Tired of fruits and veggies... HELP!

Options
Alright guys i need some fruit and veggie suggestions before i succumb to more granola bars and cookies!! i'm SO tired of eating oranges, broccoli, asparagus and green beans. i don't like the texture of raw peaches and pears (i tried!). Fresh pineapple is too expensive :(. what are some new veggies i can try that are along those lines but different? i'm honestly up to try anything that you think is good!

i already eat a lot of apples and bananas. i love zuchinni, celery, and ehh kinda sick of salads too.

i won't eat grapes cause they're not filling to me. i like to be able to eat a lot of something (don't we all!)

Replies

• tmarie1213
    tmarie1213 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try carrotts, corn, cantelope, kiwi, strawberries... you can get frozen veggies too... they may be cheaper and will last longer.

Good luck!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    V8 Fusion (reduced cal)...fruits and veggies all in one! :-) I keep some singles cans around for emergency. I also keep a bag of frozen mixed berries on hand for throwing a fruit serving in cereal, or just mix with a little almond milk.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    incorporate other things into your meal. For instance, sweet potatoes and white potatoes are vegetables too, and if eaten in moderation without the excess butter and such, it is a good thing. You can also try jazmin brown rice, whole wheat pasta and such. Just get creative with your menu. Sorry thats the best i can offer in terms of advice
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on small amounts of dried fruit. You can portion it out and get some very interesting and new flavors as well as nice chewy textures there. I also love to snack on almonds and other nuts. They are high in protein and just downright yummy! Of course, I love slices of red peppers right out of the fridge, and frozen berries in a smoothie are just awesome!

Good luck!!!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Alright guys i need some fruit and veggie suggestions before i succumb to more granola bars and cookies!! i'm SO tired of eating oranges, broccoli, asparagus and green beans. i don't like the texture of raw peaches and pears (i tried!). Fresh pineapple is too expensive :(. what are some new veggies i can try that are along those lines but different? i'm honestly up to try anything that you think is good!

i already eat a lot of apples and bananas. i love zuchinni, celery, and ehh kinda sick of salads too.

i won't eat grapes cause they're not filling to me. i like to be able to eat a lot of something (don't we all!)

Cauliflower, steamed or mashed. I like it steamed with broccoli, with a dash of lemon juice and kosher salt
    sweet potatoes
    It's the wrong season right now, but MELON!! watermelon, canteloupe, and honeydew nom nom nom!
    Blueberries, which are good fresh or frozen.
    Cucumbers!!
    Berries! Strawberries are easy to grow, too. We have strawberries and blackberries growing in our yard (we planted them)
    Cherries are common right now in the grocery store, although I won't touch a cherry.
    Steamed yellow squash & onions, nom nom nom!

Good luck and good eating!
  • glittersoul
    Options
    You can buy frozen pineapple for much less. Also try making smoothies for the fruit. And maybe for the veggies try roasting them or cooking them differently
  • Bluedimplett
    Bluedimplett Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I change the fruits every week.

Last week it was cantaloupe and papaya

this week it is honey dew melon and asian pear (the texture is way better than a normal pear!)

Jicama is also a good option. :)
  • wannalive
    Options
    My favorites are:

eggplants
    tomatoes
    artichokes
    spinach
    winter squash, if my husband cooks them (they are too much a bother for me to cook)

nectarines, if they are *perfect*
    strawberries

mushrooms probably don't count but I love them
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    V8 Fusion (reduced cal)...fruits and veggies all in one! :-) I keep some singles cans around for emergency. I also keep a bag of frozen mixed berries on hand for throwing a fruit serving in cereal, or just mix with a little almond milk.

