kettlebells/ kettleballs

Options
I have heard them called bells and balls so sorry if I don't get the correct term. I just started using them yesterday and felt GREAT after!! It takes so little to get the heart going and I can totally feel the burn in my back, core, but and legs. I am curious though how to log it into the exercise journal. Is it cardio or strength training??

Replies

• mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    hmmm... not sure of the strength/cardio but I have been toying around with the idea of getting a kettlebell myself. Thanks for helping me to decide :)
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You burn 300 cardio calories in 15 minutes if you are really going for it. I love my kettelbell!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I put it under circuit training.
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    I love kettlebells!! (Hence my name). I have 3 at home and I use them all the time. I alternate free weights at the gym and kettlebells at home to keep it different.. :)
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Oooh, I just made my decision! I'm grabbing one up tomorrow while I'm in town!
  • steampunkgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For those of you that haven't tried it I was intimidated by my sisters testimony and the price at first. Jillian Michaels had a set of 3 (5,10,15) with a video and storage tray on sale at Walmart. I saw it online for $44 but when I went to purchase it I only paid $35. It's only been 1 day but so far I love it. I was on I guess an endorphin rush or something after. I could feel the burn all over but I was just feeling so good I actually danced while I did the dishes!! I just felt great!! Hope you enjoy your experience and I plan to continue to experiment with the kettlebells.
  • tmorford
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice for a starting weight? I weigh 230lbs and consider myself as a novice lifter...trying to work my way up...

4126505.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I use a 35lb KB for all of the basic movements. I use 70lb for two hand swings only and 140lb for deadlifts.

I would start with a 35lb one for a male.
  • 4Matt
    4Matt Posts: 26
    Options
    I thought superhippiechik was crazy with 300 calories in 15 minutes so I did some research...& she was RIGHT!!!! I found an article where researchers wanted to see if they are as effective as people claim & they are. Just thought people might like to know. Now I'm super motivated to get started today!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice for a starting weight? I weigh 230lbs and consider myself as a novice lifter...trying to work my way up...

I'm a small female and started with a 10lb and it was way too light, I took it back and went to a 20, in no time I was at a 25 for several moves. I think the big error people make in using a kettlebell is using too light of weight to start. The 5lbs would feel like about 1/2lb in motion and the way they are used, I was surprised to find they even made them that small. I would easily get a 30lb at this point and be good with it. I would say if you have any history of weight training, try starting with 35lbs as a male.

I think the calorie burn of 300 calories is only when you are doing them correctly. I have found several DVD's that just don't use the kettlebell right. I love using the kettlebell. I follow Lorna Kleidman's book Body Sculpting for Women and love it.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    bump
  • steampunkgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the info mlb929. I did start out with the 10 and was incredibly sore the next day. I used it again after 3 days rest and no pain whatsoever. In fact I feel like I wasn't doing something right. Wishing I had waited a few days before purchasing and just purchased the 30lbs weight. I have a 5, 10, and 15. I can still use them for deadlifts can't I? I will have to save up for the higher weight kettle balls. I do love them and think they are worth the investment. I have never heard of Lorna Kleidman and will have to check her out.
    My mom just met someone at her office who is a kettleball trainer. I will arm myself with lots more knowledge so I can use the kettleballs correctly.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    does anyone know of any good kettelbell workout dvds that ARE NOT Jillian Michaels,I really cant stand her.
  • chiccaroline
    chiccaroline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I got the kettleworx DVDs. I've completed week one and it has kicked my a***!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    ohh i'll look into that
  • goodforeyou
    goodforeyou Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love working with Kettlebells. I started using them just to a workout I saw in Prevention magazine and also have the Jillian Michaels Shred dvd. Now I've got my hubby doing them with me!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    just youtube it! Work out some of the moves and put together your own routine. Don't have to follow a dvd :)
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just got them last week.
    Love 'em!
    Got the 10, 15 and 20 pound set.
    Got Jillian's Shred It with weights.......fantastic. She's a beast!
    The 10 lb is killing me..haha. Thought I was gonna die the first time...sore for days... :bigsmile: My own fault for being so out of shape.
    But...I'm getting used it. And am really enjoying it.
    I can't believe... at this point...that the 10 lb will be too "light" some day...can't wait tho.
    Blue
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Punch Gym / Art of Strength has some very good work-along kettlebell DVDs. Their first one "Providence" is probably best to start with as all you need is one kettlebell. The other videos require either 2 kettlebells or other equipment that you may or may not have. They also have a couple DVDs that I have not seen that are geared for women, but Providence can be done by anyone. My wife does it too, just with a lighter kettlebell.
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    Yay for Kettlebell love!!

Just thought I'd do one of those annoying buzz kill posts. Just wanted to mention that because of the nature of a lot of kettlebell movements (ie swings/presses) it's very easy to injure yourself if you are doing them incorrectly.

if it is at all possible try and get a trainer (even better if they are RKC certified) to help you when you are first learning the moves so you can ensure you have correct form. If this isn't possible (I know trainers are expensive) try and find a reputable DVD or youtube instructor. I would recommend Lauren Brooks on youtube or watch some of the videos on fitmiss.tv or myohmytv.com.

I am a Jillian Michaels fan, but I am not a fan of her kettlebell DVD. I don't think that her form is all that great and although her adjustable bell is a good idea (especially since official bells are expensive)! I just think that it's kind of..weird.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I love kettlebells (hence my username!) and I'm glad they are gaining popularity. Hopefully this will mean more good instructors and DVD's!