Too Hungry and Lazy to Exercise - Need Motivation!

Options
I have been the same size/weight for years - I've stayed the same by eating healthy food (in satisfying portions) and exercising at least three times a week. To achieve my weight loss goal of 44 lbs by some time this year, I've cut my calories and portions by more than half. I'm only seriously exercising now once a week (Zumba for an hour). The rest of the time, I'm thinking about how hungry I am and how much I resent the small portions. I have yoga videos, an exercise ball, and a walking path in front of my house - so there is no excuse! Any suggestions to help me stop thinking about my stomach and get motivated? Does exercise help hunger pangs? Inquiring minds want to know...

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Exercise definitely reduces my hunger...at least for the day on which I've exercised. Good luck, and hang in there!
  • blm2894
    blm2894 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I understand this completely. I just really got back into the grind of things after falling off for a little while. I have two grown dogs that need to be walked but i just don't I have no reason not to.
    I could use some motivation as well.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Exercise does help curb cravings. But, if you're actually legitimately hungry, it probably won't make that go away.

However, maybe instead of cutting your portion sizes so drastically, you cut them only a little and then exercise more? Then you could burn the extra calories but keep your stomach satisfied.
  • sunstreaks22
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but I posted pictures of myself from when I was skinny all over my apartment! My computer desktop, the refrigerator, the back of doors, everywhere! When I see the pictures, they make me WANT to get up and do something. :)
  • Sassy_H
    Options
    Exercise will help curb hunger pains but are you sure you're drinking enough water? I have find boosting my intake over last couple of days has helped the hunger pangs loads.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'd eat more..foods that allow you to stretch your calories. Try new recipes etc. Maybe try to do the working out with a friend or try a new activity to get you jump started again..like swimming or something.
    Drink a ton of water!
    Plan a reward for yourself...like a beach trip once you've achieved GW. I posted a thread about my list of things I'm going to do..sort of like a bucket list..but just things I'm going to do whenever I'm at GW!
    I have rewards planned for myself every step of the way b/c I chase after a carrot!
  • lchester23
    Options
    I am a newby but I am following my doctors advice that starving isn't ever the answer or the results will be temporary. Their are lots of snacks that you could have that have very little calories. He also said that your excercise routine will be harder to accomplish if you are too deprived on the food side. That is probably why you dont feel like excercising. Eat something healthy and I hope you feel better.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i use hot tea to fight that type of craving and then eat a small portion. is also distract myself by getting busy doing something else--laundry, housework, call a friend...
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Exercise will improve your mood and your outlook on a daily basis. As soon as I realize Im feeling a bit down, and typically hunger and cravings are worse at this time as well, I also realize that I haven't been exercising as much as I should.
    Us ladies who are over 40 are in danger of health issues and ostioporosis if we don't get in that physical activity. Seeing how much this effected my grandmother's quality of life is what helps me get off my butt and get in that activity!
    Don't exercise for weight loss, do it for your general health and your health in years to come!!!!!
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    exercise really really really helps my appetite, think it would be the opposite but it isn't for me, as long as I see to it that my nutrition is solid, I stop being hungry when I exercise
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    As ajweekley stated, drastically reducing your caloric intake so suddenly will send your body into shock and therefore will slow your metabolism down to compensate for the reduced intake. That will explain the hunger and lack of energy to work out.

The better way would be to cut down your calories 100 - 200 calories of daily intake, one week at a time. Meaning if you're eating 1800 cal/day, reduce it to 1600 - 1700 cal/day for a week. Then the next week, reduce it by another 100 - 200 calories of daily intake. Your body will literally ease into the calorie decrease without thinking that it needs to eat more and conserve itself for preservation.

At the same time, as you cut those small increments of calories, slowly increase your exercise duration by another 15 - 30 minutes, or slowly increase the intensity at which you do them. Your body again will easily adjust to it, then start realizing that since you're beginning to give more output, it will burn the stored energy (i.e. fat reserves) to allow for that extra effort.

And stay patient. Consequences are produced just as fast as the changes you make to create them.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    There is really no reason to be hungry. I'd be concerned about undereating...which can cause you to plateau or gain. The glycemic index is a really great tool to see which foods will help you get the most out of the calories you eat - which mostly means little carbs - no white carbs or sugar - and more protein and veggies. I also make sure to have a snack in between meals - nuts are great, just be careful to not eat more than a fistful. If I exercise while hungry I get really shaky and weak - so that only makes it worse for me.

I'd sure be unmotivated if I were hungry all the time! Sorry, this is not much of a motivating reply.

hang in there!!
    t
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Eating too low of calories will actually slow your metabolism. Eat the minimum 1200 per day PLUS some or all of your exercise calories. Your body needs fuel for the exercise that you do. If you aren't fueling properly, you slow your metabolism, slow weight loss and lose muscle instead of fat. So, even when you lose some weight, you are losing muscle.... so, you may weigh less, but you have a higher body fat percentage. It's a strange concept, but do some research! You need to eat to lose weight!!

Edit to add:
    Eat good, healthy, filling foods..... drink lots of water.... make sure you are getting 25 - 30g of fiber daily. Eat whole grains and minimal white starch. Fill up on veggies! Add them to every meal! They add bulk and nutrition without many calories.
  • NCrane
    Options
    When eating remember that when you look at your plate it should be half vegetables, 1/4 starch. 1/4 lean protein. I just started 2 weeks ago and eat 3 full meals, and 2 snacks and I have lost 19 lbs. I also excercise daily. Even if it is just 20 min walk, I still get up and do something. I agree with everyone else about drinking plenty of water, it definitely helps. Also, if you are hungry then you should eat. You don't want to put your body into starvation mode because your metabolism will slow down and that will make it even worse for you. A little trick I learned was if you feel hungry give yourself 10 minutes, if you are still hungry then eat but if you are not then it might be out of bordom or habit. Good luck with your weight loss goals! You can do it!
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As ajweekley stated, drastically reducing your caloric intake so suddenly will send your body into shock and therefore will slow your metabolism down to compensate for the reduced intake. That will explain the hunger and lack of energy to work out.

The better way would be to cut down your calories 100 - 200 calories of daily intake, one week at a time. Meaning if you're eating 1800 cal/day, reduce it to 1600 - 1700 cal/day for a week. Then the next week, reduce it by another 100 - 200 calories of daily intake. Your body will literally ease into the calorie decrease without thinking that it needs to eat more and conserve itself for preservation.

At the same time, as you cut those small increments of calories, slowly increase your exercise duration by another 15 - 30 minutes, or slowly increase the intensity at which you do them. Your body again will easily adjust to it, then start realizing that since you're beginning to give more output, it will burn the stored energy (i.e. fat reserves) to allow for that extra effort.

And stay patient. Consequences are produced just as fast as the changes you make to create them.

Wow - that's an amazing weight loss! Looks like you sure know what you're talking about!
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody - all helpful ideas! Just walked for 35 minutes, drank 20 oz of water and I'm having a bowl of tofu Pho for lunch (ticker). I'm really digging MFP! :happy: