I want to love running

Options
I’ve never been one to run just for the fun of it, and I never saw the point because I hated running (memories of running the mile in elementary school haunt me). Now I’ve turned a new page and want to run, even though I still don’t like it:grumble: To motivate myself to start running, I signed up for Crazy Legs, an 8k run that supports the University of Wisconsin athletics, which will be on April 30th. I’ve started C25K this week, and week 1 was pretty easy. I’m afraid that I won’t make progress fast enough and then end up killing myself when it comes time for the 8k.

Any advice out there for a beginner runner? To give you an idea of my endurance, I jogged/walked 3 miles in 40mins today (could have kept walking but jogging was out of the question).

Thanks!

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Ooooh! I can give you my 2 cents!!! I too wanted to love running, and I tried the C25k program but it wasn't for me. So, I started slowly. running when my body could handle it. It's much easier now being under 200lbs, but I was still managing. Now I can run 2.5 miles at once, but my hip can bug me if I go toooo fast. Bottom line, listen to your body, and go in little spurts, and gradually increase your times, and you'll be a runner in no time. It took me about 4 months to get to the pace I'm at now. (5.0)
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    And I have the opposite advice.

I like the Couch to 5K Training Program.

It has you walking/running 3 days a week and is designed to get you ready for a 5K in 9 weeks. (Not sure how long you have to get ready.)

You can read about it here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    i've had a strong desire to run and have never been a runner. I have started the C25K last week and am hoping that will help me get into it.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    dont go too far too fast, you'll pick up an injury - steady building is best, follow the c25k and you'll be fine. The adrenalin on the day will give you a big boost!!!! Good luck and enjoy yourself
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    dont go too far too fast, you'll pick up an injury - steady building is best, follow the c25k and you'll be fine. The adrenalin on the day will give you a big boost!!!! Good luck and enjoy yourself
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Bump - me too!
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    Also, as an aside, research has shown that the optimal time to exercise, as far as heart rates, muscles, testosterone levels, etc, is actually 6:00 PM.

However, if you are someone who struggles with making exercise a habit, then the morning would probably be better. No schedule changes or distractions to persuade you to skip days. Just make sure if you do it in the AM, you stretch your legs well before starting.
  • jlgrinstead
    jlgrinstead Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take your time. Run/walk combinations are a good way to keep running over longer distances. You might also want to look for a running group that would be at the same pace as you. Paying for longer distance runs has helped keep me motivated. I've done 3 marathons. There's a lot of energy from doing a big organized run. I put about six months of training into each one. I'm a very slow runner, but I will finish. I pick events in cities that I want to visit. It's a good way to see a city is doing 26 miles on foot. I find running such a love/hate thing. I often hate it when I'm doing it, but I like the way I feel after I've completed a long run. Good luck.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got when I was starting out was "Go slower than you think you should, longer than you think you can." Esp the slow part. Running is not possible if you are hurt.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I did the C25K program and it worked very well for me. I went from not being able to run 1/4 mile without "dying" to a pretty good 5K time. I've now moved on to the bridge to 10K (the next program) and am up to 5.5 miles in an hour. My advice: don't push too hard. Rest on rest days (or do non-running exercises). I only run the three days a week and have seen improvements in how I feel and my distance/pace each week. Good luck!
  • ardnassac
    ardnassac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great post! I always *hated* running, but saw my best friend go from hating running to doing 5 and 10 k races! My main motivation is having music I enjoy. If I am distracted from actually running then it is better. Other people I know love watching tv/movies (only if your tread mill is set up for that).
    Just this week I have been able to run 3.2 miles straight through! I was so proud today when I did a total of 3.5 miles (including cool down walk).

