how come sex isn't listed as an exercise?

Options

Replies

• sniderwife
    Options
    I found a site that estimates 5 calories burned per minute of sex, so I just calculate and add it in myself. I don't like having to think about how much time we spent, though -- sort of spoils the memory.

@seemichellerun: I think whether it's part of your normal activity level depends on what "normal activity level" you selected when you joined. If you described yourself as active, you've already assumed a moderate level of calories burned each day, and maybe sex wouldn't make a difference. But if you describe yourself as sedentary (which it suggests for most people with desk jobs), the assumption is that you burn very few calories because you spend most of your time sitting, so most "activities" are probably worth recording. Spending 90 seconds to wipe off a counter might not be worth recording, but scrubbing a shower or vacuuming a couple of rooms might be -- I certainly don't do those things every day! And if sex gets your heart rate up (which I hope it does!), that might be worth recording, too.

WELL SAID!! I was thinking the same thing. I clean my house regularly - I have to because I've got 4 kids running around. But I also deep clean 2 houses a week. This is scrubbing counters, showers, cabinets, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, etc for 4 hours at a time. You bet your @$$ I'm going to log that work!!
  • Grits18
    Grits18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    According to WebMD -

Sex Burns Calories
    Thirty minutes of sex burns 85 calories or more. It may not sound like much, but it adds up: 42 half-hour sessions will burn 3,570 calories, more than enough to lose a pound. Doubling up, you could drop that pound in 21 hour-long sessions.

"Sex is a great mode of exercise," says Patti Britton, PhD, a Los Angeles sexologist and president of the American Association of Sexuality Educators and Therapists. It takes work, from both a physical and psychological perspective, to do it well, she says.

http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/features/10-surprising-health-benefits-of-sex
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Idk what you're talking seemichellerun, but when I clean or have sex it's an ACTIVITY :)
    LOL
    It's gusto baby....

But isn't it something you routinely do, therefore part of your normal activity level? If not, then well... yeah, sorry to hear that. =P

ROFL :) touche!
    I have my activity level set to sedentary and that makes sense for me. I have a six month old son that breastfeeds and uses me as his human crib..so I might as well have a desk job (although I get the breastfeeding calorie burned bonus). Sex doesn't happen everyday for me anymore, sadly, but true. So NO I cannot count that as an 'everyday' activity or normal. If something happens twice a week is that just enrolled into 'normal' activity? IDK.

Re: Cleaning, there is tidying up, washing dishes etc and then there is deep cleaning. When I'm hauling the vacuum cleaner up and down the stairs, or on my knees cleaning floors or running around my house scrubbing...that's definitely more.

In conclusion: I have a clean house, and I have sex not as often as I'd like.
  • TORNATO1
    TORNATO1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's not excercise when she does all the work hahahaha.
  • Melisha82
    Options
    maybe we should wear HRM's next time to see LOL
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It depends who's is doing all the work... lmao:tongue::happy:
  • shellywoodworth
    shellywoodworth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be dirty or explicit, but I was just wondering why sex wasn't listed as an exercise on the database. I mean, if cleaning is on here, it would make sense to add it. Plus, I bet our spouses/significant others would enjoy the benefits once we actually realized how many calories we could burn and we add that to our regular exercise routines! :smooched:

I wore my HRM (with my husbands permission) LOL, it was about 100 calories for 30 min.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I want to see peoples' status update with that listed...

"MFPUserX burned 167 calories doing 3 minutes of 'quickie sex' ".

ha ha ha holy crap!!!! thats fuuny! Or userx burned 205 calories doing ten min of masterbation.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'm not trying to be dirty or explicit, but I was just wondering why sex wasn't listed as an exercise on the database. I mean, if cleaning is on here, it would make sense to add it. Plus, I bet our spouses/significant others would enjoy the benefits once we actually realized how many calories we could burn and we add that to our regular exercise routines! :smooched:

I wore my HRM (with my husbands permission) LOL, it was about 100 calories for 30 min.

This is truly disheartening - hopefully everyone is getting their O because the 100 calories wouldn't be worth a GOOD snack ;)
  • kelligonzales
    Options

This is truly disheartening - hopefully everyone is getting their O because the 100 calories wouldn't be worth a GOOD snack ;)

Oh **** ha ha ha ha ha I better be getting my O for a 100 calories.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    It's not excercise when she does all the work hahahaha.

HA!!!!
    Funny how often this topic comes up!!

I'm with the "it's part of your usual routine" opinion.

I figure I cleaned and gardened and had sex before and didn't loose any weight, so I usually don't add in daily activities, only exercise. Of course there are exeptions, like digging a ditch in the garden or a super cleaning day, and I also wonder when I see "dancing, general" on someone's exercise log! :wink:
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Lots of discussion.... I agree with not wanting folks to know how often I'm doing the horizontal polka.
    And if you had multiple partners... what would your exercise log look like..... perhaps your friends would catch on to a lifestyle you may not want them to know. hahahahaha.

With all that said, I do enjoy a long lasting session of this time of exercise.
  • llbates
    Options
    Wouldn't want people to know every time I hit the sheets with someone, Thirty minutes of sex burns 85 calories or more, depends on how active your participation is, just log it under something else...
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Honestly, I don't understand why someone would log cleaning as an exercise. Do they not routinely clean their home? Ewww!

Not if I don't have to! lol I'm new at this, and sometimes I just want to eat the extra calories. However, I AM single, so therefore not too messy, but when I clean my tile floors, I mop them twice, and that is a LOT of work, and by gosh I'm gonna count it!
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Idk what you're talking seemichellerun, but when I clean or have sex it's an ACTIVITY :)
    LOL
    It's gusto baby....

But isn't it something you routinely do, therefore part of your normal activity level? If not, then well... yeah, sorry to hear that. =P

So people do do it routinely, LOL

This thread cracked me up for 5 mins. Can I count a good laugh.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Doesnt' really burn that many calories unless you're in like a 1 hour vigorous session.
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    LOL
    It's gusto baby....

So people do do it routinely, LOL

This thread cracked me up for 5 mins. Can I count a good laugh.

They do??

I hate them.

:grumble:
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Doesnt' really burn that many calories unless you're in like a 1 hour vigorous session.

I would surely have to ice my elbow then.

:embarassed:
  • Bigwig236
    Bigwig236 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well, lets stir up controvesy. its a male exercise after all.......
  • fitag
    fitag Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I read that having sex is equivalent to running up and down a flight of stairs or doing an aerobics session! ...but I get it depends on if the aerobic activity light, medium or vigorous! lol