Protein shakes/Meal replacement

Options
Normally I do not eat breakfast. I work the night shift and until I wake up it's almost lunch time. So, I was thinking about doing a protein shake or a meal replacement shake to keep up my metabolism. Has any one done this? Is this something that is okay to do? Any suggestions on what to get?

Replies

• lorirogs
    lorirogs Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk powder at CostCo is great! I have it 2x a day, one for breakfast with strawberries blended in and another before my nightly workout. It has 50g of protein with 2 scoops. My protein goal is 130g a day. Don't skip meals & eat within 5 to 45 minutes after waking up. Good luck.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I do protein smoothies because I'm a vegetarian. I don't supplement them for meals though. I just make them part of my breakfast and afternoon snack. I think it would be wise to add in a protein shake, it's better then skipping meals! I use Whole Foods Whey Protein powder in Vanilla. It comes in a big canister and lasts a while. It isn't too expensive either, like some of the protein powders can me.
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    Of course it's okay...
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I usually have them every morning for breakfast after my workout. If I don't work out, I usually go for something else like fruit/cottage cheese... I don't think it's a bad thing to have them for breakfast though, they are so filling. My tummy can't handle breakfast first thing in the morning, but it can handle protein shakes!
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning with Chocolate Shakeology!!
  • TheQueenishere
    Options
    I just started having one for breakfast and add either peanut butter or fruit :)
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I drink this one every day...the chocolate one. I add almond milk and frozen fruit. It has 100% of daily vitamin and fiber requirements too.

http://myvega.com/products/whole-food-health-optimizer/features-benefits
  • LadyCrimson
    Options
    My personal shake of choice for the morning is GNC's Strength and Agility. Good source of lean protein (Important because my workout regimen is stepping up), vitamins and calcium without being as calorie heavy as some MRS I see out there (Only 170 cal). I typically couple it with a women's multivitamin and then have a piece of fruit mid-morning to kick-start my day!

I love the convenience of a MRS in the morning because I am *so* not a morning person- even with my overall increased energy levels!
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    My wife has Chocolate Shakeology with milk, ice, and peanut butter every morning. It would be agreat way to start your day off.
  • DJChutfield
    Options
    I've been on Herbalife meal replacements for about a year now. The program starts with a shake for breakfast and lunch and a real dinner with an AM and PM snack. After the initial 15-20 pounds, I switched to just a breakfast shake and solid food for everything else. It tastes great and I throw in a scoop of Isoflex protein for good measure. I normally have no time for breakfast either in the morning (not exactly a morning person) so shake is perfect. Give it a shot!
  • IndyFit52
    Options
    Pardon me if this comes across as criticism, but drinking a protein shake in the a.m. won't do much to increase your metabolism. Increasing you, honestly, is the only way to increase your metabolism (i.e. metabolic rate). And the only way to increase you is to gain fat or muscle. As you gain weight, your metabolic rate increases which means your body requires more calories to sustain its basic physiological functions. Most fitness experts encourage their clients to gain lean muscle mass in order to increase their metabolic rate which in turn helps you to burn more calories throughout the day.

True, there is something called the thermic effect of food which means your body burns calories to process the food you've eaten, but it's hardly even close.

Yadda yadda yadda - what's the point? The point is, clever marketers have convinced people it's essential to get protein in your system as early in the day as possible in order to turn on your fat burning metabolism. Not quite the whole truth. Your body will burn fat if you simply use more calories than you consume.

That being said - Protein shakes and MRS are perfectly acceptable in the a.m. if you can palate the taste and texture. It's after all, just liquid food.

I replied just in case anybody out there might be operating under the metabolism myth.