recovered eating disordered people?

Options
Hi Guys!

So a few years ago i recovered from bulimia (as well as depression and self injury) that i suffered for nearly 8 years. coming from this i know it will always be a struggle for me to find a balance and to treat my body the right way...... though i believe i am doing quite well now :) despite the disorder i am very over weight and want to get my body back into good shape where i can be happy and healthy for the first time. In 2008 i lost 30kgs in the RIGHT way and i am now ready to continue my journey and find the real me under this big person!

my question is if there are any other recovered sufferers on here? someone to connect to who understands how hard it can be to find that balance some days would be nice :)

Jess x

Replies

• punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    have you tried getting in contact with aba?
  • jelezzierose
    jelezzierose Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    aba?
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ya aba.com it's support for both active and recovering individuals with anorexia and bulimia
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    You're from South Australia!

I don't have an eating disorder, but I am from the northern suburbs ;)

Hi :)
  • jelezzierose
    Options
    Hey Sandra!!!

yeah i live at Christies but spend most of my time in hope valley with my girlfriend!

wow! another south aussie :) that's a surprise!!!!
  • jelezzierose
    Options
    ya aba.com it's support for both active and recovering individuals with anorexia and bulimia

thanks but i'm not looking for support really...... i was just wondering whether i was alone with that background or not. i have plenty of support on here and in my life in general :)
  • jelezzierose
    Options
    and we have similar starting weights Sandra..... my highest weight was 124kgs....... now weigh around 90 :)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    From time to time there is a similar post to yours in forums, im totally sure you are not alone here:)!
  • hellotini
    Options
    Yup there's a bunch of us on here. Not many, I think I've talked to maybe 6 or so in the week I've been on here.
  • hellotini
    Options

Are you sure you got the address right hun? That took me to American Bankers Association and .org took me to bird watching =/
  • jelezzierose
    Options
    [/quote]

Are you sure you got the address right hun? That took me to American Bankers Association and .org took me to bird watching =/
    [/quote]

lol :)
  • carolineamico
    Options
    Hello!
    I don't know about ABA, but you can count me in, as a former eating disordered person, who also cut. And after 2 babies, I'm now overweight, and trying to walk the tightrope of balance, and not go off the straight & narrow.
    You're NOT alone!
    Caroline
  • fitmom4ever
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!! After years of anorexia, obsessive exercise and binge eating, 2 pregnancies helped me start eating healthier (usually all 3 meals a day) and gain weight. Unfortunately I am so scared now trying to lose the last 10 pounds of the baby weight because of all the past issues. I don't want to exercise every day for fear that it will turn into a compulsion again, but then end up not meeting my exercise goal for the week. i try to eat less, yet still want to set a good example for my older underweight daughter, and have enough calories to nurse my baby. I don't even have a scale in my house right now and haven't weighed myself since joining MFP almost 2 weeks ago because I am terrified of seeing a big weight loss or no loss at all. Looking back over my food diary I can see myself starting to slip, not eating breakfast and a very lean lunch and dinner to make sure I have enough calories left to snack and binge at night. I really need some accountability and help with this.
  • mynameistwiggy
    Options
    Hi my name is Sarah, and I am also in recovery from an eating disorder (anorexia w/ binging and purging). I am hoping this website will help me stay on track and stick to my IBW, which I recently reached for the first time in my life--- scary! I'm glad that I'm not the only person here dealing with an e. d. It's the hardest thing I've ever faced. Please let me know if anyone would like to be MFP friends :)
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    we're around, but not all of us are recovered.

I have BED and am in the process of recovering.. I'm not fully though, but I want this year to be for me. I want to recover. I'm tired of hating myself and everything associated with this.

I'm glad to hear you're recovered. I do find some people on the message board might say things that I would find offensive, but I don't expect them to fully understand what the disordered mind thinks. Or even a recovering mind. Most of the time I bite my tongue and other times I don't. I'm just adding that because sometimes people do say things and I find them triggering. I don't know if anyone else here with an ED has the same experience when reading the boards though.

Congratulations for overcoming your hardships and I wish you the best in your future.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was anorexic when I was younger. Seems like a lifetime ago now though. I think I will always struggle with a bad self image but I have no issues eating anymore...in fact I gorge way more than I should. I never thought I'd be at this point in my life.

I was in a car accident one evening and the car got totaled. I was taken to the ER in an ambulance and my parents met me in the ER. On the wall, my dad said there was a sign that said "Feed the patient pizza". I couldn't see it since I was strapped to a wooden board with a neck brace on but I still remember the fear that went through me when he said that. It's such a hard way to lie. I hope you continue with your recovery!
  • prpldrgnetnatco
    Options
    Hi there!
    My name is Stephanie and I am a recovering EDNOS... I struggled for YEARS with it, was hospitalized for 3 months and then steadily gain weight after treatment. The only issue is... after treatment I gained and gained. I was so mad that the hospital did this to me, then realized I have been doing it to myself. I went from one extreme of not eating to the other of binging at night. I have started to recognize my triggers and noticed that I was hardly eating all day and then consuming a lot of calories before bedtime. Now that I have discovered my issues and know what to work on... the hard work begins. Walking that tight-rope between healthy and unhealthy... I am constantly worrying about sliding back into ED thinking\eating. I want to just be HEALTHY. And comfortable. I am working on loving myself... and that takes time. All I want right now is to just be OK with myself. Thats it. My Dr told me I should work on losing some weight since my BMI was really high and very close to "obese" which was a scary word to hear from a Dr when just 3 years ago I seriously needed to GAIN weight because I was dangerously low. I am sick of yo-yoing! I want this to be a lifestyle so I can be healthy and happy! Looking for some support I guess! But I need people who aren't in the ED thinking, I've been on other sites and relapsed due to some negative people... I do trigger rather easily, I just need some healthy advice! Let me know!
    ~Steph