Question for HRM experts!

Options
So, I have been wearing my HRM during waking hours for the past 2 days. Yesterday (from 7am to 10pm) it read a calorie burn of 3700 without any exercise. Today from 7 am to 8:30 pm I burned 4300 calories with exercising. So my question is are these reasonable numbers? I do have a desk job, but am allowed to get up and move around whenever I need a break. I am a 5'10" 28 year old female and currently weigh 263 pounds. My HRM does have a chest strap that sends a signal to my watch (a Bowflex precision XT). My BMR is 2500 calories/day and MFP suggest I eat 2000/day for 1 lb a week weight loss. I just don't know if I really am burning that many calories, or if I am burning that many calories a day, could I potentially be in a starvation mode because I am not seeing a several pound a week weight loss? Opinions welcome please. Thanks!

Replies

• taylorlewin
    Options
    No they are no where near reasonable. The formulas the hrm uses assumes that you are active while wearing them. If you want to do an all day count get a Bodybugg
    www.bodybugg.com/
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    I have worn mine all day to see what I would burn. On on Saturday when I was cleaining house, cooking,etc., I clocked around 3600 calories from 8 a.m.- 10 p.m. I would say that your HRM is pretty close to accurate, but you need to allow approximately 10% for marginal error.
  • leweverling
    Options
    If you were to do nothing all day your BMR comes out to 2003 calories burnt so being at work and moving about thats probably right on. I once wore mine at a fairly high pace job that was up and down stairs and steps, and moving all the time. After one week I was between 6500-9000 per work shift depending on how busy we were.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted this already, but to get an accurate read of constant calorie burn, you should wear a BodyBugg or a FitBit. HRM are designed to calculate just that, your heart rate during strenuous activity like exercise. I was super stoked when I got my HRM almost a year ago, so I wore it all day just to play with it. It told me I burned 4000 calories just walking around my garden. Now, imagine if I had actually eaten those calories!!!

To get the most from your HRM, you should wear it only for exercise. You will get a more accurate reading and not be over-eating (or guesstimating) your calories in vs. calories out!
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    Thanks for the help all! I think I am going to err on the side of caution and just use my monitor only when I work out. On a side note, I did try and search google and MFP for the answer, but I just must have had the wrong words searched. I've looked into the bodybugg before, but I don't know if it is worth the money. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and as long as I'm losing weight, then I'll continue. Thanks again!