Cutting carbs...

AmaLama87
AmaLama87 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I'm not talking about the fad carb diets! Just a disclaimer.

Can anyone give me a few tips on how to cut the amount of carbs I consume? I love wheat bread and nutella for breakfast. I usually eat veggies, chicken breast and brown rice for lunch. And for dinner I tend to have a meat, veggie and wheat pasta. Wheat bread, brown rice and wheat pasta are like staples in my everyday menu.

What can I use to replace these items?

This is a problem for me because I do great on my calories and protein but I almost always go over on my carbs!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Ama

Replies

• gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    if I were you i would only eat carbs at lunch and not dinner. you should always try to eat your carb earliest in the day as possible so your body has all day to process them. i would substitute your carb that you eat for dinner with a second veggie.
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    bump
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    I would try cutting out the rice at lunch and having veggies instead like a salad, or some fresh veggies with hummus. I try to limit my "starchy carbs" like pasta, rice or bread to once per day. Instead of pasta at dinner add an extra veggie, like sweet potatoe, or squash. I usually have egg whites and/or protein shake for breakfast, and then lunch is sometimes oatmeal or sandwich, and then ckn for dinner with veggies. Hope this helps!!
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    I would say eliminate one of the carbs like the one at lunch and have a piece of fruit or salad instead. Hope that helps!
  • melaka
    melaka Posts: 18
    Replace the rice and pasta with lettuce. It worked for me. You can even do that with bread. Now, instead of having a Turkey sandwich, I wrap it up in a lettuce leaf. and it tastes GOOD!

I also did the same thing for tuna salad. Instead of putting it on pasta, I put it on lettuce. I have cut my carbs way down doing this.
  • AmaLama87
    Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely be using these! Especially the lettuce wrap idea. :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I have this problem quite a bit! I would suggest trying to cut the portions of pasta and bread down a little and if in dinner time that would make it a bit on the small side, replace with lots more veggies or maybe a potato - I know this is mainly a carb food but I think it has less per 100g that pasta or rice. Also if you have something where rice is the main ingredient (chicken curry?) mix about half the rice you usually have with some frozen vegetables and it fills up the plate nicely as if you were to have all rice :D
    For lunch I sometimes have a tortilla wrap with chicken and salad (my diaries public if you want to have a look) the wrap has about 10g of carbs less than 2 slices of bread, so that can cut it a bit :)
    Do you like eggs? Scrambled or boiled I usually have them and they are quite filling. I once heard of a recipe just for a snack/light lunch with a cut out pepper and fried eggs, that was nice. It was on www.skinnytaste.com which has a list of ingredients especially for low carb.
  • AmaLama87
    I have this problem quite a bit! I would suggest trying to cut the portions of pasta and bread down a little and if in dinner time that would make it a bit on the small side, replace with lots more veggies or maybe a potato - I know this is mainly a carb food but I think it has less per 100g that pasta or rice. Also if you have something where rice is the main ingredient (chicken curry?) mix about half the rice you usually have with some frozen vegetables and it fills up the plate nicely as if you were to have all rice :D
    For lunch I sometimes have a tortilla wrap with chicken and salad (my diaries public if you want to have a look) the wrap has about 10g of carbs less than 2 slices of bread, so that can cut it a bit :)
    Do you like eggs? Scrambled or boiled I usually have them and they are quite filling. I once heard of a recipe just for a snack/light lunch with a cut out pepper and fried eggs, that was nice. It was on www.skinnytaste.com which has a list of ingredients especially for low carb.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.