i LOVE the idea of putting the berries for use in a cereal. i will def be using my strawberries that have been chilling in my freezer. thanks!
  • collyn23
    Options
    yellow squash , cabbage, kiwi, sweet potatoes, snap peas, water chesnuts, melons, grapefruit, mix up your salads like lettuce with onions and throw some fruits in or dried fruits or make a spinach and strawberry salad, add oranges to it I love salads. also green peppers, yellow peppers, orange or red peppers great raw or cooked. tomatoes, plums, apricots, I mean the list goes on and on
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My favorites are:

eggplants
    tomatoes
    artichokes
    spinach
    winter squash, if my husband cooks them (they are too much a bother for me to cook)

strawberries

how do you prepare your artichokes and eggplants? these are veggies i'd love to try
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I suggest trying new vegetables also!
    Acorn squash, spaghetti squashes, leeks, fennel, etc.
    Additionally you can try some frozen mango for smoothies or Acai berry (frozen) for smoothies also
    Another thing you can do that some parents do to sneak vegetables into kids meals is to puree relatively sweet/bland tasting things like steamed carrots and adding it into recipes like meat loafs etc.
    If the idea of adding vegetable purees to your standard meals appeals to you in terms of adding more healthful vegetables to your overall diet purchase one of those cookbooks! There are a few available and I'll post the links if you're interested.
  • theidarisafa
    Options
    Buy whatever is in season.

Canned' fruit is not bad as long as it's NOT packed in sugar syrup.

I personally love canned peaches(texture is different) and canned pears. Love canalope as well.

What you're eating is just fine as long as you're getting in your fiber and recommended amounts of fruit and vegetabls. Once summer is here, you'll have a bigger availability of fresh fruits and veggies.

I really like green peas. I know corn isn't the best for you, but I found that the mix of corn, peas and carrots is pretty tasty together.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    My favorites are:

eggplants
    tomatoes
    artichokes
    spinach

strawberries

how do you prepare your artichokes and eggplants? these are veggies i'd love to try

I'm not a die hard Hungry girl fan (some of the recipes downright gross me out, I'm a bit of a purist) BUT I think I saw on her show (or someone elses) that you can use sauteed strips of eggplant and make a lasagne, instead of using all lasagne noodles for your layers you alternate btwn eggplant or lasagne noodle and reduces the pasta total. Plus eggplant itself has low calories IIRC.
  • lilpull
    Options
    This may sound boring to some, but I often eat the inexpensive and easy veggies. I buy them frozen (just as good for you as fresh)-- green beans, mixed veggies (corn, carrots, beans and peas), peas, and broccoli. So no beans cause you're sick of em, but I like to put peas and pepper on cottage cheese or either feta/grated parmesan on broccoli or mixed vegetables. The cheese is a nice protein boost and helps make boring vegetables more palatable, if not enjoyable.
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    You could try cooking them differently and/or adding to them. For example, cook greens beans with carrots, peas with baby onions, corn and lima beans, corn green beans and red onion, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli; just a few examples, depending on what you like. Have you tried tomatoes by themselves? Also, mix your fruits together for mini fruit salads. There's a bunch of different kinds of melons! Don't be afraid to try something new. And with salads... just prepare them differently. I find adding different fruits or vegetables and nuts in my salads spruces them up. Like one day make a salad and add walnuts and strawberries to it, and another day add broccoli and sunflowers seeds to it. You could even add nuts to your fruits and vegetables. One of my fave snacks is a cut up banana with some walnuts. I also like adding almonds to my broccoli. Combinations can be endless!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had the best fruit salad ever yesterday, it was papaya, mango, pineapple and coconut, so tropical and delicious! it makes a lot, but whatever is leftover can be frozen for smoothies.
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    How about sliced red, orange, and yellow bell peppers??
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Another great option is the use of spices when cooking your veggies. Here are so many spices to experiment with.

For example the other day I was so hurting for something with a very strong flavor - I sautéd two zucchini in half a tablespoon of canola oil and added a generous amount of lemon pepper seasoning. I couldn't believe how yummy it was!

Best of luck :)
  • rache12581
    Options
    my lasest obession is egg white omlettes w/ red, green & orange peppers & a little bit of a low fat cheese