Water requirements

Options
I know it says you're supposed to have 8 cups of water, but is that literally 8 CUPS or 8 GLASSES? Or is it the same thing? lol

Replies

• rwalden628
    Options
    I know it says you're supposed to have 8 cups of water, but is that literally 8 CUPS or 8 GLASSES? Or is it the same thing? lol
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Eight cups (8oz).

And remember, that's just a general guideline. You may need more, you may need less.
  • melissa73
    Options
    I figure it as 8 oz. so I drink one 16 oz bottle of water that is 2 cups<servings>. I hope I'm right. But that is what I figure.... If I am wrong let me know?:bigsmile: But then I drink about 64 + oz a day... No soda pop for me.:noway:
    Melissa
  • pecksun8
    Options
    Also if you are eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegtables, then you are also getting water that way. So if you feel full after fresh fruit or veggies, you don't have to down more water. Trust you body and if it feels full from water....
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My understanding is eight 8ounce size cups. I personally drink two 1.5 liter bottles a day. I think that comes out to about 12 servings.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I figure it as 8 oz. so I drink one 16 oz bottle of water that is 2 cups<servings>. I hope I'm right. But that is what I figure.... If I am wrong let me know?:bigsmile: But then I drink about 48 oz a day... No soda pop for me.:noway:
    Melissa

I have two or three servings of my 32oz water bottle a day....but I have my vodka-diet tonic/rumsilver-diet soda in the evening. ANd my coffee(s) in the morning. so.....I need a lot of water. :laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

I got curious. . .so here's an article with everything you wanted to know (and then some) about water needs.

:flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I even count my big grog of iced coffee in my water requirement, and put the tablespoon of cream in the snack column.
  • Fab140
    Options
    I even count my big grog of iced coffee in my water requirement, and put the tablespoon of cream in the snack column.

But isn't coffee considered a "dehydrator" there fore the opposite of water? Also, 8oz of coffee has 5 calories...
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    They had a neat report on the morning show yesterday. According to a research study, they showed that people who drank their 8 8-oz. glasses of water a day burned an average of 200 more calories then those who didn't. That's motivation enough for me!!!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    From 3 months of lifestyle change under my belt, I can totally attest to the fact that during the weeks that I get at LEAST 64oz of water a day I lose more weight and feel overall MUCH better than during weeks that I don't. I actually have 1 glass in my house that is exactly 16oz when filled to within an inch of the top and everyone knows to leave that one alone now since I keep track that way. As soon as my glass is empty I fill it up again and leave it on the counter. I usually end up having a good 6 or 7 of those in a day so I'm getting LOTS of water. I also work out hard so I need the hydration. I feel bad for people who really dislike water.
  • Marla64
    Options

But isn't coffee considered a "dehydrator" there fore the opposite of water? Also, 8oz of coffee has 5 calories...

ACKKKK-- 5 calories???? Fooey-- I used to be SOOOO faithful back in my Weight Watchers days, years back, but can't seem to remember to drink as much as I should. I probably average 4 daily, (plus the coffee). But, looks like I need to head to the refrigerator and fill 'er up.
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    They had a neat report on the morning show yesterday. According to a research study, they showed that people who drank their 8 8-oz. glasses of water a day burned an average of 200 more calories then those who didn't. That's motivation enough for me!!!

The key to that was it had to be ice water though. Your body works harder to warm the water up to body temperature.
  • Fab140
    Options

ACKKKK-- 5 calories???? Fooey-- I used to be SOOOO faithful back in my Weight Watchers days, years back, but can't seem to remember to drink as much as I should. I probably average 4 daily, (plus the coffee). But, looks like I need to head to the refrigerator and fill 'er up.

hehehe.....yea....I'm pretty bad about it unless I have my water bottle. I went to Smith's (Kroger's everywhere else, it seems!!) and got one of the bright neon orange ones with a big enough neck to fit ice cubes in but still fits in my cup holder in my car :wink: then I don't have any excuses!!

Basically tea and coffee and juice, though made with water, are still diuretics (?) so they're the opposite of water. I read that for every 8oz of coffee you drink, you need to drink 16oz of water to replinish.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Well, here's the funky thing, though-- historically, when I stop coffee, or slow it down, my body bloats and blood pressure goes up. Guess I'm not drinking enough water to combat it-- sighhh.

Okay, well, I just filled 'er up again, going through my second grog of ice water-- that will be 32 ounces so far today, and I'll no doubt have another 32 after I "Shred" tonight-- pant pant pant.:bigsmile:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Intersting topic, I usually consume a LOT of water, and Ezzie doesn't feel the need to. Whenever we go somewhere, I always have my bottle with me! And I also track how much I drink when I workout as well. I usually go thru 5-6 8oz at the club, plus another maybe 2 liters as well.
  • Fab140
    Options
    Well, here's the funky thing, though-- historically, when I stop coffee, or slow it down, my body bloats and blood pressure goes up. Guess I'm not drinking enough water to combat it-- sighhh.

Okay, well, I just filled 'er up again, going through my second grog of ice water-- that will be 32 ounces so far today, and I'll no doubt have another 32 after I "Shred" tonight-- pant pant pant.:bigsmile:

Yea, I was "giving up" coffee this weekend.....goodness!! I was lucky to be upright. And *TMI ALERT* I was so "stopped up"!

You don't have to stop coffee, just counteract the "drying" effects. :flowerforyou:

Quitting coffee.....lol....no way!!!:noway: