet or regular soda, you're getting all of the genetically modified food you need and more, via high fructose corn syrup or aspartame. Both of these are under plenty of scientific as well as anecdotal scrutiny. Findings aren't pretty but, so far, this multibillion-dollar industry has kept these sweeteners on the shelves while alternative sweeteners meeting cost requirements are explored. Since it's almost impossible to read health headlines without finding one of these ingredients in some type of controversy, I'll just use one example:
    "The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nutrition and food safety advocacy group, called on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to review the claims, which stem from research conducted by the European Ramazzini Foundation in Italy.
    The foundation reported that rats who consumed aspartame in exceedingly large quantities were more likely to develop cancer. CSPI executive director Michael Jacobson considers this an important finding that should not be overlooked."
    I know, there I go again with the cancer. But some people need to be shocked in order to take action. For me, seeing the Diet Coke® and Mentos® experiment was all I needed to swear off the stuff.

4. Foreign news cares how much soda we sell in our schools. How bad is your country's problem when the whole world is watching its daily actions? "Nearly one in three children and teenagers in the U.S. are overweight or obese and health experts say sugary drinks are part of the problem." Yep, bad. The world is well aware of the problems soda is causing and is looking to us to lead. And we certainly are trying. Are you with the program?
    "Under the voluntary guidelines, in place since 2006, full-calorie soft drinks were removed from school canteens and vending machines. Lighter drinks, including low-fat milk, diet sodas, juices, flavoured waters and teas were promoted in their place."

And, while great and all, it appears that no one got the memo about diet sodas.

3. Diet? Um, that's just like your opinion, man. When it comes to soda, treat the word "diet" as a slogan. A study at Boston University's School of Medicine linked diet soda with increased risk factors for heart disease and diabetes. To be more specific, the study "found adults who drink one or more sodas a day had about a 50 percent higher risk of metabolic syndrome," which is a cluster of risk factors such as excessive fat around the waist, low levels of "good" cholesterol, high blood pressure, and other symptoms that lead to heart disease and/or diabetes. And, for those of you only concerned about how you look in the mirror, "Those who drank one or more soft drinks a day had a 31 percent greater risk of becoming obese."

2. Soda outkills terrorists. A study out of the University of California, San Francisco, shows that soda has killed at least 6,000 Americans in the last decade.
    From ABC News: "The new analysis, presented Friday at the American Heart Association's 50th Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention, offers a picture of just how horrifying the damage done by excess consumption of sugary drinks can be.
    Using a computer model and data from the Framingham Heart Study, the Nurses Health Study and the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, researchers estimated that the escalating consumption between 1990 and 2000 of soda and sugar-sweetened beverages, which they abbreviated as 'SSBs,' led to 75,000 new cases of diabetes and 14,000 new cases of coronary heart disease.
    What's more, the burden of the diseases translated into a $300 million to $550 million increase in health care costs between 2000 and 2010."7

1. It's the "real thing" . . . not exactly. Should having the number one caloric source in the world come from something that's entirely manmade be a metaphor for a dying world? It doesn't have to be this way. After all, there's nothing in soda that we need. In fact, there's nothing in soda that even comes from the earth except caffeine, and that's optional. It's a mixture of altered water (injected with carbon dioxide gas), artificial flavors (yes, "natural flavor" is artificial), artificial color, and phosphoric acid, along with its sole caloric source that is a by-product of genetically modified corn production and offers virtually no nutritional value. It's about as real as The Thing.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/newsletters/nl_402.do
  • marianmaj
    Options
    Did you know that carbonated drinks destroy your calcium? (AS DOES COFFEE) never take calcium supplements with either
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i used to live on diet coke, then a personal trainer at my gym told me if i cut it out i'd lose pounds instantly - i did and i did! plus aspartamine really is quite nasty :s
    I quit caffeinated coffee at the same time and am now much more awake in the mornings and clear headed - something i never thought i would be without caffeine! i havent drunk it since last october now and dont even like the idea of it any more thinking of all the chemicals in it - its hard when you first stop drinking it though!
  • marianmaj
    Options
    yes i like Pellegrino with a splash of organic unsweetened cranberry juice..NATURAL carbonation will not hurt you.
  • jocember
    jocember Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You know, I have a huge problem with soda. I'm a lot better than I used to be - growing up I probably drank 5-6 cans or more a day. Always diet, yes, but that's not really any better than regular when you consider the effect aspartame has.

I've read through all of the posts here, and have made a decision: I'm cutting it out completely. I think it's good that you do, too. Someone above suggested seltzer water with a spritz of cranberry juice to start, which sounds very nice. If you have trouble drinking water (something I really had to work on and still have issues with), try adding a hint of lemon or lime and make sure it's VERY cold.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Soda is the enemy, I mean, all soft drink companies might as well take the motto "it is futile to resist".

