What are your best tips for weight loss?

Options
What food do you avoid, how many times a week do you work out, what food do you eat the most...etc. How much have you lost!? Give me some ideas and inspiration!
I currently am doing WW and not finding a whole lot of success. Since Sept I've only lost 9. I run 3-5 days a week, about 3 miles. Tell me your story!

Replies

• ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    What food do you avoid?
    Pretty much nothing unless it is ridiculously processed. I used to eat a lot of pasta, but I don't so much anymore just because of the calorie count.

How many times a week do you work out?
    I try to do some exercise every day, whether it be "hardcore" or not. Like last night, for example, I did 20 minutes on my Wii with Just Dance 2. It was better than sitting my butt on the couch. I try to do Zumba as much as I can, but these classes are getting expensive! LOL!

What food do you eat the most?
    Oatmeal. I have it every single morning. It helps to keep me satisfied. Oh, and I add peanut butter to a lot of stuff. Its high in calories, but I hear its a "good" fat. It helps keep me full, too.

How much have you lost!?
    To date, 11 lbs since Nov 22.
  • emaildianeb
    emaildianeb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I'm serious about losing weight, I have to avoid potato's.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I work out 7 days a week,I pretty much eat what I want im just not a very big eater.I cut out soda compleatly except coke zero every now and then
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I avoid fast food. I will go to restaurants etc and research my meals but I avoid fast food chains like the plague.

I eat a lot of peanut butter, ground turkey, veggies and drink lots of water. Oatmeal is definitely awesome!

I work out 6 days a week for about 40 min during the week and an hour on the weekends. Cardio is my friend!

I am at 10 pounds lost since second week in January .
  • outersoul
    Options
    I've only been here a month but this is what's worked for me:

-Don't make drastic changes
    -Eat what you like but in moderation
    -Set short term goals
    -Set long term goals
    -Don't rely only on the scale, measure or see how your clothes feel
    -Eat back some of your exercise calories
    -Make time for exercising
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    What food do you avoid, how many times a week do you work out, what food do you eat the most...etc. How much have you lost!? Give me some ideas and inspiration!
    I currently am doing WW and not finding a whole lot of success. Since Sept I've only lost 9. I run 3-5 days a week, about 3 miles. Tell me your story!

Are you just running? If so, it would help to add some weight training.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, initially following a portioned meal plan that took into account the amount of carbs I eat per meal, helped me lose weight from diet alone, along with lowering my blood sugar. The calorie counting came later.

I incorporated a wide variety of lean meat, fiber, whole wheat, and an array of vegetables, which is what I usually eat. There's nothing I actually cut out of my diet.

I exercise almost everyday with an inconceivably large amount of calories burned, according to my elliptical machine, which seems to be accurate. So far, I've lost about 125 lbs [I'm currently fluctuating between 1 - 2 pounds] in about 10 months.
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I did lose a decent amount of weight several years ago, I made loose rules for myself, like: only one serving of sweets/ dessert per day, no eating after dinner, get sweaty from working out once a day, and each meal had a full serving of fruit/ veggies in it. The rules definitely worked, but went out the window when I went to college :P
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I agree with not making big changes. I have been on the diet roller coaster for a long time, and the faster I lost the weight, the faster it caught back up to me. Small changes will usually keep a person from feeling starved and wanting to binge eat.
  • Blueeyes1117
    Blueeyes1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well im still learning but with all of the people on here its becoming easier and easier. WATER, WATER, WATER need to drink as much water as possible atleast 8 cups a day. I've taken soda completely out of my diet. I started eating more veggies and fruits (one day at a time for me considering im such a picky eater) i work out atleast 4 days a week for atleast an hour each time some times i do 5 or 6 days a week. I cut out fried food and i allow myself one cheat day a week. As you go you'll get so much advice and help from everyone on the website it definitely motivates you and helps alot!! Good luck to you!!
  • shellywoodworth
    shellywoodworth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I avoid all fast foods, gave up soda, cut down on red meat.....lets just say I eat alot of chicken. I work out 6 days a week for about 30 min. I alternate my treadmill and 30 day shread so I dont get board. I have lost 25 pounds since 11/8/10.
  • gypsyrosedog
    Options
    Hi,
    My weight loss tips are from 2 separate weight loss Journeys I'll refer to as before and now...

How much have you lost!?
    Before (March 2005-late 2006) I lost around 80 lbs. I gained about half this back by January 2008.
    Now I have lost about 9 lbs. since early January.

