Ephedra

Options
Has any one used Ephedra to help burn fat? If so, has it helped?

Replies

• lildee4567
    Options
    Yea I used it along time ago before they took it off the market. I lost so fast but my heart would race like crazy. I lost like 15 lbs in weeks but I was skating everyday all day too.
    Ive been looking for some but its hard to find. If you take it pls be careful.
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    I used it years ago in my early twenties and it made me bulk up on top, i felt awful. I wouldn't reccomend it.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've used Ephedrine and this is week 3 (keep in mind that I'm doing this for contest prep). Has it helped? Well, I'm not sure... I am taking my 3-week pics this weekend to compare my physique to 3 weeks ago. Hopefully I will see a difference.

Remember that Ephedra or Ephedrine on its own will not have much of an effect. My coach recommended (for me) taking 8mg of Ephedrine first thing in the AM along with Green Tea (double bag) and 15-20 minutes later be doing my walk for an hour, making sure my HR is 130bpm while I'm walking.

I do this on an empty stomach as we want to burn the fat while reserving my energy for things I have to do later for being competition ready.

If you google it, you'll see that the cafeine is what helps the Ephedrine be effective in fat burning or boosting metabolism (it works for 4 hours).
  • cheangela
    Options
    Several years ago I used Ephedra to power through long workdays. As a result, yes, I lost a lot of weight. I also, however, suffered from a lot of side effects like dehydration, headaches, and my heart rate as uncontrollable.

You might say "I'll just drink more water, take an advil, and not work out" but it's not that simple. Ephedra does awful things to your body and the time it will take you to recover from the damage it does to your inner bits does not make it a worthwhile substitute for a healthy diet and exercise.

Allow me to add the fact that about a year after I started taking it, Ephedra was pulled from the shelves of all the places I usually got it. I instantly gained 20+ pounds in the 2.5 months following the ban despite the fact that I was exercising all the time.

It's not worth it. None of those magic pills have lasting results. If you want extreme weight loss quick, try something like the Eat to Live plan (Dr Fuhrman) and exercise a lot.
  • FatDoctor
    FatDoctor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The plant Ephedra, contains active ingredient alkaloid ephedrine - closely related to amphetamines - in most countries controlled substances. There were attempts to use amphetamines to suppress appetite, however side effects such as insomnia, aggressive behaviour and addiction issues have placed veto on the such study. The proper diet and exercise regimen far more safer option. I would not recommend to attempt to replace a healthy choice of lifestyle change by dangerous illegal drugs.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I don't know how emphatically I can express this.....do NOT use Ephedra. It used to make my heart race, as well. My blood pressure went sky high and I HAD A STROKE using Ephedra. I was lucky - the right side of my face was paralyzed and I couldn't speak - I got all function back after months of physical and occupational therapy. I had to teach myself how to talk again.

Please, please, PLEASE leave that alone!
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    If you are looking for something to help you lose weight, try chromium picolinate. It's a vitamin, perfectly safe. My doctor recommended that I use it to help my hunger issues. It also will help you metabolize sugars and carbs more effectively. I would use it first. Ephedra is bad for you
  • mattonfire
    Options
    If you take an ephedra/ephedrine stack (with caffeine), yes, it will work. But take it from me, you will feel like absolute crap - especially if you take it frequently. And once you stop taking it, the weight will find its way back. It is a short term solution to a long term problem.
    I took pills from about 2001 to 2004, or whenever it was pulled from the market. I was really thin then, but after I could no longer get my hands on the pills (for a decent price), all that weight quickly came back.
    Oh, and the side effects: Rapid heartbeat, sleeplessness, never-ending drymouth, frequent wild mood swings, soft teeth (yeah, really) and just an overall feeling that you're going to die.
    So don't take it.
  • MSQUEEN52
    Options
    In 2002, I used a weight loss product that contained ephedra, at the time. Of course, after ephedra was taken off the market, the supplement I was taking was modified, to exclude it. I understood there were problems using ephedra or products that contained it, but I took the risk anyway. I lost 30 lbs. within six months, during which time I also excluded breads, pastas, potatoes, etc. from my diet and included more salads, lean meats, and vegetables, I also drank lots of water, which I have always enjoyed. One thing I DID NOT do was take the supplement with CAFFEINE. To avoid the nervousness and elevated heart rate, I drank either water or Crystal Light. I was never one to engage in exercise routines/programs (and still don't), but I would walk a block or two with my husband on occasional evenings. Overall, I was very pleased with the results; however, with the many warnings and the unmarketability of ephedra, I DO NOT recommend trying to locate it in other countries and through friends because rarely does the FDA remove a product from distribution that is not harmful!!! I may have been among a small population of dieters that did not notice any adverse side effects at the time; however, in 2008, I had emergency heart surgery and have had two strokes since then. I cannot say these issues were a result of the ephedra because they happened six years after taking the supplement, but the damage could have occurred incrementally without any obvious manifestation until my heart condition became life threatening! All I can say is -- JUST DON’T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am taking my time and eating healthy meals from the South Beach Diet and am progressing well!!!
  • MSQUEEN52
    Options
    In 2002, I used a weight loss product that contained ephedra, at the time. Of course, after ephedra was taken off the market, the supplement I was taking was modified, to exclude it. I understood there were problems using ephedra or products that contained it, but I took the risk anyway. I lost 30 lbs. within six months, during which time I also excluded breads, pastas, potatoes, etc. from my diet and included more salads, lean meats, and vegetables, I also drank lots of water, which I have always enjoyed. One thing I DID NOT do was take the supplement with CAFFEINE. To avoid the nervousness and elevated heart rate, I drank either water or Crystal Light. I was never one to engage in exercise routines/programs (and still don't), but I would walk a block or two with my husband on occasional evenings. Overall, I was very pleased with the results; however, with the many warnings and the unmarketability of ephedra, I DO NOT recommend trying to locate it in other countries and through friends because rarely does the FDA remove a product from distribution that is not harmful!!! I may have been among a small population of dieters that did not notice any adverse side effects at the time; however, in 2008, I had emergency heart surgery and have had two strokes since then. I cannot say these issues were a result of the ephedra because they happened six years after taking the supplement, but the damage could have occurred incrementally without any obvious manifestation until my heart condition became life threatening! All I can say is -- JUST DON’T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am taking my time and eating healthy meals from the South Beach Diet and am progressing well!!!