It will happen if you stick to it! Like other said just take it slow and listen to your body, gradually increasing speed, or distance. Also I give myself days off from running. I think it is really hard on my body and do elliptical or recumbent bike between my runs.
    Good luck! you can add me if you want more support. :)
  • KiraLech
    Options
    Training for your first race is always the hardest mentally, so just stick with it. It seems far away now, but it will come a lot quicker than you know it. Once you've raced your first race, it becomes absolutely addictive, and makes it a lot easier to get outside or on the treadmill each day. Crazy Legs is supposed to be a great race, and that area is beautiful. Enjoy it!

Also, If you're looking for a little continuing motivation, there's a great podcast called Two Gomers Run a Marathon on iTunes. It's about two normal guys who grew up in Madison, and their journey from not running at all, to running a 1/2 marathon (season 2), a full marathon (season 2), and hopefully a faster marathon this year (season 3). They're been a huge inspiration to me, so I highly recommend checking them out. I think you'd get a kick from them if you start at the very beginning under Two Gomers Run A Half Marathon. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/two-gomers-run-half-marathon/id291021013
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm with you - I blame it on my PE teacher from elementary school - I very vividly remember him teasing me about the way that I ran... he was evil... LOL. I am taking a boot camp class, and was dreading the running part, but soon realized that after a pile of squats, lunges, push-ups, mountain climbers.... to take off and run felt really good (the 'wind in my hair')

I'd stick with the C25K program for now - I don't think I would try to accelerate the program yet - you do have until the end of April, and you don't want to get burned out on running. I started and quit C25K a couple of times, once because of a rolled ankle - and the last time I think it was because I tried to skip ahead in the workouts and got burnt out -
  • bfrice1
    Options
    This link should help - it's a DIY training program for a 5k.

8 Weeks to Your First 5-K (Prevention Magazine):

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/walking/fitness-walking-goal-8-weeks-to-your-first-5-k/article/98b088dc78803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

(Copy and paste it exactly as it is above - that line at the end is part of the web addy)
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! I so want this too. I am going to do C25K! today! :)
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're already onto a great start! Just do your best. You'll start to improve and get motivation from that. Celebrate the small victories, like making it a few feet farther than you did last time, or being able to take a hill that you could only walk up before. I like to run in our neighborhood because I use landmarks to gauge how much I'm improving. Keep it up and you'll be surprised at how much you improve in only a few weeks.

RE races: don't get down on yourself if, during the race, you have to stop and walk. Just the fact that you're actually doing it and finishing is a great acomplishment. Use your race time as motivation for your next race. Example, if you run your race in an hour, try to beat that time on your next race.
  • izzycoyote
    Options
    I just started running in December--first time I've run for about 20 years! I stopped running back then because I "hated" it....but I picked it up again because it will get me outside, and you can do it anywhere. I find I feel better when I run, and the insomnia I've had for the past 6 months has stopped. Totally worth it!
    I'm doing "10k Training" which takes you from 0 to 10k in 13 weeks. It's basically an intervals program, 3 days a week. Very manageable as I get in the habit of exercising again.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I was in exactly the same boat as you. I've always hated running and was always the last boy finished in High School when we had to run long distances in gym.

I did C25k last year and I honestly now enjoy running.

I do have to tell you that I had to repeat several weeks in the C25k and took probably 12 weeks to complete instead of 9, but who cares.

My only concern is deadline may be a bit agressive if you want to run the whole thing.

My recommendation is to do the C25k program and be kind to yourself, if you're struggling and need an extra week before going on, take an extra week. Do your 8k run and walk what you need to and be proud of your accompishment. Next year you can set the goal of running the whole thing or getting a better time.

By the way, if you have an I-phone the C25k App from Bluefin Software is worth the $2.99.
  • jencharneski
    Options
    I've never been a runner and started C25K last January. I loved it! I ran in my first half marathon this past October and was so proud of myself for sticking with it! Keep up the good work, it will pay off!!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the C25K program. We have a thread of other new runners who are doing it, if you're interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157757-new-couch-to-5k-c25k-thread-anyone-out-there-in-week-1