Whole egg vs egg whites?

Options
What are the benefits of eating just egg whites vs. the whole egg?

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Calorie count. An egg whiteis only 15 calories vs. the 70 in the whole egg. However, some also say the most nutrients are in the yolk. Check it the details here: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

In the end the decision is yours. I usually do at least one full egg.
  • mattonfire
    Options
    Egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol. But egg whites have a lot of protein. If you're not worried about cholesterol, go for the whole egg.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    less calories (like 50) and less cholesterol. I am no expert. :laugh:

In my 3 egg omelette I have 3 egg whites and one yolk.

I am not afraid of yolks, I just find it's something I can do to lower the calorie count quite a bit and still have my egg dishes (for the most part).
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I don't usually count my calories - but watch my sodium intake like a hawk :laugh:

I prefer the whole egg myself. I can't be bothered to separate the egg - but that is just me :happy:
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 egg yolks every morning at the moment...
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The yolks have the fat, calories, and cholesterol like they've all said here.

Eggs are really great for you though. One a day or so isn't going to do any harm to your diet. They are really nutritious. I always mix my omelettes/scrambles/etc as 1 whole egg and the rest egg whites. I notice that helps the flavor too, the yolks have all the flavor! I buy my whites pasteurized so I can also throw them into a protein shake for added protein.
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have read somewhere that the white somehow balances out the cholesterol in the yolk, so I think it's better to have them whole, or more white than yolk.

I would imagine just eating yolks would push your cholesterol up a lot.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I use egg beaters, the whole family does, this is made of just egg whites. We don't even buy eggs anymore. We have gotten so used to their taste.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I was talking with a friend about it and I've eaten just egg whites (just because the yold kinda grossed me out a little) and I was wondering what (if any) were the benefits. @ashley, no dieting here - I just like to be sure I'm giving my body the best!

Thanks so much you guys :)
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    Agree with what's been said already. Personally, I make my egg scrambles with one full egg and one serving of egg substitute. I've discovered that the egg substitute yields more protein (but a few more calories as well) plus, I know we wouldn't use the yolks if I separated the whites out... and wasting annoys me.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol. But egg whites have a lot of protein. If you're not worried about cholesterol, go for the whole egg.

We should not fear cholesterol or fat in natural whole food items, such as eggs.

We should be more worried about rising cholesterol from avoiding foods containing cholesterol due to the liver having to make much much more by avoiding foods like whole eggs.

It is common sense. Whole, natural food = Good for you and good health.

And we shouldn't be focusing on calorie counting. If you are eating Whole, unprocessed foods then there is actually no need to count calories and you would be getting nutrient dense foods.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, Grokette!

Me, I am weird about my eggs. I can only eat them in the following ways:

1) Fried over easy, with unbroken yolks
    2) Boiled medium, yolks included
    3) Scrambled with fried rice (ok to just have the whites here for me)
    4) In a frittata or quiche (ok with egg whites only or a combination of whole/whites)

Since I eat 3 every morning one way or the other, there's no way I could go without yolks. I have genetically good cholesterol (my doctor says) and always get a good reading, so I try not to worry about it.

If the yolks gross you out, don't even bother! :-)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, Grokette!

Me, I am weird about my eggs. I can only eat them in the following ways:

1) Fried over easy, with unbroken yolks
    2) Boiled medium, yolks included
    3) Scrambled with fried rice (ok to just have the whites here for me)
    4) In a frittata or quiche (ok with egg whites only or a combination of whole/whites)

Since I eat 3 every morning one way or the other, there's no way I could go without yolks. I have genetically good cholesterol (my doctor says) and always get a good reading, so I try not to worry about it.

If the yolks gross you out, don't even bother! :-)

Ha ha, we love eggs in my house............

I eat them fried, boiled, poached, scrambled, in omelettes, in my protein shake, egg cremes, crustless quiche, deviled, etc......

We eat between 3 and 5 dozen of eggs per week and it is just me and my husband and 2 dogs.
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    My mom has elevated cholesterol levels and mine are slightly elevated. We stick to egg substitutes but mostly the egg whites in a carton.

One egg yolk has 200-215 mg of cholesterol which doesn't seem like much but if you eat a 4 egg omlette every day for breakfast it adds up.

Here's an article from the mayoclinic I found
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

We should not fear cholesterol or fat in natural whole food items, such as eggs.

We should be more worried about rising cholesterol from avoiding foods containing cholesterol due to the liver having to make much much more by avoiding foods like whole eggs.

And we shouldn't be focusing on calorie counting. If you are eating Whole, unprocessed foods then there is actually no need to count calories and you would be getting nutrient dense foods.
    LOL - I think you are on the wrong web site - One of the main reasons I use MFP is Because it helps me count my calories and keep to reasonable limits and makes it much easier to lose weight. I agree that non-processed natural food is best, but too much of any thing - healthy or unhealthy - can lead to weight gain.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

LOL - I think you are on the wrong web site - One of the main reasons I use MFP is Because it helps me count my calories and keep to reasonable limits and makes it much easier to lose weight. I agree that non-processed natural food is best, but too much of any thing - healthy or unhealthy - can lead to weight gain.

Yeah. Fruit is whole and unprocessed but if you eat too much you will gain weight. And weight loss comes down to one fact: Calories in vs. calories out.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have WHFoods.com (worlds healthiest foods) bookmarked on my computer. I'm trying to lose weight and build muscle so my body needs the high protein, good fat, foods. I don't consider myself on a "diet" but I do call it the Super Foods diet. The whole egg has a lot of good benefits that make it worth eating. I boil a lot of them at a time to have available for breakfasts during the week. And, I'll add one to my Egg Beaters if I'm cooking them.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the cholesterol in the yolk -- dietary cholesterol does NOT affect the cholesterol in your body. I know, it's weird. But fat intake does. So when I'm making an omelette, I usually use two whites and one whole egg.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I heard that food cholesterol doesn't affect your cholesterol, so I don't worry about it too much :smile: What do you guys do with the egg yolks though? I never separate eggs because it would be a waste unless I was making custard or something. Plus, I love yolks! Eggs are sort of expensive so I prefer to not waste anything :laugh:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I cook the yolks up (microwave and give them to my dog. :happy: