To eat or not to eat after an intensive workout??

Options
The workout I am referring to is one that takes more than 30 or 40 minutes. I am talking about a two day, 220 mile bike ride, or a weekend of intensive backpacking. I have done both of these things and haven't figured out the best way to get back into my routine afterward. When I did a very intensive backpacking trip, I was eating almost constantly during and a couple days afterward. I ended up gaining a few pounds from that. I thought it was water/muscle gain, but I weighed myself a week later and I had officially gained 3 lbs. How frustrating, right? I felt bigger too, so I didn't think muscle gain was the winning factor here.

So just recently (this past weekend) I did a 220 mile road-bike ride. I was also eating constantly during and after biking for a three day period (biked 110 miles one day, rested one day, biked another 110 miles the next day). I ate a big dinner at the end of it all and the next day I ate a very low amount of calories even though my body was asking for more fuel. I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did last time by eating too much after a hard workout. I weighed myself the next morning and I was 2 lbs lighter! So I continued to eat just above my minimum calorie intake for a couple of days after the workout (1240cal). I had a BM the morning after the workout but I haven't had one since, so I started to think my body is conserving all it's resources at this point. I ate almost 3,000 calories yesterday because my body was begging for fuel. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in this situation? Did i do a crazy thing by not eating very much for a couple days after such an intensive workout? A workout that I burned over 10,000 calories doing in 3 days time? Please help!

Replies

• tompetty
    tompetty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Load up on carbs beforehand; load up on protein during; replenish your body healthily after, then eat normally.
    (would be my extremely unprofessional advice.)
    I do think it probably wasn't in your best interest to not give your body the fuel it needed immediately after the huge workout. However, 220 miles!! Way to go; that's awesome. Hopefully you'll get some good advice on how to better plan food-wise for next time, and either way, working out those muscles is great! :)
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    Look at it as a daily thing.
    EVERY day that you are riding you need to be eating your exercise cals AND your maint. cals.
    Really kick up your protein intake while riding and for the few days after, but don't go crazy on the calories on days that you are not riding. Try tings like protein water or powdered protein to add to drinks. And be sure to drink plenty of water during the biking and for a few days after.
    Don't go below your calories after intense workouts....your body is programmed for survival and will assume another 5000 calorie workout is coming and when it is starved after one workout it assumes it needs to hold food for the next one.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i find i get quite hungry after intense workouts
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 220 mile bike ride! My husband and I are goingto do the Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure this summer, and I'm very nervous! 350 miles in a week seems like alot tome. As far as your eating afterwards, I would have one the exact same thing, but I think the answer lies in what you ate on the day you had 3,000 calories. Was it a healthy 3,000 calories or was it a whole pizza with chips and soda? If you had a healthy foods that were high in fiber, your BM's should be pretty consitant. Also, how much water did you drink? Your body has to have water for healthy metabolism ( and that includes digestion). As for the time you go on one of your epic treks, I say continue what you did, eating what you needed during the extersion and then gradually return to your normal caloric intake when you return home. For instance, if your eating 6 500 calorie meals/snacks while your out, eat 6 400 calorie meals/snack the next day, that way your keeping your metabolism fired up by still eating as frequently, but you're still eating about 600 calories less so your can return to your normal caloric intake easier then you did before.
    I hope this helps!