lentil recipes you would share?

Options
luckymommy
luckymommy Posts: 11 Member
How do you like to make lentils? I have only made them once, and just realised i have 2 bags of them in the pantry! I needs some good recipes please!

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    No advice, I'm afraid, but I've been wondering that too.
  • Cmariposa215
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but my Wellness Instructor told me to subsitute lentils for my ground beef when I make tacos. When I looked at her funny, she said I should at least try half lentils and half beef, supposedly with the taco seasoning I shouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm hoping to try this soon!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted this, looks good and super easy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/166626-amaaaazing-lentil-soup
  • lucyh6773
    lucyh6773 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lentil Dhal is pretty easy to make...
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use lentils to "fill out" beef all the time. Start by boiling them until soft. Brown your hamburger, adding chopped onions, and chopped canned mushrooms. I toss a 5oz can of mushroom pieces in my mini food chopper, liquid and all, and whirl until chunky. Add your lentils and seasoning.

I use a half pound of ground beef and perhaps one cup of cooked lentils. I use this mix in burritos, cassaroles, etc. The kids don't even notice.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    There have been a few threads on lentils. If you do a forum search you'll find lots of recipes. :)
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I sent this to Andrew (Fat Chopper) a while back. Old family recipe feel free it's awesome.

At any rate...tomorrow I'm going to made my mom's Lentil Soup. If you want the best Lentil soup ever do this:

1. Rinse and separate a bag of lentils the night before. make sure there is no sticks or pebbles in the pot. Leave them soaking in fresh lightly salted water overnight.
    2. Slow cook the lentils in the morning cover the lentils plus 5cm of water in the pan above the lentils. When they come to a very slow boil put the heat down as low as it goes.
    3. Add a cup of chopped Kale and a single Bay leaf
    cook slowly for about an hour. If you have a crock pot they can be transferred in when the water begins to thicken from the bean starch (you may have to add a little water as it goes to prevent sticking.) about 20cc at a time you don't want too much) the broth should thicken but you don't want it pasty.
    4. with about 15 minutes left in the hour cook-down add either a half cup chopped Basil (fresh) or a tea spoon of dried but not till the cooking is nearing finish or it'll takeover the flavor in the pot
    5. Set a separate pot of water boiling for pasta use Ditalini (small 1/4 inch (1cm) long tubes) or Acini de pepe (small bead macaroni. Both can be found if whole wheat here) cook pasta for 7 minutes it should not be cooked all the way through because you want the starch from the pasta to finish the thickening of the lentils.
    6. In a separate skillet dice 4 tomatoes, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks and about 30 black olives also diced bring to a sizzle, add 1/4 cup of water and a 1/4 cup of raw sugar. continue heating and allow to thicken until almost dry it'll require constant stirring to allow it to caramelize the sugar without burning.
    7. After the pasta has cooked 7 minutes drain but don't rinse and add to lentils. Stir in evenly (i do a 2:1 ratio lentil:pasta). 8. When everything is done, place a cup of the lentil soup in a bowl, lay two TBSP of the tomato mixture on top, with a sprig or two of fresh parsley. Top with a bit of grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese.
    9. make your final plans because you're headed to heaven,
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Basic Spanish Lentil soup:

16 oz. dry lentils
    1-2 leeks
    2 onions
    6 garlc cloves
    2-3 carrots
    sea salt
    2 T olive oil
    6-8 cups water (depends on desired consistancy for soup)

Seperate and sift through lentils and rinse w/ cold water. Add lentils to stock pot. Then add onions (cut in 1/2), leeks (clean well and keep whole), whole garlic and carrots (cut in smaller pieces) and remaining ingredients and cook for 40 minutes. Remove garlic, leeks and onions and blend until smooth. Return to soup and cook another 10-15 minutes.

*Options to add flavor: roasted red pepper or cooked sausage (or chorizo) depending on desired calorie level.
    *Freezes very well.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted this, looks good and super easy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/166626-amaaaazing-lentil-soup

Thanks that was me, I was just going to share too.... It was so yummy and Im having another bowl for lunch :bigsmile:

http://momvsfood.blogspot.com/2011/02/lentil-soup.html
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    i love, love, love the half beef mixture and half lentils mixture. i might just go and buy them this weekend when i go shopping and try it out...has it worked iwth anythign else other than tacos? like, i dont know, meatloaf or hamburgers or shepards pie, things like that?
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I use lentils to "fill out" beef all the time. Start by boiling them until soft. Brown your hamburger, adding chopped onions, and chopped canned mushrooms. I toss a 5oz can of mushroom pieces in my mini food chopper, liquid and all, and whirl until chunky. Add your lentils and seasoning.

I use a half pound of ground beef and perhaps one cup of cooked lentils. I use this mix in burritos, cassaroles, etc. The kids don't even notice.

That is awesome!!!!

I have heard of making "meatloaf" but meatless with lentils and oats!