Metabolism faster?

Options
Can anyone shed some light on this? I've been getting hungry almost immediately after working out, and my bf said it's because my metabolism is starting to kick in and speed up. Can anyone validate this?

Replies

• jaedre
    jaedre Posts: 22
    Options
    hes right....the more you workout the faster it will get. also if you eat small portions every 2 hours or so it will also boost your metabolism. another trick is do cardio first thing in the morning (before breakfast) that will speed it up throughout the day
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    That's correct. As your body's metabolism starts becoming accustomed to performing physical activities, it will start asking for more fuel in order to compensate for the output. It's a natural biological process. As jaedre stated, eating small portions every 2 - 3 hours boosts metabolism because it keeps your metabolism constantly working throughout the day. Keeping the portions small, but frequent, keeps the urge to binge from hitting you.
  • brianhin
    Options
    Your boyfriend is correct. And it's a GOOD thing! Keep it up! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been exercising long, it's probably just part of the adjustment process. People have varied hunger responses to activity. Some feel more hungry, some don't. It might be related to glycogen stores, it might be psychological, it might be your eating patterns, blood sugar levels, or it might not be related to anything at all.

However it is almost certain that it is not related to "increased metabolism". The elevation in oxygen consumption (EPOC) is relatively small, in both absolute and relative terms.