What food do you avoid?
    Before I was following a supervised meal plan based on the low GI. not eating any 'white carbs', whole grain breads only 3 days a week 1-slice, egg white ommlettes 4 days a week, carbs at lunch the omlette days but only wheat pitas and brown rice, ate low fat cheese 1 oz or so per day, only certain fruits and twice a day, not really and sweets unless you count light jello or pudding made with skim milk, nuts for snacks (walnut, almonds raw & not salted).
    Now I basically eat what I want to fall within my calories, fat and carbs on MFP. I love sweets so it's hard. I stuggle to meet the sugar intake limit. I go over on protein. I eat many of the same good foods from the low GI plan I was on.
    For both I try to limit alcohol too, it sucks (for me) but I find it REALLY slows my metabolism. I will only have a drink once per week.

For both losses I am drinking a lot of water...4L per day...the rule of thumb I follow is to drink the basic 2L(=8 cups) per day plus 2L for EVERY 20 lbs. overweight you were. Water is critical...my rule is 3 cups with breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack and then 1 L at supper MINIMUM. (I have a bottle that holds 3 cups so I'm not counting cups just refills), I usually drink more becuase once you drink this much water you are more thirsty, go figure. Alll this water is on top of my daily decaf green tea with breakfast and 2 cups of black coffee and anything else I may drink like skim milk, other teas etc. Big tip-get a kitchen scale, almost everything I eat is weighed or measured! Other main staples of my diet are lean proteins (mostly chicken breasts really, also fish though), lots of veggies (which make me cry) but no white potato, corn, squash generally, Fruit once or twice per day, whole grains (rice, pasta, bread). I have learned to like salad despite my loathing of most veggies because most I can bear to eat raw. I like a huge bowl of spinach with shreddied carrots and other veggies tossed with 2 tbsp. light dressing and topped with 1 oz. low fat cheese shredded and 2.5 oz. baked chicken breast...I'm my favorite supper. Also, eat soon after getting up and then evey two hours or so up to supper.

Before-not once.
    Now-I try and be active daily. I want to be stronger, this is a life style thing. I now embrace breaking a sweat. I am in bad shape so my idea of exercise is brisks walks in out extremely hilly area or shovelling snow the last couple of days. It also gives you more calories, which I generally consume.
  • caroline1851
    Options
    I started exactly a month ago and i've lost about 8lbs (give or take 1/2). I just cut down obvious junk food. I eat around 1500-1700 calories/day. I make sure ALMOST everything i eat has nutritional value and not just crap. i start each day with hard boiled egg whites and then i eat often through the day but smaller amounts. Breads, etc. are the worst for me, so i try to juts have one carb like that a day (a bagel, or 2 pieces of toast, or a grinder roll, etc.). I exercise about an hour a day-various stuff. Either fast walking, Eliptical, Just Dance, Zumba, Weights, whatever. I just make sure i do an hour. I've taken 3 days off from exercise in the last month. AT nigth around 8p, i always crave a snack, so i have 2 cups of popcorn. This all seems to be working. :)
  • dianam1973
    Options
    Eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day.....example:

7:00am-egg beaters with zuchinni and ham
    10:00am-protein shake mixed with 8 oz water
    12:00pm-chicken breast, asparagus, and brown rice
    3:00pm-an apple with mixed nuts
    6:00pm-salman with a side of zuchinni
    8:00pm-if I'm still hungry another protein shake

I always cut out my carbs for dinner! I also take a fat burner, and exercise at least 5 times a week. I do a lot of cardio everyday etc.....
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What food do you avoid?
    I try to avoid these as much as I can but its not always possible: sugars, oils, white flour, sodium.

5 days a week

probably chicken, turkey, and fish. I make lots of yummy food at home.

How much have you lost!?
    88.2 lbs since 3/23/10
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hhmorgan22
    hhmorgan22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    when i first lose a lot of weight i only drank water. and LOTS of it throughout the day. i also never went 3-4 hours without a healthy snack or small healthy meal. made myself eat big salad for lunch and dinner and worked out 5-6 days a week for 30 minutes. i found i lost the most weight when i began jogging/running for about 30 minutes every other day.
  • helenamonks
    Options

I don't avoid any foods, I work out about 3-4 times a hardcore workout, and I play my xbox kinect normally one day and 1-2 days of rest depending on how I'm feeling. I eat special K the most probably because I throw it in for breakfast and its a good nighttime snack. I drink tooooons of water all day every day. NO SODA. And I eat 6-7 times a day. I've lost 14.4 lbs since Jan 5th. :) Hope this helps!
  • junkfoodsux
    Options
    Know who YOU are as an individual...your weaknesses, flaws, strengths, capabilities, etc...then proceed...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!