P90x Lean vs Classic???

Options
Hey everyone. I just started p90x lean version about a week ago. I've read different opinions on which version makes you lose more weight. Some say the classic, some say lean.... What is your take on this? I need to lose about 10-15 lbs and tone up.
I'm also missing the nutritional guide, and am not sure on how much I should be eating. I'm a woman at about 5'5" and 130 lbs.
I'm eating about 1200 a day + or - on how much of cardio i did that day. Should i be eating more?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I just started p90x lean version about a week ago. I've read different opinions on which version makes you lose more weight. Some say the classic, some say lean.... What is your take on this? I need to lose about 10-15 lbs and tone up.
    I'm also missing the nutritional guide, and am not sure on how much I should be eating. I'm a woman at about 5'5" and 130 lbs.
    I'm eating about 1200 a day + or - on how much of cardio i did that day. Should i be eating more?

Thanks in advance.

I know lean is good for women because it tones and doesn't bulk you up like the classic one does. Always try to get at least 1200 cals in.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance.

P90X recommends a minimum of 1800 calories per day. so id you are set at 1200 and burn the average 600 that p90x claims then 1200 plus exercise calories should be enough. If you are only eating 1200 calories total you will not be able to complete the program as it is laid out, too few calories will hold you back from reaching your fitness potential that this program is designed to provide.

I would vote for classic as that is the way it was intended to be done. They added the lean as a lot of women are afraid of that much strength training for some reason. You will not bulk up on this program, even it you lift the heaviest weight you can handle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance.

I know lean is good for women because it tones and doesn't bulk you up like the classic one does. Always try to get at least 1200 cals in.

Classic will not bulk a woman up, women don't produce enough testosterone to build bulky muscle unless they are taking steroids or something similar
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I recommend and love the classic version. The lean version doesn't have enough variety for me. Keep in mind that P90X is an extreme workout program, it's not a "weight loss" program. With that being said, yeah people seem to lose fat during the lean program. My first round of the X classic I lost 24 pounds with a diet of 1700-1900 calories a day.

YOU WON'T BULK UP.
  • mrniceguy84
    mrniceguy84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey..

Im allowed to consume 1980 cals a day.. does that include like 1300 eating cals and 600 burned cals or is the 1980 all comnsume and then i eat whatever i burn thereafter??

Thanks
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Classic all the way! And I do believe you need to eat a bit more than 1200 just to make are you are going to have enough energy forthe workouts! Google the formula for your calorie intake on p90x, I found it! Btw, I didn't burn 600 calories per workout so keep an eye on Your calorie burn so you can Taylor to your needs!!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm doin' 'Power90' the program before P90X...I just finished DAY 59 today...I'm 5 lbs away from sayin' 'I have lost 20 lbs. with Power90' ...When I'm done this I'm goin' to do P90X Lean...I know its an extreme workout...I believe my fitness level will be up to par by than.

It will be interestin' to see the response on this topic...
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love the classic version! I lost 20 lbs the first round. I was eating 1700-1800 calories.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I am on the last month of p90x Lean version and have lost 12lbs so far, for my next round I want to try out the classic so that I can tone a little more. I am not big into weight lifting the classic has more of that the lean version has more cardio exercises and you do most of the weight lifting in the last month
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I love the classic version! I lost 20 lbs the first round. I was eating 1700-1800 calories.

The calories that you were eating where those including your exercise calories? or was that before exercising? I am currently doing p90x Lean version and have my calories set here to 1490 before exercise than I try to eat most of them back.

Also on last question how many rounds of p90x did you do to tone your body the way it is? I want to be able to look like that :smile:
  • seachelle
    Options
    I was just flat out trying to keep my calories at 1700 to1800 and was following the Marco nutrients P90X suggests for each phase. I wasn't using myfitness the first time that I did the P90X. I can tell you I don't burn 600 calories per workout! I used a heart rate monitor to track my burn.
    My after picture is actually my 4th round picture. I didn't loose anymore weight with the other rounds I actually gained 3 pounds but leaned out as I added more muscle to my frame.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I was just flat out trying to keep my calories at 1700 to1800 and was following the Marco nutrients P90X suggests for each phase. I wasn't using myfitness the first time that I did the P90X. I can tell you I don't burn 600 calories per workout! I used a heart rate monitor to track my burn.
    My after picture is actually my 4th round picture. I didn't loose anymore weight with the other rounds I actually gained 3 pounds but leaned out as I added more muscle to my frame.

Thanks for replying I am wondering if I have my calories set to low or if 1490 plus whatever I burn which depending on the workout it varies will set me up to close to 1700 or 1800. Thanks for the reply I was wondering about the micro nutrients so I just made the change to reflect my last month of p90 next time around I am going to follow them for every month and make the necessary changes to see if I loose more weight and tone. Thanks for the add
  • seachelle
    Options
    Play with the calories a little it's not set in stone. Took me some adjusting to find out what worked for me. Here are the Macronutrient Goals in Each Phase
    Phase I - Protein 50%, Carbs 30%, Fat 20%
    Phase II - Protein 40%, Carbs 40%, Fat 20%
    Phase III - Protein 20%, Carbs 60%, Fat 20%

Look forward to seeing your progress!
  • anya87
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. In addition to the 1200 calories, I eat to make up what i exercise off. I'm thinking i'm going to do a month of lean and then follow by the 90 days on the classic. I just don't think i'm ready for the muscle pumpin portion just yet. hehe
  • Agemini
    Agemini Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I just completed my first week of P90X Lean program. I was wondering if I should switch to the Classic. Anyone have any experience with both? Which one did you like better or had better results? Would it be ok if I switched to Classic now or should I finish up phase 1 in Lean first?:smile: