i'm a half marathon virgin....have some questions

Options
In 18 days...Feb 20th, I'm running my first half marathon in Austin. Other than the obvious with beans, gum (yes I HAVE to run with gum!, and whatever else I plan on consuming during the run, is there anything else that is non-edible that I need to have with me on the run. As of right now the weather here is in the teens (verrrrry low for central Texas) but by the weekend we are supposed to be back up to the 60's, so I won't know how the weather is going to be for a few more days. But I guess I'm kinda curious if I should take an extra pair of socks or anything? What about some anti-chaffing stuff? or do they usually have that along the course? thanks in advance!

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    The only thing I brought with me was a thing of GU, even though they had it on the course. There will be plenty of fluids. Not sure about anything for the chafing though. You just might want to prepare for that prior to the race.

Something interesting you'll see is that a lot of people shed clothes on the course. They start in layers, then start taking things off as they warm up, just leaving them in the streets.

In NY, there's actually a charity that picks everything up and donates it to the homeless.
  • Eliannasmom
    Eliannasmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    get some body glide it prevents chaffing my husband is a pretty serious marathon runner and he uses that stuff all the time.. I am guessing by beans you mean the energy ones? Also there are left and right socks I believe that both Nike and Addidas make them a little spendy for socks in my opinion but for some reason they make a difference... I use them when I train. Have a fantastic first half marathon!!!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The only thing out for a 1/2 is normally water and gatorade. Everything else you need is up to you. I dont use wax for anti chaffing and I dont use gels or blocks. But alot of people do! I love my SpyBelt. You can attach your number and it has a small pocket to put some gels in or attatch to the belt. I love arm warmers.I also will buy a long sleeve pants and shirt at either GoodWill or somewhere like that to toss and not worry about. Besides the obvious of making sure your Ipod is charged and you have the right clothes you will be fine. Good luck!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Food- That is up to what you feel you need to be fueled. I carb the night before with pasta and don't do any eating during the race. At the water stops I always grab a glass and alternate between water and gatorade.

NO EXTRAS SOCKS! At least I don't recommend them, because it tends to cut off circulation which is uncomfortable. Your feet will warm right up and you will be just fine. I ran a 10k in 7 degree weather in January and I only wore 1 pair, which was just fine. For your clothing wear breathable stuff (no cotten). I always wear a running tank top and then throw a running jacket over it, which I always take off after the first 3 miles.

Chaffing- you can use anti chaffing sticks such as bodyglide. I chaff underneath my arms and I should probably get something for that, but I just deal with the pain the next day. Some courses will have vaseline, but that depends on who is hosting if they will have that.

The best advice I received and that i give is--- LIVE IN THE MOMENT! It goes by so fast. Enjoy everything smile and cheer your fellow runners on and ALWAYS thank the volunteers at the water stations and everywhere you see them, because without them the race wouldn't be possible.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    also if you are anything like me I don't like my hands being cold so i wear mittens depending on the weather.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Actually a cheaper alternative to body glide is the cheapy like old spice gelly mens deodorant. This may sound redundant but SUNBLOCK one that can handle sweat. Thats all you need is to be sore and burnt
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    The only thing I brought with me was a thing of GU, even though they had it on the course. There will be plenty of fluids. Not sure about anything for the chafing though. You just might want to prepare for that prior to the race.

Something interesting you'll see is that a lot of people shed clothes on the course. They start in layers, then start taking things off as they warm up, just leaving them in the streets.

In NY, there's actually a charity that picks everything up and donates it to the homeless.
    Oh, and good luck and have fun!
  • nattyj11
    Options
    I highly recommend body glide. And a dry t-shirt for after the race. Good luck!
  • DeAsh
    DeAsh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm also signed up for a half-marathon the same day (my second). If it's really cold, an earband helps. My essential items are ipod and chapstick. I'm also planning to have a pack of Gu with me this time, because one of the stations ran out last year. I don't like to carry a lot of stuff on a run.
  • ruddyrunner
    Options
    I haven't done a half yet, perhaps this fall. I'm currently preparing for a 10K, so I'm not an expert. But I do read a lot about running and one piece of advice I'll pass along is: don't do anything new on race day. Wear the same clothes you've been training in and are comfortable in. Eat the same foods and drink the same liquids before and during. It seems like pretty good advice to me.

Hope it helps and congratulations on signing up - I'm sure the race will be wonderful!
  • LaraeTX
    Options

NO EXTRAS SOCKS! At least I don't recommend them, because it tends to cut off circulation which is uncomfortable. Your feet will warm right up and you will be just fine.
    well, i actually meant extra socks in case i need to change, didn't mean I was gonna wear 2 pair.
  • LaraeTX
    Options
    The best advice I received and that i give is--- LIVE IN THE MOMENT! It goes by so fast. Enjoy everything smile and cheer your fellow runners on and ALWAYS thank the volunteers at the water stations and everywhere you see them, because without them the race wouldn't be possible.

very good advise! thanks
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anyone mention a thug hat. Something that keeps your BH from escaping through the top of your head. Some races will collect your clothing layers at the water stops and have them for you at the finish line well after the race is finished for the leaders. PP on eat, drink and wear what you trained with is important. Dollar stores have cheap gloves to throw away mid race. Good luck!!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Feb. 26 & 27 is the Cowtown Marathon in Ft. Worth. I'm thinking of signing up but haven't chosen a distance. They have 5k, 10k, half, full, and an ultra. Even kids 5k.