Soda has tons of phosphorous that prevents your bones absorption of calcium. You're an adult and full grown so who cares? Well bone density declines after the age of 20 or so..you have to keep on ingesting good amounts of calcium to shore up your bones or hello osteoporosis.

It's horrible for your teeth enamel.

It can cause you to feel hungrier..isn't that worthy, in of itself of Darth Vader evul status?

It's also dehydrating.
  • radicalreader
    Options
    I still drink coffee. A LOT of black coffee. I love, love, love me some coffee and I refuse to give up the only vice I have left.
    Caffeine doesn't seem to be one of my migraine triggers.

My big triggers seem to be soda and lack of sleep.
  • radicalreader
    Options

I'm curious...Did you quit caffeine entirely or just soda? The reason I ask is because I've had migraines for most of my life (I have one now). I've quit soda, tea, coffee, and even chocolate for about 2 weeks and I still got migraines. I figured I wouldn't keep myself from the things I like entirely if I still got them anyway. Just wondering...

Oops. Didn't quote when I replied before.
    I keep my migraines in check by
    1. preventing hormonal fluctuations (prescription loestrin)
    2. making sure that I get enough sleep
    3. quitting soda
    4. monthly acupuncture (not as scary as it sounds)
    5. (very rarely) prescription relpax at the first signs

It could be a coincidence, but in the last 10 months, I have had only three migraines ... two I believe triggered by going back to soda and one I know was triggered by a family emergency that left me with only 2 hours sleep.
    Before I took the four steps above, I had multi-day migraines on a weekly basis.

Good luck. Migraines are the PITS!
  • Natvee
    Options

Oops. Didn't quote when I replied before.
    I keep my migraines in check by
    1. preventing hormonal fluctuations (prescription loestrin)
    2. making sure that I get enough sleep
    3. quitting soda
    4. monthly acupuncture (not as scary as it sounds)
    5. (very rarely) prescription relpax at the first signs

It could be a coincidence, but in the last 10 months, I have had only three migraines ... two I believe triggered by going back to soda and one I know was triggered by a family emergency that left me with only 2 hours sleep.
    Before I took the four steps above, I had multi-day migraines on a weekly basis.

Good luck. Migraines are the PITS!

I'm seriously thinking that sleep deprivation and hormones might have something to do with it. My husband snores and wakes me up at least 5-10 times a night (no joke). A doctor already said I'm low on estrogen. I also stress way too much. I'm eagerly seeking out a way to make them ease up. I get them 2-3 times a week. It's just one more reason I am trying to eat right, drop weight, and exercise. I'm hoping it helps with my migraines, and so far it seems to be helping a little.
  • lisa451999
    Options
    Whether you lose weight or not, you are out to be healthy. When it comes down to it, diet soda is very unhealthy for your body. Eat clean and stick to drinking water, tea, and coffee (black). You will be amazed how great you will feel and look! Good luck!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    cokes don't have to be bad for you, after all most of them started out as health tonics. in order to have health benefits they need to be made from the original ingredients in small batches. for the big manufacturers this would make them very expensive to produce, but for the home cook homemade cokes are cheeper than store bought. in an earlier post I added a link to a cola recipe that is very similar to what coke originally was (minus the miracle drug of the day of corse) I can also give recipes for gingerale and rootbeer. it doesn't have to stop there either, a good black tea with a little lemon makes a very refreshing beverage, or just use citrus lemon lime, always a crowd pleaser.

they're all made basically the same way. you start by making a simple syrup, adding whatever flavoring you want, but make it strong. the carbonation is the hard part there are basically three ways to do it: the easiest is to dilute the syrup in cold sparkling water, and enjoy. another option dilute the syrup in water in a 2 liter plastic bottle and add a little yeast, put on the cap and let it sit at room temperature for a day or so, until the carbonation is how you like it then put it in the fridge. you should know the bottle will explode if left at room temperature. the third option is to use a corny keg and bottled co2.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    cokes don't have to be bad for you, after all most of them started out as health tonics.
    Yeah, that's the problem - there were a LOT of 'health tonics' that were anything but. Even the original recipe for Coke used coca (which cocaine is made from). No matter how you slice it, a soft drink is comprised of sugar, flavorings, and some method of carbonation, which (based on your recipes) contains either sodium carbonate or sodium phosphate. Whatever minimal benefits you might get from the flavoring ingredients are severely undercut by the unhealthiness of the rest of the ingredients.

If the OP want a 'health tonic', get a juicer. Veggie and fruit juices, even mixed with other ingredients to make smoothies or such, are healthier than soft drinks - whether bought or home-made. ;)