Do you log candy...

Options
I'm wondering if you log candy like gum or gumballs or peppermints?
I use those types of things to keep me from eating till it's time to eat.

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I would look up the calorie count on the candy and enter it as a snack. I don't usually eat that stuff it gives me heartburn. I do chew gum and the kind I chew is 5 calories. I don't eneter that because I figure I burn 5 calories chewing it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I log it, or I used to when I ate it.

I would say also put away some money for the dentist....:laugh:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I log gum. i don't eat mints though.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on what it is and how many calories it is. I don't generally log gum, but I feel like if I swallow it- it is fair game to be logged...
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    i don't log gum, but i logged my jawbreaker the other day. :)
  • glittersoul
    Options
    I log it if I have it
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If there's calories, might be a good idea to log it. You may be surprised how many calories your taking in on those things.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat them but I log when I do eat them! Mostly peppermints around the holidays though...
  • kitchentales
    Options
    If I swallow it, I log it. I do not keep track of gum, but I just logged the 3 mini eggs I ate, even though it was only 3 mini eggs. Depends on how picky you want to be and how much candy you're eating I think.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Any piece of gum and any candy, if I eat any. You might be surprised how many calories those random mints could add up to in a day.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I don't log my sugar free gum, I just never thought to to be honest! I do log my black no sugar coffee at 5 calories.

I just checked, they are 3 calories each...thats 15-21 unaccounted calories per day! But then I have my activity set as sedentary and very rarely log any of my exercise or activities so i reckon i'm safe
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Just a thought... you may want to try and cut back on this little habit. 1) you want to try to re-train your brain to not think you need to be eating all the time and get it used to your meal schedule. and 2) The more sweets you eat (even sugar free), the more you trigger cravings for sweet.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're tracking sugar, you'll want to enter the gumballs and mints (since they are candy coated and hard candy, respectively).

With gum, you should log the calories even though you aren't swallowing it since during the course of chewing it you are basically extracting everything that's in the gum and ingesting it into your system. That's why the gum eventually gets harder and more rubbery, because you're all but taking it back down to just that gum base and everything else goes in your body.
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    I log it, or I used to when I ate it.

I would say also put away some money for the dentist....:laugh:
    Lol
    I thought about that lol. I need to go back to having fruit for snacks at work :/
  • KadieA
    Options
    Just a thought... you may want to try and cut back on this little habit. 1) you want to try to re-train your brain to not think you need to be eating all the time and get it used to your meal schedule. and 2) The more sweets you eat (even sugar free), the more you trigger cravings for sweet.

I know :frown: It's something Im working on but they are things I can keep at my desk and snack on to keep my mind and mouth pre-occupied while I work.
    I think I have a huge problem with that-always wanting something to eat or at least have in my mouth-like gum.
  • KadieA
    Options
    I log everything. Any piece of gum and any candy, if I eat any. You might be surprised how many calories those random mints could add up to in a day.

I ate/chewed a bag of gumballs between yesterday and today....10 calories per ball (which is TONS for a small gum ball)...17 servings. The gumballs are def something I will be laying off of!
  • KadieA
    Options
    If I swallow it, I log it. I do not keep track of gum, but I just logged the 3 mini eggs I ate, even though it was only 3 mini eggs. Depends on how picky you want to be and how much candy you're eating I think.
    This is making me think I may want to cut candy out all in all....
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    log it, it adds up...
  • KadieA
    Options
    Thanks you all for your advice and input! I really appreciated. Seems like I've been cheating myself.
    I will cut back on my sweet intake and stick to sugar free gum in which I will log under snacks :)

Do you all recommend anything better?? I used to do grapes but I know that can up my sugars.
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    some have calories of 0 but others have a caolric intake of 60 cals and higher!!