healthy mexican restaurant suggestions?

Options
I'll be going out to dinner with the girls tonight, and I was just wondering what I could order from a mexican restaurant that is healthy and low-cal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for the help. :)

Replies

• hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Fajitias
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Fajita meat minus the tortillas, sour cream, cheese. Veggie Fajita's are awesome (vegetarian here). Fajitas are high in sodium, but sweat that out the next day.

Oh yeah - No margaritas :wink:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    eek! Bit of a fat and carb fest is mexican! Personally, as all wraps, tortillas, nachos etc are going to be high calorie, I'd either pick the one I wanted most without cheese and easy on the sour cream, or be picking a (grilled) chicken fajita. Maybe you could order salad and have that alongside so you don't eat all the main? Or perhaps chilli con carne but not eat all the rice as portions are always over size. Enjoy!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options

Oh yeah - No margaritas :wink:

That's the best bit! :-)
  • lhague
    Options
    eek! Bit of a fat and carb fest is mexican! Personally, as all wraps, tortillas, nachos etc are going to be high calorie, I'd either pick the one I wanted most without cheese and easy on the sour cream, or be picking a (grilled) chicken fajita. Maybe you could order salad and have that alongside so you don't eat all the main? Or perhaps chilli con carne but not eat all the rice as portions are always over size. Enjoy!

Great idea, Chicken Fajita Salad minus the cheese and sour cream they usually serve with it
  • closermotion
    closermotion Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Excellent suggestions. Sounds like its going to be a fajita night!
  • lhague
    Options
    Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
  • taffmister
    taffmister Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went to Chimichanga's on Tuesday and had Chicken Baracoada or something like that, which was chicken breast grilled with a chipotle sause on a bed of sizzling onions and peppers - really healthy!!!
  • closermotion
    closermotion Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah that chicken breast dish sounds really delicious! I will see if the restaurant we are going to offers something like that.
  • lyndarva
    Options
    Anything you eat in a Mexican restaurant will be a problem. Even the vegetarian foods will be laden with fat and sodium. I understand the frustration because we used to live in Texas. Making the Mexican food at home is the real answer.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Fajitas--with only ONE tortilla.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Nothing at a mexican restaurant is good for you. For that matter, nothing at most restaurants are good for you. I'm even skeptical of the "diet fare" on some restaurant menus. Recently I went with my wife and daughter to the Cheesecake Factory and I ordered one of their diet salads...the pear and endive one. Before I ordered I asked the portion size. The waiter told me it was huge and that the calories on the menu represented half the salad.

Restaurants, just like our government...You've got to watch what they do, not what they say.
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Go to Chipotle's if you're craving Mexican...it's not a classy place but you decide what goes into your food and their choices are healthy
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Chipolte.

Burrito Shell - 290 Cal
    Any meat - 190
    Beans - 120
    Lettuce / Red Salsa Toppings - 50

The burrito alone, with the good toppings, we're looking at 650 Calories.

Add Cheese? 100 Cal
    Add Sour Cream? 120
    Add Guacamole? 150

Add Chips? 570 Calories

Now who's to say how many servings of the above go on a taco and how many go on a burrito.