Eating tons of excercise cals & still loosing?

Options
2»

Replies

• johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I burn quite a lot when I work out....and will usually eat at least half of them back. It's hard to eat all of them since I burn like 1000-1100 cals on 4 days of the week. I mean, that is A LOT of food. On non-workout days, I eat 1400 cals...and on workout days, I will eat AT LEAST 1900.

Ladies, ladies, what are you doing? I do an hour on the elitical and burn about 800 then some weights and stretching but 1100 and 1400? holy moses?! That's astounding.
    Honestly, I NEVER have a problem covering my calories as I'm currently only 1200 on my non workout days....
    Tell me your secret workout regimes.... pretty please.

Hey, I was burning around 800 as well doing an hour on the elliptical...but as I am now getting into "healthy weight" territory, I knew I needed to bump up my routine since my body isn't going to want to shed it so easily! hehe SO, I still do that hour on the elliptical (I am up to level 19 on the interval/random setting and I REALLY push myself)...then I add more time on other things to switch it up. Like the bike or treadmill....and I will burn 200-300 more calories plus weights. Even just switching it up can be helpful.

I do an hour on the eliptical and only burn 400 calories. I am staying within my heart rate for my age. I can certainly go to higher levels on the machine but this causes my heart rate to get to high and I thought that was not a good thing. Anyboyd?
  • clairegl
    Options
    Hey!

I burn quite a lot when I work out....and will usually eat at least half of them back. It's hard to eat all of them since I burn like 1000-1100 cals on 4 days of the week. I mean, that is A LOT of food. On non-workout days, I eat 1400 cals...and on workout days, I will eat AT LEAST 1900.

Ladies, ladies, what are you doing? I do an hour on the elitical and burn about 800 then some weights and stretching but 1100 and 1400? holy moses?! That's astounding.
    Honestly, I NEVER have a problem covering my calories as I'm currently only 1200 on my non workout days....
    Tell me your secret workout regimes.... pretty please.

Hey, I was burning around 800 as well doing an hour on the elliptical...but as I am now getting into "healthy weight" territory, I knew I needed to bump up my routine since my body isn't going to want to shed it so easily! hehe SO, I still do that hour on the elliptical (I am up to level 19 on the interval/random setting and I REALLY push myself)...then I add more time on other things to switch it up. Like the bike or treadmill....and I will burn 200-300 more calories plus weights. Even just switching it up can be helpful.

I do an hour on the eliptical and only burn 400 calories. I am staying within my heart rate for my age. I can certainly go to higher levels on the machine but this causes my heart rate to get to high and I thought that was not a good thing. Anyboyd?

Well, how much do you weigh? And what type of exercise are you doing? I'm 164 so that's probably one reason right there. Otherwise maybe you're underestimating your range?
    Good luck.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The trick to eating all of the exercise calories is:

accurately reporting them. (a HRM or underreporting machine estimates, which are always over by 15% or so for most people)

and deducting you BMR calories from them. This gets a little tricky, but you have to figure what you burn in an average hour (for me it's around 65 calories) and subtract those calories from an hour of exercise. So, if I walk for an hour and "burn" 300, I subtract 65 for a net burn of 235. Because, sadly, exercise doesn't add an hour to my day. (it just feels that way in the energy department).

The main thing is to play around with things and find what works best for you. As much as we'd love this to be an exact science, it isn't.:flowerforyou:

Okay now I have a question...I deduct my BMR calories, but I always assumed that my HRM was giving me a fairly accurate number of calories burned. Are you saying this isn't the case? I found that before I got my HRM I was constantly overestimating my exercise calories because I had no idea and just had to go by what I could find online. Is my HRM overcalculating my calories burned too?

Your HRM is telling you exactly what you burn in the time you work out. The catch is, you would have burned some calories doing nothing during the same time period. It's not overcalculating, but using MFP you have to deduct the calories you would have burned in the same time period doing "nothing".
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    VERY interesting point about deducting BMR calories from your excercise calories!!

Now, how do you figure out how many calories you use an hour during the day?? There's probably a % you could deduct from the excericse calories.
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    VERY interesting point about deducting BMR calories from your excercise calories!!

Now, how do you figure out how many calories you use an hour during the day?? There's probably a % you could deduct from the excericse calories.

I actually wore my heart rate monitor and just watched tv for an hour. In one hour of just sitting there I burned 55 calories.
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I'll have to do that once the HRM that I ordered arrives.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

I actually wore my heart rate monitor and just watched tv for an hour. In one hour of just sitting there I burned 55 calories.

Yep, that's how you do it.:wink:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a favorite HR monitor?