HELP ME! I need to get in shape. P90X Sucks!

Options
Hey guys. I need a good way to work out at home when I am snowed in or cant make it to the Gym.

Im just starting really trying to get into shape, so my fitness level is not great. Also, I am broke, so I cant go out and buy lots of equipment or anything.

I tried P90X and it's way to hard for me, I couldn't get through the first video, what's the point of a workout video that you have to be in SICK shape to get through in the first place.

Another problem I find with a lot of workout videos are they are made for women, I don't want to stop and "shake my *kitten*" or "break it down" halfway through the workout. It''s stupid.

So my question is, does anyone know of a good workout video for a MAN trying to get into shape. Thanks!

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    It's called pushing yourself. I guess you didn't follow Tony's advice to modify. Just because you could not do it does not mean it Sucks!
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi --

I know I am a women but my husband and I decided to try Power 90 BEFORE we do P90X. Our research showed that Power 90 was a better choice for us to start off with since it was not quite that intense as P90X. When I first viewed the video (without trying it), I thought there was no way we could get any real results. After doing the fat burning video for five days, I am now more of a believer. The first two days I put everything into it and I was sore everywhere. The next two days I eased up to see if that helped and I am no longer sore. Today I went all out so I maybe sore tomorrow. It also raises your heartrate. We will see. I recommend it.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    It does seem like a lot of the workout videos out there are geared toward women. Maybe try some of the Biggest Loser workouts, especially the ones lead by the male trainer? I haven't tried them, but some people like them. You can also find workout plans online. They aren't videos, but they could still be beneficial.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Just got the biggest loser cardio max at walmart for like $9. Love it! Has both men and women in the video and it kicks your butt if youre not in shape.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Try Insanity
  • NathanBurton
    Options
    It's called pushing yourself. I guess you didn't follow Tony's advice to modify. Just because you could not do it does not mean it Sucks!

Sorry if I offended you, let me rephrase, "It Sucks for me".

It's not that I didn't try to push it, I literally can't pull off most of the moves in the program.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Try the new Belly Off workout DVDs. They were created by the writers of Men's Health Magazine!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You can do P90X Lean you have options...but if it 'sucks for you'....You can start with the pre P90X program...called 'Power90'....!
  • NathanBurton
    Options
    I'll try the biggest loser or Power90 ones. Maybe they will work better for me.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

You stole the words right from my mouth! I could not do TurboJam either, but each day, I pushed it and now you can't stop me.
  • jrowan
    jrowan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try the free walk at home video its really good

http://www.walkathome.com/try-walk-at-home/
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Modify, modify, modify! I am on my 2nd week of Insanity right now, and believe me, I did not think I would make it through the first fit test! It's all about pushing yourself to your own limits. Don't give up on P90X just because you thought it was too hard. Modify the moves if you need to. Stop and rest when you need to. In time you will find your endurance increasing and it gets easier so you can modify again to continue to push yourself. ANY movement is better than none at all so you WILL see results, even with a little modification.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michales is cheap and won't even try to make you boogy. It's all pretty straitforward old-fashioned calisthetics. However, all of them are intense, you just have to modify until you can keep up with the people in the video.

By the way, I wasn't in any shape at all when I first did P90X. It's all a matter of modifying to your level of fitness. And this is coming from a person who started off doing push-ups against a wall because I couldn't do them on my knees.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds for 2 weeks now....she has 1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile, and 4 miles walks you can build up to. They are for everybody, there is a guy in the vids too. Doing this has helped me tremendously, I was sooo out of shape before I started and now I have endurance and it prepared me to do the 30 Day Shred....try it out! I've lost 6 pounds so far!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I tried P90X and it's way to hard for me, I couldn't get through the first video, what's the point of a workout video that you have to be in SICK shape to get through in the first place.

Sorry but this are the things that make me laugh. The program doesn't suck, you just believe it does because you can't finish the workout. I'll just say this, you don't have to finish the workout in order to make P90X work for you, as long as you always do your best. Therefore I'll leave it there and wish you good luck LOL
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    I know you said you didn't want a video hosted by a woman but Jackie Warner is amazing and def does not stop to do a "booty drop" or "*kitten* shake" during the program. she is no frills and will work you to the bone. Also Jillian Michaels is pretty hard core as well.

as for P90X being too hard, well you are right. it's a tough workout, meant to make you sweat and work muscles that you don't usually work. if Tony says do 25, and you can't push out 10 then just do the ten and then take a breather while he finishes the work out. i can't do a pull up to save my sole, and there is an entire video dedicated to pull ups...but it's about taking it to the next level. After a few work outs, i was able to do as many as 3 pull ups without stopping and without assistance! i was wowed!!

believe in yourself! you cannot fail when you have a little faith and determination! :wink:
  • jnewton26
    jnewton26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about videos. Menshealth.com Has great circuit workouts, a lot of which only use a couple of dumbells. Try the Spartacus workout on their site, it is awesome and only takes about 40 minutes.
  • thomma12
    thomma12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I want to do P90X as well but I thought it would be way to hard for me and I would just get demoralized and quit so I'm doing Power 90 first. There are 2 different levels so you start off slow with Level 1-2 and then when you're ready you move up to Level 3-4. Still great exercise (and not girly :) ) but gets you in to working out more gradually and actually if you look in the book that comes with P90X they advise doing the equivalent of Power 90 before attempting P90X. Hope this helps! Good luck and don't get demoralized!
  • Griffin90
    Griffin90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you can't get to the gym try walking in the snow. Seriously. Have you ever tried walking through a foot or more of snow. You have to really pick up your legs to move. Plus you are most likely wearing heavy boots adding to the exercise.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    sometimes i move the furnitur to the side and jog back and fourth through the house for 30 to 40 minutes.