Your Hometown Uniqueness

Options
I drive by "Old Shep's" gravestone every day~

Shep2Broomfield.jpg

Shep was described as a "black-and-white mongrel", but the photo of him (above) reveals a classically-marked Border Collie-type dog. He first appeared as a puppy to Colorado State Department of Highways construction workers in 1950. They were building the Denver-Boulder Turnpike which would open for business in 1952. He is described as "a shy, unkempt puppy", but a former toll collector said that he began to come closer every day. Then on a particularly cold night, the dog let himself be enticed into a toll booth, where he slept on a blanket that night. Thereafter, "he remained a regular sight in and near the Broomfield tollhouse, both to highway workers and to the millions of travelers who cruised by for the next 12 years."

Shep became the turnpike mascot, so much so that his photograph was used on the state's financial statements for the turnpike in 1954 and 1955. The former mayor of Broomfield, Clyde Brunner, was also a veterinarian, and he patched Shep up when he got into trouble. Once Shep tangled with coyotes. One day they found him lying in the grass, having been shot in the leg for messing with a nearby farmer's animals. The tollhouse was his home, but he wandered the countryside, and liked to ride in the workers trucks or the highway patrol cars. Like Shep of Benton, Montana, or Silverton Bobbie, he got gifts and letters, and money from turnpike travelers, enough so that a checking account was opened in the local bank for him. Once a dog food salesman dropped off a case of food and said that when Shep ran out he'd bring some more.

Eventually, age crept up on him, with all it's attendant infirmities, and eventually the toll collectors had to have him put to sleep. Even after his death, his bank account continued to swell with generous motorists' donations, so that Shep's grave, on a hillside along the highway where he lived, was able to be provided with two gravestones and a wrought iron fence.

What's unique/special in your hometown? :smile:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I drive by "Old Shep's" gravestone every day~

Shep2Broomfield.jpg

Shep was described as a "black-and-white mongrel", but the photo of him (above) reveals a classically-marked Border Collie-type dog. He first appeared as a puppy to Colorado State Department of Highways construction workers in 1950. They were building the Denver-Boulder Turnpike which would open for business in 1952. He is described as "a shy, unkempt puppy", but a former toll collector said that he began to come closer every day. Then on a particularly cold night, the dog let himself be enticed into a toll booth, where he slept on a blanket that night. Thereafter, "he remained a regular sight in and near the Broomfield tollhouse, both to highway workers and to the millions of travelers who cruised by for the next 12 years."

Shep became the turnpike mascot, so much so that his photograph was used on the state's financial statements for the turnpike in 1954 and 1955. The former mayor of Broomfield, Clyde Brunner, was also a veterinarian, and he patched Shep up when he got into trouble. Once Shep tangled with coyotes. One day they found him lying in the grass, having been shot in the leg for messing with a nearby farmer's animals. The tollhouse was his home, but he wandered the countryside, and liked to ride in the workers trucks or the highway patrol cars. Like Shep of Benton, Montana, or Silverton Bobbie, he got gifts and letters, and money from turnpike travelers, enough so that a checking account was opened in the local bank for him. Once a dog food salesman dropped off a case of food and said that when Shep ran out he'd bring some more.

Eventually, age crept up on him, with all it's attendant infirmities, and eventually the toll collectors had to have him put to sleep. Even after his death, his bank account continued to swell with generous motorists' donations, so that Shep's grave, on a hillside along the highway where he lived, was able to be provided with two gravestones and a wrought iron fence.

• girldeese
    Options
    I live in the middle of the desert on base!

:heart: Best ever Marines!! :heart: My husband works on CH46 helicopters as a Marine....

Nothing looks as good as freedom sounds....flying over your house!:heart:

Well....trying to get my pisc to work, but that is still what it is!:wink:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I live in the middle of the desert on base!

:heart: Best ever Marines!! :heart: My husband works on CH46 helicopters as a Marine....

Nothing looks as good as freedom sounds....flying over your house!:heart:

Well....trying to get my pisc to work, but that is still what it is!:wink:

Forget the helicopters - post pics of the Marines!!! :love: :devil: :bigsmile:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Nothing. I live in a van down by the river.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Options

Waterfront property. Vedddy niiiice. thumbup.gif
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options

Don't laugh! He really DOES!!
    van.jpg
  • Shannon023
    Options

van.jpg

You've been there too, huh? :grumble:

He didn't share his Mad Dog 20/20 with you too, did he???? :angry:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

van.jpg

He clearly knows that I am a Boonesfarm lady, thank you.:bigsmile:
  • Shannon023
    Options

I feel soooooo used!!! :sad:

Oh wait.....I like that feeling......nevermind! :drinker:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options

chrisfarly.jpg I think he's :love:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

chrisfarly.jpg I think he's :love:

mfvan.jpg

:laugh:

OOPS! Shannon's thread has been officially jacked.:embarassed:

Back to hometown uniqueness people.:bigsmile:
  • pecksun8
    Options
    I grew up in a small northern Michigan town called Gaylord. Gaylord is the sister city to Pontressa Switzerland, so we have this festival every year called "Alpenfest". It lasts a week and takes over the main street and is actually quite fun. There is this rock that came from Pontressa and it sits on the courthouse lawn.

scottvilleclownband.jpg
    SeidellxxsxatxAlpenfest.jpg

The only other really cool thing, is that every winter they put up a large christmas tree on the lawn of the courthouse and run a plumbing line up the tree and once it's cold enough for the water to freeze, they start icing the tree. So eventually, you end up with this gigantic frozen tree. It looks pretty cool.

icetree-1.jpg

Another really cool thing about Northern Michigan are the forts that are scattered all through it. Especially the one on Mackinaw Island. It's really something to check out.

180px-Fort_Mackinac_modern.jpg

Mackinac Island is a green island jewel in the blue waters between Lakes Huron and Michigan, and has been a vacation destination for more than a century.
    In 1715 the European fur traders and settlers established a small village called Michilimackinac at the shores of the Straits of Mackinaw because of its strategic location at the crossroads of the Great Lakes. Eventually this small village became the home of the French and British military operations that spread into the Upper Great Lakes. Although it appears as though time has remained still for over 200 years inside the palisades of Michilimackinac, Michigan's Favorite Vacation Getaway has sprung up around the Historic Landmark. Mackinaw Island now offers endless visitor attractions, activities, shopping and live entertainment.

Aside from visiting the National Historic Landmarks of Colonial Michilimackinac, Historic Mill Creek, Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse and Fort Mackinac, visitors will be awed at the new turn of the century streetscapes, parks, sidewalks, storefronts, golf courses, lakeside resorts, hotels, and bed & breakfasts in Mackinaw.

Hop on one of the three ferry boat lines in Mackinaw City for transportation to world famous Mackinaw Island, known as Michigan's crown jewel. On Mackinaw Island you will experience what life was like without automobiles, as they are banned from the 81/2-mile-long Island. Your transportation to see the many island attractions will be horse-drawn carriages and bicycles.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I grew up in a small northern Michigan town called Gaylord. Gaylord is the sister city to Pontressa Switzerland, so we have this festival every year called "Alpenfest". It lasts a week and takes over the main street and is actually quite fun. There is this rock that came from Pontressa and it sits on the courthouse lawn.

scottvilleclownband.jpg
    SeidellxxsxatxAlpenfest.jpg

That looks like fun. :smile: I wished we lived in a smaller town that would have those types of festivals, but without 100,000 people around. :grumble:
  • pecksun8
    Options
    It was great to grow up in a place where you didn't have to worry about walking at night by yourself. But at the same time, everyone knew everyone, and you couldn't do anything without it coming back around to your parents. Which is good when your a parent.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Living in the Nations Capital of Canada we have sooo many beautiful and great things that happen through out the year here!!!

the Parliment buildings
    parliament1.jpg

National War Memorial
    450px-Remembrance_Day_2007-21.jpg

The Tulip festival is a wonderful festival in spring
    180px-HPIM13881.jpg

And of course Skating on the longest skating rink in the world durring winterlude the rideau canal!!! durring winterlude there is a multitude of attractions including ice sculptures snow sculptures and of course a canadian favorite BEAVER TAILS (its a dough that is flattened and deep fried then is spread with butter and cinnamin and brown sugar or other toppings yum yum)
    280px-Winterlude_Ice_Train1.jpg

sorry cant spell:grumble:
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I bet you do a lot of Doobie smoking then.
  • Steffykins
    Options
    All your home towns look so lovely, I can't wait to visit America and Canada. I have a friend studying in Kansas at the minute and she loves it (she also says she's never seen so many fast food places in her life!!)

Well I grew up in Ireland but I'm studying in Norwich in England at the minute. It's England's second city and it's quite cute!

Image013.jpg

54545613_6616175aac.jpg
  • Shannon023
    Options
    All your home towns look so lovely, I can't wait to visit America and Canada. I have a friend studying in Kansas at the minute and she loves it (she also says she's never seen so many fast food places in her life!!)

Well I grew up in Ireland but I'm studying in Norwich in England at the minute. It's England's second city and it's quite cute!

Image013.jpg

54545613_6616175aac.jpg

VERY cool! I've always wanted to go to Europe! :smokin:
  • pecksun8
    Options
    Ireland was one of the places I wanted to go to when I was in Germany. I have been to just about everywhere in Europe and I loved it over there.

We made plans a couple of times to go to Ireland for the big St. Patrick's Day Fests, but something would always happen or get in the way. A big part of wanting to go, is that my grandfather was irish, and I was born on St. Pat's day. That just would have been a great Birthday.