Feeling hungry, not full!! Help please!!

Options
Hey guys!

So over all MFP is really helping me get a feel for what I should be eating calorie wise, and my exercise schedule is really working out.! My dilemma at the moment is that I am eating a lot healthier, but I feel like I'm starving all the time!! Any suggestions for foods that will stick with me longer (get me from meal to meal) with out giving me a lot of unhealthy calories?

One love,
Jessi <3

Replies

• Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Apples, almonds, cottage cheese... Anything full of fiber and/or protein tend to work for me.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds (don't overdo it), greek yogurt, hard boiled egg or string cheese always seem to do the trick for me
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    what works for me is oatmeal and coffee it will keep my stomach full for a while. Also plenty of water will help with that as well :)
  • DaughterofBeauty
    Options
    So, maybe not the funnest snack.. but veggies make the cut! A cup of steamed broccolie (throw it in the microwave, in a bowl with little water for a minute or two), or a handful of baby carrots, have small, small calorie punches, and help fill you up. Not to mention help you get the nutrients your body needs! Also, try to drink some water before eating, or between snacks.. it helps too.
    Press on!
    :)
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Raw spinach.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Beans. Chili, lentil soup, split pea soup.

I love beans and brown rice. You can make it spicy, add some salsa, sprinkle a little cheese and it keeps you full for a long time.

The key is Fiber!

Brown rice, whole wheat (whole grains in general). Whole fruit and veggies. You also need some fat.

Try for five small meals - always with Protein, Carbs and Fat in every meal/snack.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    arnold health full 10 grain bread one piece toasted with low fat peanut butter on it... yummm..
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Eating low Kcal high fiber food tend to help. Most fruits or veggies fit the bill. Combining a high fiber food with higher fat food can also leave you feeling fuller longer. A combo such as PB and celery sticks, fruit with low-fat yogurt even a boiled egg. Remember to to drink your water. Dehydration can mimic hunger.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating often enough?
    I just had a bowl of Multi Grain cheerios (110 cals a cup) and 1/2 cup of skim milk for my afternoon snack. YUM
  • bgluvssoccer
    Options
    I have the same problem. Sometimes i think it's just me because other people seem to get by fine. If you are cutting back calories and working out then your body is going to feel hungry at first because it's used to a certain amount of food. I like to have snacks like mini carrots with some almonds or a yogurt and banana with lots of water and that seems to get me through. AND I always keep celery on hand for the real hard days. Empty calories but helps curb the cravings. I've found that after a couple of weeks I don't feel as hungry as often but it was a mental game for the first few weeks. I had to tell myself that I had enough to get me by and that I wasn't really hungry. Oh and do lots of abs. When your abs are sore you don't feel the hunger as much. lol
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary to see what you are eating but for me protein and a little fat helps a lot. My absolute favorite snack that I eat every afternoon is a medium gala apple with a T of peanut butter. It's sweet, it takes time to eat and it really fills me up until dinner. Baby carrots with roasted red pepper hummus or celery with laughing cow garlic and herb cheese work really well too. Almonds are good but I have to eat too many to not still be hungry. And absolutely, water, water, wter!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Spread out your calories so you can have a couple of snacks. I find hot drinks tend to help too, more than cold ones. I always save around 150 calories for evenings when i know i'm at my hungriest and am likely to snack.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS hungry too :( I eat lots of protein, eat lots of fiber and drink lots of water and I still find that I'm never satisfied! UGG! What I don't understand is when I read posts from people saying they can barely make the 1200 calorie mark and me, well I have no problem....lol
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You also have to realize that you will probably be hungry a lot of the time. There's really no way to eat a large calorie deficit and not, at some time, feel hungry. As soon as I accepted that fact, the easier the hunger was to deal with. I fasted for 24 hours a few times just to see what "real" hunger felt like. After that, normal hunger between meals was hardly noticeable. Good luck.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Celery and a bit of peanut butter works for me too. But some days, I am just hungry - have to just deal with it I guess.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree with spreading out you calories. I eat every 2 hours and I am rarely hungry.

A typical day:

bfeast: 1 egg, 2 slices of Canadian bacon, a low carb tortilla, and 1/2 cup low sodium V8 juice.
    snack: 20 almonds
    Lunch: Left overs today, Green salad with cut up veggies and half a can of tuna, and stir fried eggplant and tofu
    snack: Whey protein shake with 1% milk
    Dinner: Meat ball wrap
    Snack: 1/2 cup ricotta cheese mixed with a little vanilla and splenda.

All in all about 1500 calories
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good. Spicy almonds are better, yum. Protein shakes help me.
  • CarolynGSilva
    CarolynGSilva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Half of a protein bar, like Pure Protein or Zone, and a glass of water helps me feel more satisfied. It's about 100 calorie snack.
  • CarolynGSilva
    CarolynGSilva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Really like your quote about pain and suffering. A lot of a weight loss effort seems to be getting the mind around some truths and/or distracting oneself from cravings with activity. I like to play bridge or solitare online to get my mind on something other than food.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Proteins and fats will help you deal with hunger. Like nuts, cheese (string or cut from a block of cheddar), avacado.