I feel different but I don't look it!

Options
I love to work out and am getting back into it after six months. I have 20lbs to go just to get back to where I started. Eating can be a challenge for me but the longer I work on it the easier it is. I have been working out and dieting for almost 2 months now and I feel great, in control, but my motivation is dying as my weight has stayed the same. My measurements are the same. To got 2 week without seeing a difference is one thing but to go 2 months just seems wrong. Any advice or encouragement out there?

Replies

• aimeemaryrose
    Options
    That does sound rough, maybe it will all come off in one go? Sometimes I don't see results for ages, and then suddenly it happens. Keep with it. At the very least, you're feeling in control and good about yourself. If you give up, it will only make you miserable. Hugs xx
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Okay I know I would be freaking as well if I wasn't seeing any changes but either way what you are doing is making yourself healthier! You are changing your life and its for the good so please try to keep motivated. Maybe you can up your calories?
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel discouraged but do be. You feel good because you're doing your best and taking care of your body the right way. that's what's #1. As for the weight I had the same problem. I was at a stand still. But I recently lowered my sodium levels and am starting to loose a lot of water weight. Did you check your salt levels lately?
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Maybe look over your meal plan and see what is goin' on? Maybe up your workout if you can. My first month was pretty tough, until I changed my diet for the better...best wishes xo
  • wannalive
    Options
    Maybe there are some other numbers that you can start keeping track of, which will show change even when weight or measurements don't. Resting pulse rate is one. Maybe the time or distance of your workouts, or how much weight you can lift, or number of reps, or something, could be another. Flexibility can be measured with a ruler, sitting down reaching for your toes. I also like dspearsb's suggestion about sodium and water weight.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Can you make your food diary public so we can take a look?
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's tough!! I went one month without seeing any changes and went nuts; I can't imagine two months! I agree with some of the other comments... Perhaps take a look at the different nutrition amounts to see if any slight adjustments can be made.

Perhaps the sugars are a smidge too high, and bringing that down could help (I heard recently the body burns sugar first before it burns fat! Annoying when you crave chocolate some days!).

Someone mentioned the sodium levels. I've definitely noticed a difference once I kept those levels better under control AND started drinking more water to keep everything flushed out.

Maybe your metabolism is naturally low (like mine!!), so a cup of black coffee in the morning to kick it in gear? I've also started doing HIIT workouts 2-3 times a week that bring up my heartrate for the remainder of the day. (HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training)

I think everyone's body has different "triggers." Just gotta find the right trigger...

If you have any questions or need support/encouragement or whatever... let me know!!
  • momroe
    Options
    Hang in there, maintaining is better than gaining.
    Trying doing some different exercise than normal. our bodies get used to a certain amount of exertion and then go into maintain mode. Doing something different or something extra might give you a kick start again. Also, I try not to record my exercise until late in the day, so I don't eat my way thru all the calories I've earned by working out. This seems to be helping me eat less and helps my exercise burn more of my body fat rather than just allowing me to eat more.. Stay with it- u can do it.:happy:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training? My advice is to add it if you aren't. Muscle burns more calories, even while you are resting. So that raises your BMR, and helps you in the long term. Definitely try it if you aren't already.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you aren't noticing any changes in weight or inches, you need to change it up. Hard to know what to change until you do a little detailed recording and then experimenting. You might have to change the QUALITY of your food or the way you exercise. You could be eating too little or too much. Maybe you need to get a physical. I gained weight and couldn't understand why because I was convinced I wasn't overeating. Turns out I had a medical problem that was causing it. Don't give up, but DO change things one by one until you find the right combination. There is a lot of help on MFP to give you ideas on what to start with first.
  • noahlh
    Options
    You should indeed share your food diary so we can take a peek. The science is simple -- if you're not gaining (or losing) weight, then you're eating exactly the number of calories you need on a daily basis. To lose weight, you'll have to reduce calories or increase exercise.

Also, one thing I've found when using MFP is the tendency to "cheat", though non-intentionally. You need to be realistic about what you're actually eating. I just had a sandwich at a local sandwich shop. I can look up and see that a Subway 6" sub is 320 calories, but I know that the sandwich I just had is bigger than a subway, had some oil on it, and is likely more like 500-600 calories. It's easy to click that 320 calorie button, but you're only cheating yourself.
  • ImBabyBunny
    Options
    Hang in there! Just stick with it! I seriously am going through the same thing! I was eating wayyyyyyyyyy to much fat, since I cut some out, I can finally see some little results! Your doing a good job just sticking with this and not giving up! We are a team! =] We want you to succeed!!!!!!=D
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I'm and right there with you! I haven't lost anything significantly since last June! I know why too. I was eating enough to just offset my exercise and hence -what went in I sweated off and had no deficit! BUT I DID NOT GAIN A SINGLE POUND IN 6 MONTHS!!
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I'm and right there with you! I haven't lost anything significantly since last June! I know why too. I was eating enough to just offset my exercise and hence -what went in I sweated off and had no deficit! BUT I DID NOT GAIN A SINGLE POUND IN 6 MONTHS!! For me that is more of an accomplishment then losing the 38 lbs I lost previously.

. Take pride it what you've accomplished and regroup and really analyze what you're eating and how much you're exercising - maybe you're missing something.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I love to work out and am getting back into it after six months. I have 20lbs to go just to get back to where I started. Eating can be a challenge for me but the longer I work on it the easier it is. I have been working out and dieting for almost 2 months now and I feel great, in control, but my motivation is dying as my weight has stayed the same. My measurements are the same. To got 2 week without seeing a difference is one thing but to go 2 months just seems wrong. Any advice or encouragement out there?

Hunni hang in there.

I came back after a 9 month break, having had a bit of an injury that took a lot of physio to get better. I put on weight during that time. 30lb in my case. I'm down 11lb but it was slow at first...

And it's frustrating. Your cardiovascular endurance has gone rubbish, your strength is gone, you feel out of shape, things that used to be easy are now hard and it's like starting from scratch. In many ways it's harder psychologically than physically.

But hang in there, once you get fitter you can train harder again and when you're able to put a real effort in again, and your eating clean again, the weight will come back off. x
  • temcbride
    Options
    This is all amazing inspiration and tips. The sodium thing may be the key. This site is the best! Thank you guys so much!
  • temcbride
    Options
    I also made my info viewable to the public. I will lower my sodium and up my strength exercise. Thanks again guys. Ill keep you posted.